Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The little girl I found in the parking lot is still with me. She is sweet and playful and we are trying to get her to understand that outside is where she goes potty. I have had two calls on her, but they were looking for their black and white spotted chis, not her. One lady offered to take her. My dilemma is that I know she probably has had no shots and she is not spayed. Should a let the lady have her that wanted her as is? Or should I get her all done then hope she is still interested months from now when she is ready to go? And if she isn't at all house broke, would I be sentencing her to a life as an outside dog?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i wouldn't give her to a new home unless you are 100percent sure her owner isnt looking for her , she might be a very loved missed family member .
if it comes down to this other lady taking her i would ask a lot of questions first

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
i wouldn't give her to a new home unless you are 100percent sure her owner isnt looking for her , she might be a very loved missed family member .
if it comes down to this other lady taking her i would ask a lot of questions first
I agree 100% with what you said,somebody may be missing her

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, should have said I already have ads in the newspaper and online. I will not let her go for a few weeks. As each ads ends, I re-list it. I am not trying to take someones loved pet away from them. I am talking IF no ones comes forward.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would never, never, never rehome a dog without spaying or neutering first. There are all kinds of people out there who are always looking for unaltered dogs to breed. They sound good, like the dog will be a member of the family but the poor dog is just going into the life of a backyard breeder at best, a puppy mill at worst.

If the lady is really interested she will wait but even if she fades away someone else will show up that will be thrilled to make her a part of their lives.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would never, never, never rehome a dog without spaying or neutering first. There are all kinds of people out there who are always looking for unaltered dogs to breed. They sound good, like the dog will be a member of the family but the poor dog is just going into the life of a backyard breeder at best, a puppy mill at worst.

If the lady is really interested she will wait but even if she fades away someone else will show up that will be thrilled to make her a part of their lives.
Yeah, thank you. That's been my feeling, too. Thank you for reiterating what I already knew. If I can't find her family, I will get her her shots and spayed.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Definitely don't let her go without spaying and neutering.

The only only only time I have ever heard of this as a bad thing is on "Everybody Loves Raymond (for the record, not real life lol), they found a "stray" english bulldog. They had him fixed and decided to adopt him only to find out he was an AKC Championed Stud dog. Oopsies... o_O

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I must have missed a post. I didn't know you'd found a dog. Do you have pictures up somewhere?

I'm asking for a reason. If you have a chi that you need to re-home, have you asked around on the forum here? You'd be confident the dog was going to a good home, and I'd trust one of us to follow up with shots and spay/neuter so that you didn't have to incur that expense.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I completely agree with omguthie's sentiments. So many people see an unaltered chi or any purebred dog and just think "chaching!" I think it would be best if she were fixed first, which, if you found someone who wanted her, you could even type out a contract that they will pay for you to get her fixed as an "adoption fee" so that way you don't get stuck footing the bill either. And if a potential dog owner can't afford this, then they probably shouldn't be in the position of adopting a new dog whose history is unknown because they need to have money on a credit card or in the bank or somewhere in case of unexpected emergencies. :)
Good luck! It sounds like you have a very kind heart and have been very committed towards doing the right thing and that is so amazing of you. :) This chi is lucky to have found you!
:hello1:

·
Registered
355 Posts
I would insist on reference checks, one vet, groomer if possible, and at least two personal references. The rescue I volunteer for does home visits as well (of course, be careful with these - if you get a bad feeling, walk away). In addition to breeders looking for dogs, it is possible to run afoul of "batchers," who answer free-to-good-home ads and "adopt" dogs to sell to research laboratories, as well as dog fighting rings (for "bait" dogs, to get them fired up and build their "confidence"). They can be very convincing and sometimes bring kids along to make it look credible. Be suspicious of a young lady wearing long sleeves on a warm day (to cover gang tats). The laboratory thing is legal in Wisconsin and is horrifying. You can go on various rescue sites online for a list of questions to ask a prospective adopter. I do a lot of reference checks, and you'd be amazed what people will dish out inadvertently: ("Oh, it was so cute when he'd drive around on the lawnmower with Fifi on his lap..." or "Yes, Bruno was hit by a car, but it was during the Packer game and nobody was paying attention because they were half in the bag...") You're just awesome for helping this girl - good luck!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always ask for an adoption fee and interview the potential adoptor/s. I know all about unscrupulous people, there is a lot of pit bull fighting in my county unfortunately. I am afraid even if I tell them they have to get the dog spayed, they won't. Soooo, I guess after Delilah gets fixed the end of this month, it will be her turn if she is still here. I've been calling her Isis rather than hey you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The only only only time I have ever heard of this as a bad thing is on "Everybody Loves Raymond (for the record, not real life lol), they found a "stray" english bulldog. They had him fixed and decided to adopt him only to find out he was an AKC Championed Stud dog. Oopsies... o_O
Ba ha ha ha ha!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I always ask for an adoption fee and interview the potential adoptor/s. I know all about unscrupulous people, there is a lot of pit bull fighting in my county unfortunately. I am afraid even if I tell them they have to get the dog spayed, they won't. Soooo, I guess after Delilah gets fixed the end of this month, it will be her turn if she is still here. I've been calling her Isis rather than hey you.

Hmmmm, sounds like someone may have herself a new chi ;)
hehe

And as for pit bull fighting, that is a whole other topic but it makes me so furious! I LOVe my pitty with all my heart and can't imagine! that must be so frustrating to know that is going on in your county :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts