Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... they always make me so sad and angry! :foxes15: :( I feel so bad for ALL of the animals there, especially the dogs, obviously. They always look so lonely, sad, and sick. I know they cannot be well taken care of either, at least not at the pet stores around me. They never have any water, and when they do have water, they have to drink it out of those hamster water bottles! They're always sitting near their own poop too. I really hate how they have to walk and lay on those wire cages also! The prices are always SO outrageous too.

I will never ever ever purchase a puppy from a pet store, but I can't say that I haven't considered or wanted to walk out of the store on multiple occasions with a dog in hand. But, only because of all that I mentioned above. I feel like I would be able to save the dogs by getting them out of the pet store! Ugh! Seriously though, all of it just makes me sick! :sad4:

Every time I'm there, I always take out the chihuahuas to play with. I want to give them some company and a chance to run around and get out of their tiny wire cages behind the glass windows! What also makes me mad is that many of the chihuahuas in there have to be mixes. Without a doubt. Anyone who has seen a pure bred chihuahua would clearly recognize that some of the dogs they say are chihuahuas just aren't! Don't 'advertise' or label them as such when they aren't! But, regardless of whether they are a mix or not, I still take them out!

Here are some pictures from our (my boyfriend was with me too) trip to the place I hate:

There were two chihuahuas in the store today. We did not take this one out. I didn't get a good look at this little baby because it was just sleeping the whole time, but look how TINY! :sad7:

This is the one we took out. She is only 8 weeks old. :cry: I'm a firm believer in having the pups stay with their mom, if possible, for 12 weeks. I know many on here have gotten their pups as young as 8 weeks, sometimes younger, for many different reasons! But, sometimes you have to. If it's possible for the puppies to stay with their mom until 12 weeks, I think that's much safer, IMO. Anyways ... this little baby was also so so so tiny. I just couldn't believe it. Guess how much she cost? $1,499. Are you kidding me?! :roll:

All she wanted to do the whole time was lay on us! She would shake if she was not being held. But, as soon as you held her, she would instantly stop shaking and lay down like this across your chest. I wonder why. I wonder if she wanted comfort because she is so young or if she has a lovey and cuddley type of personality :love5:

She crawled really far up my neck to tuck her head under my hair. After moving my hair, she allowed us to take a cute picture! I really like her coloring. You can't see in the pictures, but she had a few spots on her as well!

I think she is just so cute and it broke my heart to have to leave her and the rest of them there!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Aww...I definitely feel the same way that you do, except I actually work part-time at a pet store.
The pet store I work at, however, is the only one in my town AND it's privately-owned.

So it's not a chain store that supports puppy mills and stuff. The most we do is take in the odd litter of kittens from locals!
Whenever I go to the bigger cities, I'm always surprised at the number of different breeds for sale behind those glass windows!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Grrr petland! I went in 3 weeks ago and saw a cute french bulldog puppy. I wanther. Went back a week later, still there, went back again, still there. 3 weeks and still alone in that cage :( I want her so bad but I'm guessing they come from mills even tho they say that they dont. And i'm having the most difficult time finding a breeder for frenchies but ugh I just dont want to support a mill.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I feel like throwing up just from thinking about where these poor dogs came from.
It literally makes me sick to my stomach. You think 1.500$ is a lot??? Here this pup
would cost around 2.300$!!! Yup and often it is not pure. They also often have
large mixed breeds and charge around 800$ calling it a "designer breed". URGH!
A mutt is a mutt is a mutt! Back in the day they were given away for free!(not
that it's a good thing either). And you are right, the dogs NEVER have water,
bowls are always empty. The cages are always dirty, the dogs look sick 100%
of the time. I can't stand the people that come and bang on the windows of
the cages either, just leave the dogs alone, they are not circus freaks! As much
as I wish to save them all, buying from a pet store just supports puppy mills, so
I could never do it. They need to ban puppy sales in pet stores, or at least adopt
out shelter dogs instead, with the same screening/interviewing process, and make
sure the dogs are spayed and neutered. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Your story broke my heart and brought tears to my eyes. If only we could take them all out of those deplorable conditions that would be great, but unfortunately that is not going to happen. That poor little one in your first picture looks way too young to be have been taken away from the mother and put behind glass on a wire floor.

One good thing I have to say that here in Ontario, Canada, they have banned the sale of puppies and kittens in pet stores unless they come from rescues. That should be a worldwide ban and it would put all of these horrible so called breeders...greeders...out of business.

·
Registered
311 Posts
We have a chain store here and luckily the only cats and dogs in it are those from local rescue that they are trying to find homes for. I am not a fan of chain pet stores, as we have had a lady here who has had a pet store since I was little so I try and give her all my business. The chain store just came about within the last couple years, thankfully there is only one & they appear to have a zero tolerance for Puppy Mills.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh thank goodness there's no pet shops i know of that sell puppies or kittens here in uk,most only sell rabbits or guinea pigs and fish i couldn't go in shops like that it would be too distressing

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I'm tearing up thinking about these poor babies in these stores. I wish there was a law against it! Poor puppies :(

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Luckily our petshops in the Uk don't sell dogs
But those chis are sooooooooo cute
I love the first one cuddling with the blankie

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ugh, I hate them too.

I can't believe those poor darlings are walking on wire bottomed cages?! That's terrible!

We were at a shopping centre yesterday and the kids wanted to look in the pet store. They had these tiny, tiny kittens that were maybe 4-5 weeks old and 2 tiny pom x jrt that they were advertising as 8 weeks but they were obviously younger.

They also had a 15 week old min pin x jrt (mini fox if you ask me not jrt) who was the friendliest little pup I have ever seen. I was sooo tempted to rescue her. My daughter asked the shop lady how much she was and the woman was sooo rude, she just snapped that she wasn't for sale yet?! Poor darling we didn't even get to let her out for a run :( I had to walk away or I know I would have done the unthinkable and bought her home.....

Worst part is they have signs all over the shop saying they don't support mills... Yeah right! :foxes15:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Just hearing makes me so sad. I know all our local pet store (even big name ones) adopt out from local shelters. They usually dont have pets onsite except on adoption Saturdays.

·
Registered
78 Posts
OMG first thing i gotta say is that your new chi looks very similar to my Klein..same sort of colouring and cuteness!

in terms of the petshops i do understand..wired cage like flooring is WRONG!!:foxes15:

Klein came from one but he was not in a box, the girls running the shop were keeping him with themselves behind the till area and he was given extra care as he was so little. i was not allowed to take him home until they had given him the strength he needed and they made sure i was the right person to take care of him (waited 3 weeks to get the "ok")
on another note the actual petshop and care they give (hygiene, comfort, food, etc) to their dogs and cats is good. every time i went in they were super clean and(no poops lying around) had fresh water (in bowls) and comfy areas to stay in with beds for some.

but i guess it all depends, overall the majority must be no good...they totally rip you off in terms of pricing, Klein cost me an arm and a leg... but it was love at first sight so its all worth it in the end:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
I went into petland yesterday. It was sad. There were two puppies in each cage except for one where there was a huge German Shepherd puppy in. It didn't look like he could do anything except for lay down. The cages did look clean but it still was sad to see them cramped up in there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts