Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Chihuahuas are naturally small and littleish lol but I just wonder if Kizzie is too skinny? Obviously Shayley and Kizzie are two different types because Kizzie has been just petite every since we brought her home and Shayley has always been on the chunky side since we've brought her home.

They were recently at the vet and I asked and she thinks she's normal for a Chihuahua but I think just because I'm her mom and I'm not use to having a petite Chihuahua I amjust a little concerned. Kizzie eats perfectly, she loves her treats and even gets people food from time to time (Esp when family is over lol she begs like crazy) So she's not every NOT eating. If that was the case I'd be really worried...even though I still am worried.

Kizzie was 8lbs last time she was at the vets but she just seems so itty for 8lbs to me....i don't know why but again I've had my first CHihuahua (Shayley) since I was 16 and now Kizzie in 2009 so maybe I'm just not use to it? What do you all think? Any input from you Chihuahua long timers would help! Thanks!

Trying to find some older pics of her too of her whole body....lol not easy when all the ones I have loaded already mostly have clothing on! LOL dang it!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I think she looks a good healthy weight.
Cant see ribs.
She is just the slender type with longer legs like my Darla.
I worried about Darla too, cause Daisy has the shorter legs and seems more cobby.
Then of course i worried about Daisy being overweight in comparison. lol
Anyway, she is a real black beauty, and so shiney!!
xx

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
She looks perfect to me! You don't have nothing to worry about unless she stops eating for a few days. My chi's body physique looks just like Kizzies & she's close to 7 lbs. With these little guys being so small, it's better they keep a slender shape than be slightly heavy because of their little skinny legs & the chance of LP.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think she looks a good healthy weight.
Cant see ribs.
She is just the slender type with longer legs like my Darla.
I worried about Darla too, cause Daisy has the shorter legs and seems more cobby.
Then of course i worried about Daisy being overweight in comparison. lol
Anyway, she is a real black beauty, and so shiney!!
xx
Thank you Terri! lol I know I do worry a lot when it comes to their health ( I know we all do that!)

That's exactly how it is with Shayley & Kizzie...Shayley has the short legs and Kizzie has the longer legs. I think I just compare Kizz to Shay and of course I know I shouldn't because Shayley has always been chunky but never over weight... She was the chunkiest out of her siblings (The reason I chose her too hehe) I never had to worry about Shayleys weight either way (rather too skinnyor too chunky)

Thank you though, very much about the rock photo! I have it framed in a 5x7 but I want to get a nice big one after we move into our new house down the road lol. :hello1:

She looks perfect to me! You don't have nothing to worry about unless she stops eating for a few days. My chi's body physique looks just like Kizzies & she's close to 7 lbs. With these little guys being so small, it's better they keep a slender shape than be slightly heavy because of their little skinny legs & the chance of LP.
Thank you woodard! The vet said the same thing.....about the slenderness rather than being over weight because of LP.......

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Everyone will have their own opinion, I'm sure. Some might say she is perfect, some might say she needs to loose a few ounces. She has about the same "tuck" in her waste as Chance, and some said he was "pudgy." :lol: He is “fuller” than my girls, so I assume/assumed he needs to lose weight. He isn't "leggy" or "lengthy" though. My Vet doesn't seem bothered by it at all. He said that I can take 1/2 lb. off of him if it will make me feel better. Anyway, my opinion is that she doesn't look overweight, or underweight. And she is quite the beauty! :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Roxy looks super thin like that from the top too. In fact, I have a pic of her that looks just like yours.. Kizzie is obviously thinner but yeah I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
She looks gorgeous to me! Beautiful shiny coat, happy and healthy!:)
I have a deer type too and when they are very 'typey' they almost look like mini whippets! Heidi has has no extra weight on her and her chest looks like it almost tucks up to her spine! She is full of energy and happy though, just thinner.;)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roxy looks super thin like that from the top too. In fact, I have a pic of her that looks just like yours.. Kizzie is obviously thinner but yeah I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Thanks YoQuiero! I think I just need to stop comparing her to little ol Shayley lol

She looks gorgeous to me! Beautiful shiny coat, happy and healthy!:)
I have a deer type too and when they are very 'typey' they almost look like mini whippets! Heidi has has no extra weight on her and her chest looks like it almost tucks up to her spine! She is full of energy and happy though, just thinner.;)
Aw Thank you Catz! She is definitely full of energy....I swear she is part cat the way she jumps from the couch and everywhere else. She's a crazy dog with all that energy but it's great and I love it!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
She looks in great condition, her weight from the photo's looks great adn she has a beautiful shiny coat.

A rule of thumb is you should not be able to see the ribs (when standign square) btu you should be able to feel them a little.

She comes in at the waist in a nice shape behind her ribs which is how she should be.

Deme x

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She looks in great condition, her weight from the photo's looks great adn she has a beautiful shiny coat.

A rule of thumb is you should not be able to see the ribs (when standign square) btu you should be able to feel them a little.

She comes in at the waist in a nice shape behind her ribs which is how she should be.

Deme x
Thanks Dawn for your help!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
She defo doesnt look 8lbs, but then that isnt a big dog anyway hon.
No need to worry about your girlies, they are gorgeous and you should be a proud mammy. hehe!!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I think she is just perfect and a real beauty too!:)

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I agree she looks slender but very healthy.
If her ribs or vertebrae bumps show
or could be felt,thats different.
She has a very nice shiny coat!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She defo doesnt look 8lbs, but then that isnt a big dog anyway hon.
No need to worry about your girlies, they are gorgeous and you should be a proud mammy. hehe!!
lol Terri! Thank you! My cousins Chihuahua is 10 lbs and I know thats just a bit different from Kizzie and he is SO heavy! lol So her little 8lbs self doesn't even feel like it to me. The proud Chi mamas/papas here who have 4lbs babies must really be light goodness!! lol I'm a very proud mama that's for sure! :love2:

I think she is just perfect and a real beauty too!:)
Thank you foggy! The mama in me needs to stop freaking LOL

I agree she looks slender but very healthy.
If her ribs or vertebrae bumps show
or could be felt,thats different.
She has a very nice shiny coat!!
Yes, if her ribs were sticking out I would know something was up...Thankfully that's not that case! Thank you! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts