Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading Tracy's thread about starting raw, and with the situation with Natura and problems we had with Wellness, and now that we FINALLY have our own place (lol) I'm really considering trying raw again. So I'll just go on down the line and hopefully you guys can help me out :D

1) Can you really feed any kind of meat? Like, if I buy a beef roast can I just cut in into portions? Or a pork loin, pork roast, or pork chops?

2) Are there any uncooked bones they CAN'T have? Can they have say, raw rib bones, raw pork chop bones, ect.?

3) How often do you need to add in organs and liver? Weekly? Monthly? Is there anything that they do need daily? (other than muscle meat)

4) Will it do harm if I'm not measuring out food every day? Say just throwing them a chicken thigh or leg and calling it a meal? Or do I really need to watch how much I give them every day? I used to measure out just muscle meat, but it's hard with bone-in meats.

5) I have a concern with fish. I've read that, even to dogs, raw fish can be dangerous. Is this true? Or can I just lightly cook fillets to rule out any possiblity of danger? And what about bones? If we catch some fish at the lake, and lightly cook it, will any tiny bones we miss hurt them?

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Answers below in bold

I was reading Tracy's thread about starting raw, and with the situation with Natura and problems we had with Wellness, and now that we FINALLY have our own place (lol) I'm really considering trying raw again. So I'll just go on down the line and hopefully you guys can help me out :D

1) Can you really feed any kind of meat? Like, if I buy a beef roast can I just cut in into portions? Or a pork loin, pork roast, or pork chops?

Yes you can.. but you must transition them onto it slowly or you could get v loose stools

2) Are there any uncooked bones they CAN'T have? Can they have say, raw rib bones, raw pork chop bones, ect.?
Just be careful on the size and density.. if they're too hard you're going to break their teeth.. i tend to stick to Chicken and Quail for our bone content.. its cheap and soft enough for her to chew quite happily
3) How often do you need to add in organs and liver? Weekly? Monthly? Is there anything that they do need daily? (other than muscle meat)
This is up to you and what your dogs stomachs can take.. I do Daisy's weekly but a tiny tiny bit because its so rich we get v loose stools and i mix it in with her boney meals.. some can give just organs and no problems
4) Will it do harm if I'm not measuring out food every day? Say just throwing them a chicken thigh or leg and calling it a meal? Or do I really need to watch how much I give them every day? I used to measure out just muscle meat, but it's hard with bone-in meats.
Personally i'd measure out whilst you're a 'beginner' so you get an idea of the amount they need to eat.. remember raw fed dogs don't need to eat large portions of food only 2-3% of their body weight (for adults) 1oz of meat is next to nothing 3oz is the equivalent of a pack of cards. I have a chopper i dunno the name for it but big cleaver type thing that i use to divide all daisys meals.. bone or not bone
5) I have a concern with fish. I've read that, even to dogs, raw fish can be dangerous. Is this true? Or can I just lightly cook fillets to rule out any possiblity of danger? And what about bones? If we catch some fish at the lake, and lightly cook it, will any tiny bones we miss hurt them?
I think they can have all fish (Tracy can you confirm this) Just be careful with the bones.. if its a v small bone that they are unlikly to chew then i would rip it out to be on the safe side.. bigger ones then i'd be comfortable with.

Some you can cook because they don't lose their nutrients but off the top of my head i can't remember which fish

Hope this helps

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hope u get ur answers! bumping this hehehe :D goodluck!!! hoping u dont have a "dexter case" LOL. he starved himself for 3 days..he wouldnt touch raw for his life
I'm not too worried. We give them raw scraps once and a while and they just can't get enough. If we do have problems I'll just start cooking it though. I like how you feed Dex mostly cooked meat. I think that would work good too if this doesn't work out for us.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts

Hi Sam! Sarah answered your questions perfectly!! :) But I'll just chime in because I like to talk. ha ha.

1. Yes, any kind of meat will work. Try to get as much variety as you can. Example, don't do just chicken. Whatever meat you are having for supper will work, or you can branch out into rabbit, quail, venison, etc. But the usual diet is some kind of white meat, like chicken or cornish hens, and then beef and pork. The other meats are a bonus.

And remember to look at ethnic markets. They can have some awesome meats for cheap! Testicles, hearts, tongues, kidneys, cheek meat, all kinds of organs, etc. All of these are fabulous to feed. Beef heart is in Brody's menu every week. It's such a great, nutritious meat. And it's inexpensive too. I have a big bag of turkey hearts in my freezer too!

2. Large weight bearing bones of big animals like cows are a no for bone content. They won't be able to eat them and can crack teeth. I use mainly cornish hens for my bone content, but you can do chicken, turkey wings, pork, lamb. At our Walmart, Farmland makes a big box of 'riblets' like you get at Applebees and the meat is not enhanced. (Don't buy meat with added sodium, read labels and keep the sodium below 100mg per serving). The riblets are meaty (some have lots of fat which I trim off) and they have small soft bones in them. I think they are the tips of ribs. Great for bone content. Oh, and stay away from sawed bones. Like the bones in pork chops. (or t-bone steak bones for example). They can be sharp. Some country rib pork pieces are fine if they don't have cut bones.

3. Organs are 10% of the diet. For Brody, who weighs 5 pounds, that's 1-2 ounces a WEEK. So I have worked up to giving him an ounce of liver and an ounce of kidney on Saturdays. He likes them and it's easy for me to remember. If you'd rather incorporate them into meals, you can do that too. Just give a fingernail sized piece. I always do a bony meal before and after to regulate stools since organs (and eggs too) can cause loose stools.

4. You don't have to measure. If you can eyeball it pretty close, that's fine. Just keep an eye on their weights. If you see them starting to get pudgy, then cut back. If they are looking too lean, ribs and hip bones apparent, then beef them up a little.

On this note, some people will do a larger meal one day and then a smaller meal the next. It doesn't have to be exact each time.

5. Raw people are divided on fish when it comes to opinions. Some people feed them, some don't. Some are overly concerned with pollution in the lakes, parasites, and mercury. Some don't care at all. If you catch some fish at the lake, I'd freeze them for a couple weeks or cook them just in case they have parasites. Some people can get salmon heads cheap and incorporate those regularly! I do occasionally give canned fish. I know it's cooked, but oh well. I do tuna, mackerel, and sardines. He likes them and he's not a fan of raw or fresh fish so that works for us.

I also recommend fish oil for the omega 3 content. Just get a bottle of 100% salmon oil and give a squirt a couple times a week. Some people give it every day if coats are scruffy, they have dandruff, etc.

In the big picture of dog feeding ... Raw is better than cooked. Cooked meat is better than canned. Canned is better than kibble. So as long as you are giving a good variety, you will do well. Like I said, I do cornish hen for bone content a couple times a week, organs on Saturday, and meaty meals in between. If stools get loose, I do a bone meal the next time. If his stools are hard, I add more meat next time. You will get to learn your dog and what they require and then it's simple. :)

Good luck Sam!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much Tracy, you've always got so much helpful info :D I got those vitamins today :) Along with a bottle of pure salmon oil, so I was even happier when you mentioned that. I don't know what we've got around here as far as ethnic markets or anything, but I was thinking if I can't find much beyond chicken, beef and pork, I may buy a couple bags of premade (or the Primal grinds with just meat organ and bone) for like rabbit and a couple different meats. Venus loves the Instinct canned rabbit, so I think she may love it raw :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sam, glad I could help! And yes, you are doing exactly what I do with a bag of pre-mades in the freezer. :) The primal grinds sound fantastic. Oh, and if you need to do canned once in awhile because Venus really likes it, that's fine too. I don't stress anymore about everything being balanced perfectly. They all adjust and do fine.

Therese - you just send Tabitha and Jerry over here to Aunt Tracy's house and I will feed them for you. But.... can't promise I'll give them back. ;)

·
Registered
657 Posts
:hello1: Yay for you! I was smiling as i read through this thread!
May i just add, i had Bought some Turkey wings last week and OMG! they have Ten times the meat of chicken wings!
Needless to say One wing was used for 3 or 4 days :D

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tracy (or anyone else who gives salmon oil), how do you give the oil with raw? Do you just put the meat in a bowl and squirt some salmon oil on it?

·
Registered
923 Posts
We found it hard to get the chis to eat it (slips off the meat!) so we either mix it with ground meat (whatever they may be eating) OR just lately we've begun to give cooked sardines mixed with the salmon oil (btw, sardines are higher in Omegas than even salmon! and cheaper!! ;) )... we also use the stinky sardines to add all our other suppliments (all the joint care suplliments for our elderly cat, Llysine for everyone). We do 2 cans of sardines (in water) once a week on the weekends. That feeds 5 cats and the two chis a "meal size" portion.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We found it hard to get the chis to eat it (slips off the meat!) so we either mix it with ground meat (whatever they may be eating) OR just lately we've begun to give cooked sardines mixed with the salmon oil (btw, sardines are higher in Omegas than even salmon! and cheaper!! ;) )... we also use the stinky sardines to add all our other suppliments (all the joint care suplliments for our elderly cat, Llysine for everyone). We do 2 cans of sardines (in water) once a week on the weekends. That feeds 5 cats and the two chis a "meal size" portion.
Oh wow, thanks Kelly. I'm going to have to start writing stuff down :) That shouldn't be a problem, whenever I have a can of sardines they're both right there waiting for a bite :D

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree 100% with the canned sardines. :) They are a super easy and fast meal. High in vitamins and soooooooo good for them. Add a squirt of salmon oil and you have a great easy meal. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I've never eaten sardines or any fish out of a tin actually.. i'm sure my mum does, gonna have a mooch round her cupboards and raid them!!

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
omg I LOVE sardines lol I went to the dollar store and raided their grocery section. Came home with like 10 cans of them lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts