Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....That did not like me. I'm not sure what it was either. Yesterday my wrists, knees and elbows started itching and my lips have swollen up. I'm guessing its an allergic reaction to something I just don't know what it is. The only thing I can guess is either Lemon poppy seed muffins. (which I've had before and loved and no reaction.) Or maybe the biospot that I put on the pups. (which once again, I've used before and no reaction.) Willow did have a weird "reaction" to it. She refused to walk, bit at her back, and yelped when she moved. So I immediately used Dawn dish soap and washed it off her. She's been fine since.

I've taken Benedryl which put me out for most of the evening. (I fell asleep at 7:30 p.m.) But its now 1 a.m. and the swelling is still there so I took some more benedryl and hope when I wake up, all this will be gone. :(

Anyone ever have an allergic reaction to something? What do I do if its still there tomorrow? Will it eventually go away? Help.. I've never had this happen before.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If you still have it when you get up I would go to the doctor or at least call your physician and see what they recommend. I have never had a severe reaction like that to anything so I don't know what else to suggest. I truly hope you are back to your normal self soon and it is nothing serious.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My appt is for 11:30. I was really hoping for one sooner. Whatever it is, is now on my hands along the knuckle area, my knees really bad now, and I noticed it along the top of my foot.

I've been trying all day yesterday and all night to figure out what I may have ate, drank, or touched that was different than in the past and I just can't pinpoint one particular thing. :(

Two more hours...argh! This itching is killing me.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
keep us posted after th Drs hope you feel better. I heard of people developing allergic reaction to things they used to eat, or use out of the blue.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm back. The dr. actually thought I should go into the ER to be seen and have bood work drawn. (I live in a small town and went to the clinic here.) She seems to think that if it was the biospot, then I would have a rash all over me. Instead it's localized to my knuckles, knees, and elbows. She gave me some meds and said I had about an hour and if it didn't work to go into the ER to have blood drawn and an IV so they could get a handle "on the situation". She also said because the itching started before I used the biospot that she really doesn't feel like its the issue here. She was thinking rhumatoid arthiritis or Lupis? I stuck to my guns about not wanting to go to the ER...so hopefully this medicine kicks in and I won't have to. Either way she wants me to come back for a recheck tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I'm back. The dr. actually thought I should go into the ER to be seen and have bood work drawn. (I live in a small town and went to the clinic here.) She seems to think that if it was the biospot, then I would have a rash all over me. Instead it's localized to my knuckles, knees, and elbows. She gave me some meds and said I had about an hour and if it didn't work to go into the ER to have blood drawn and an IV so they could get a handle "on the situation". She also said because the itching started before I used the biospot that she really doesn't feel like its the issue here. She was thinking rhumatoid arthiritis or Lupis? I stuck to my guns about not wanting to go to the ER...so hopefully this medicine kicks in and I won't have to. Either way she wants me to come back for a recheck tomorrow.
Oh no!! I hope the meds she gives you work. The emergency room can be so expensive. I thought of rheumatoid arthritis too. I hope it is neither rheumatoid arthritis or lupus. I will be sending up healing prayers for you!! (hugs) get better soon.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I really hope you feel better soon. I have suffered badly with eczema my whole life so I know how annoying the itching must be!

Keeping you in my thoughts & I hope the meds work!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
i have r/a and my doc gave me iprofbrufen(sp) to help with swollen joints and to dull the pain
i take these all the time until i had the same reaction as you are explaining the doc just gave me some antihistimines(sp again) and it disappeared
i can tell you i suffered with that itch for three days and i was exhausted from scratching and not sleeping properly
i hope you feel better soon

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Oh boy, I was just reading this post & how scary for you! I hate the doctor too, so I know how you feel. I'm glad it's going away. I've had a lot of rashes and hives, but never with the lips swelling. Good thing you got the medicine!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looking good this morning. No redness or swelling. I was really terrified last night that I'd wake up looking like Daffy Duck again and be all itchy again. But so far, so good. :cheer:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts