Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every weekend we go to my MIL's to do laundry (i won't use the public ones at my appt complex because i caught someone trying to steal my clothes) and i always bring Chico. Well, Chico loves it over there, or should I say he USED to. Every time my MIL would go near him yesterday, he would start barking at her and run away to either me, my husband, or my brother in law. I couldn't understand why he would do this, because he has always loved my mother in law. he even slept in her bed with her when i stayed the night there a while ago.

Well, come to find out, I guess she was playing with Chico last weekend when we were there and she was down on the floor with him, and she started play barking at him. Chico didn't like this so she told me he ran away from her...I'm thinking that's why he doesn't like her anymore, because she scared him. I didn't know any of this until yesterday. I got kind of mad, because Chico is so small, and people doing things like that to him can make him afraid of people he doesn't know, and I don't want that.

Not only that, but when Chico wouldn't go near her yesterday, she started chasing him trying to pick him up and she grabbed his harness and started pulling it, trying to pick him up by his harness! I yelled at her not to do that and told her he's very fragile and she can really hurt him doing that. My husband agreed with me, but she chalked it up to me and him being "overprotective" and "treating Chico as if he were a REAL baby." Well, of COURSE Chico is a REAL baby...he's MY baby! And I don't want him being treated like a rag doll. I got so mad so I just left, with Chico. I told my husband I'd come back and pick him up when our laundry was done.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
People should just understand you are the owner and if there is something you do not want them to do to you baby then they shouldnt. Whether it being feeding them something you dont want them to eat or something like this. Some people really annoy me. I get that to tho. Don;t be so protective, letting him run with much bigger dogs will be fine, he'll know to move away, etc etc

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
paint my world said:
People should just understand you are the owner and if there is something you do not want them to do to you baby then they shouldnt. Whether it being feeding them something you dont want them to eat or something like this. Some people really annoy me. I get that to tho. Don;t be so protective, letting him run with much bigger dogs will be fine, he'll know to move away, etc etc
I know, people will sit there and tell you not to be so protective, but God forbid something were to happen, it's us who will be upset, not the other people.

I have to admit, that I am VERY protective of Chico and a lot of people, except my husband, don't understand why...but I fell comfortable enough here to say. I'm only 19, but i've been told that I can't have kids (reproductive organ issues) so Chico is my kid. I treat him as if he were a person, because he's my baby and we're very attached to each other. Whenever I'm upset, he's there with me, trying to make me feel better. If I'm happy, he's happy and excited jumping all around. He's my best friend and I would just die if anything happened to him. I just hate it when people don't understand that he's MINE and I call the shots when it comes to him.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
If someone was to do that to gadget I would have beat them... I hate it when people are mean to dogs.... I caught Amanda picking him up by his harness one day and i told her if I ever saw her do that again I would have to get really mad... I haven't seen her do it since...

But one morning I guess my mom took Gadget out to the tent and tossed him on the bed(amanda was still in bed) and Amanda told Grandma not to do that to him because it could hurt him and my mom said she knew what she was doing and it wouldn't hurt him...then Amanda came in and told me and when my mom came in a few minutes later I told her to never do it again that YES it could hurt him... she got mad and walked out of the house.... She was back a few minutes later and never tossed him on any furniture after that....

I don't think she realized how much smaller he is than our Sandy was.... she tossed him on the bed every night when they went to bed...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that Chico's Mama. I am tho so glad you have a chi as you are right.. they are just like babies anyway. If i was ever to find out I could not have children it would be scary how many chi's I would have. You sound like a wonderful mum to me anyway so don't let anyone else think otherwise or upset you

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
:( Poor Chico, that was mean and very ignorant (in the true sense of the word).
Some people don't know how to behave around dogs, and really don't realize what they do as "play" with a dog, is not necessarily fun or mentally healthy for the dog himself.
I am glad that you stood up for yourself and Chico. He IS your baby, I certainly wouldn't tolerate someone barking in my dogs face any more than I would tolerate someone "crying" (or whatever the equivolent is!) in my human baby's face. My word, people can be senseless!
So sorry for Chico's bad experience, I hope he forgets about it :(

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I really hope he forgets about it...I don't want him afraid to go over there. He loves my lil bro in law (still kind of edgy around my lil sis in law because he doesn't know her that well)

I would think that by now though they would know how I feel about animals. I love them...no matter what kind they are. They have a cat that goes outside a lot, and i help my bro in law give him a bath all the time. I always bring canned treats over for him, and just yesterday, they had a sale on my cats brand of food...so I bought 2 bags and gave one to their cat. (i gave their cat a sample baggie of my cats food and he chowed down on it, so i guess that means he liked it) So its kinda stupid to treat my dog like that, knowing that its probably scaring the crap outta him.

We have to go to Los Angeles at the end of the month for a surprise b-day party for a family member, and i'm seriously reconsidering going because I don't want Chico traumatized by all the people. My hubby can go, I'll stay home...i hate the 4 hour drive anyways, lol.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rachael Polachek said:
Chico's Mama, can I just say that you are very mature for a 19 year old. I was such a dingaling at that age. :lol: You're one of my favorite people here and I always look forward to your posts and comments. You're a first rate human being, in my book. :)

Aaaww, thank you so much Rachael for the nice comment...you made me blush :)

I've had people tell me I act older than I am before...probably because I had to grow up so fast at a very young age.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I agree - people should really stop and think about their actions. I don't blame you for being upset about your MIL's treatment of Chico. He IS your baby and they should respect your wishes.

I would give the trip for the birthday party a little more thought - it might be a good thing for Chico - that is if you will be able to keep a close eye on him while you are there. We can't keep them isolated from the world, but we can demand that people respect our wishes regarding our babies.

<<<hugs>>> to Chico -

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I would have thought that you were much older also. :shock: Unfortunataly, some MIL can be a "pain in the A__!! :roll: It doesn't exactly make for a "Close relationship" either, that she was totally out of line in her behaviour towards your "baby Chico". You may have to "feed her with a long-handled spoon" for awhile. That is an Okla proverb! :wink:
My three Chi's are definitely my spoiled babies! they are also treated just like children. I know it really "bugs" my own Mom, but that is just the way it is. :D

sandra
www.chloescustomharness.com

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
My mom thinks it's great that I treat Lily like my child. In fact, she always says, "I couldn't love her more if you'd given birth to her." When she calls me on the phone she asks how I am and I'll start to tell her... she usually interrupts to say, "Enough about you. How's the baby?" :lol:

She's always treated all our dogs like members of the family. Nothing is too good for them. I guess I got that from her. :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
That really was a thoughtless thing to do and probably did scare poor Chico :( Now she has created a bad situation by making him afraid of her :roll:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
Chico's Mama, can I just say that you are very mature for a 19 year old. I was such a dingaling at that age. :lol: You're one of my favorite people here and I always look forward to your posts and comments. You're a first rate human being, in my book. :)
well said !! and my opinion exactly :wink:

i hope your mil will understand how you feel !! i feel exactly the same

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I guess my husband said something to her about it. I just hate it when people get so rough with him. I mean, my hubby and i get "rough" with him, but its a playful rough. But pulling on his harness and trying to pick him up by it is NOT a playful rough, thats a "get over here right now!" kind of rough, which i DON'T tolerate. i don't even get like that with him if he does something bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts