Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering changing to RAW for years now, Mostly due to my Great Dane board and the information I have been gathering through the years. I have never actually acted on it due to the difficulty of finding the parts I would need in our rural area. I have found a place about 1 hr away that has premade RAW patties. I want to give this a try for the Chi's but I am a little weary, mostly due to their size and also some concerns I have with Yoshi and how poorly bred he is. I worry that this could cause him problems if he has any immune system issues? He has never been a sickly dog but this still worries me in the back of my mind :-( From what I have read and from the people I talk to, they say that if a dog has a poor immune system that this isnt the best diet for them as it can cause them to get sick?

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Also I have a Sheltie that has immune system issues that is taking Nzymes black tincture and oxy drops due to his Papilloma warts.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
We use the RAW premade as a PM meal 5 days a week. The other 2 days we use RMB's. They are super easy and my girls love them!

I don't know much about the immune system. I live in the camp of try it, if it doesn't work change back.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay refresh my memory on what RMB's abbreviation is for?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Yoshismom - I think you should give it a go! I'm so excited for you!

I've heard that dogs with poor immune systems actually do great on raw. It helps their immune system as their body deals with a species appropriate diet that is easy to digest and heavy in water. Much less stress on the body. A typical raw diet only runs about 22% protein. Up to 25% protein if you feed mostly red meats. That's perfect for a dog's kidneys, liver, etc. You'll notice right away that they drink less water and poop wayyyyyyyyyyyy less as their bodies acclimate to a diet that is species appropriate for them.

Which pre-made are you going with? The brands I am familiar with are Bravo, Primal, Nature's Variety, and Stella and Chewy's. I personally like S&C the best because they individually test EVERY batch (and post it on their website) with an independent lab for pathogens. They've never had a recall. I feel like they are the safest of the pre-made raws. They do a frozen as well as freeze dried. You can order the freeze dried online if you want if it's not available to you.

Most pre-mades do have fruit and veggies in their mix as well as the meat, bones, and organs. I haven't found this to be a problem at all. You could easily do a pre-made in the morning and then your own grocery store raw in the afternoon if you'd like.

I'm excited for you! There are soooooooooooo many success stories out there. (And I know - just as many people saying it didn't work for them.) But if you are committed to it, I think it's by far the most excellent diet available for our dogs.

I did a pre-made (Natures Variety) for months before I eased into do it yourself prey model. Even a little raw is better than none. I think you will notice increased vigor, stamina, and overall health in all your dogs, but especially the ones who need it most!

I know you have done plenty of reading, but here's a site with lots of FAQ that most people find really helpful and reassuring....

The Many Myths of Raw Feeding

There are a lot of people here who would be glad to help you. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey my chihuahua has a VERY extremely messed up immune system, if it can be caught, she usually catches it, she is on about 6 different medications each day, since switching to raw, she's been healthier, has not had 1 throat infection (usually that's a monthly ocurrance), is off of 2 of her longterm pills, and hasn't been so happy/energetic since she was a pup.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This really doesnt have a brand name I dont guess? There is a lady in Candler, NC that makes it herself and she also has seminars for first time RAW feeders. It is called Green Earth RAW. They come in 2 oz frozen patties in a 3lb bag. I am starting with the chicken but they also have beef. The site is ORGANIC RAW PET FOOD MADE WITH 100% ALL NATURAL, HUMAN-GRADE INGREDIENTS | Green Earth Pet Food I am going to start off feeding them this in the mornings and also giving them their kibble (continued free feeding) in the evenings for now, and then may go to a strictly RAW diet later on after deciding how they do on it.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
OK from what i've read i think i'd want to order the stuff in small print (meat grinds)

I dont understand why they have yoghurt or egg in but i dont see that as an issue as i give mine yoghurt occassionally if they've had a funky tummy.

The beef has no bone in but they've put eggshell in it which will act as the calcium and help firm stools.

This is what i use as my premade - obviously its english but i think its a good comparison
Natural Instinct - High Quality Natural Dog Food

I bought the chicken adult and puppy (why they do different i dunno i did see a difference but cant tell u off the top of my head.. the adult is also more coarsley ground) and the pure tripe.

The thing i find with it having veg in is they poo more often and slightly bigger than on prey model.. but its fine i still see all the benefits the same... although i do one premade a day now as im crushing daisy's glucosamine into it.

Anyway i'm rambling.. lol With free feeding kibble, do you mind me asking why?? I dont think you will see the benefits if you continue to feed the kibble at the same time. Firstly they digest at different rates and their poos could become irratic and very loose. Also as you want to do it for immune deficiencies doesn't it kinda counter act what you're doing.. i dunno i dont mean to be rude im just throwing it out there! Feeding raw is such a tiny tiny amount (both mine get .5 ounce am and midday and 1 ounce pm) When Lotus is older they''ll have 1 ounce am and 1 ounce pm (Daisy had this but got put onto 3 meals coz she got very sick the other week and its just easier for me to feed them both 3 times a day for a couple of months)

Regardless of what you choose to do i would definately give them some RMBs a few times a week for the stimulation and teeth cleaning benefits. You may find once they become accustomed to raw they'll ignore kibble i think LDMomma did that and her dogs basically ignored the kibble lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mom fed me raw for a while. She bought a meat grinder and ground up whole chickens. It was good, but I was not enthused. Not really. Mom now gives me Dr. Harvey's. I love it, and it's easy for Mom to make!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
This really doesnt have a brand name I dont guess? There is a lady in Candler, NC that makes it herself and she also has seminars for first time RAW feeders. It is called Green Earth RAW. They come in 2 oz frozen patties in a 3lb bag. I am starting with the chicken but they also have beef. The site is ORGANIC RAW PET FOOD MADE WITH 100% ALL NATURAL, HUMAN-GRADE INGREDIENTS | Green Earth Pet Food I am going to start off feeding them this in the mornings and also giving them their kibble (continued free feeding) in the evenings for now, and then may go to a strictly RAW diet later on after deciding how they do on it.
I'm glad that Heather talked about Zoey's immune system challenges. She's done so well on raw and she is VERY immunocompromised with both acute and chronic illnesses.

That is a neat website. I would prefer she use salmon oil rather than flaxseed oil, but that's a minor point. Some dogs don't tolerate flax very well, but most are fine with it. The only problem I see with pre-mades like she is making is if your dog has a problem with it, who knows what ingredient is to blame. Is it the fruits? The veggies? The yogurt or eggs? That's one reason I prefer a prey model diet, you can start out slow on one protein only at a time. But having said that, it's a good way to ease into raw as it's already done for you. :)

I see she has chicken by the case. You may want to order from her later on if she has good prices. You can also check out co-ops in your area that will buy meat in bulk and pass on the savings. Most raw feeders never pay more than .99 cents a pound.

I'm excited for you to try it out! Let us know what you think more importantly, what your pups think! :hello1:

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always free fed. Yoshi is such a picky eater that and will not always eat when I used to put it down for him. Chibi has had Hypoglycemia issues so I try to always make sure he has food down for him and I cant just leave RAW out all day. I also find that when you feed at certain times a day that (some) dogs tend to eat faster and worry that they have to compete with each other. These are just some past experience that I have had with multiple dogs. I think that in some cases it is comforting for them to know it is there if they want it. Mine do not eat much at all and are pretty much on their on timing with free feeding. No erratic poo's either. I am easing into this and it may change if RAW will stop these problems.

I am still not sure where I could find the chicken around here? We do have a chicken processing plant but from my understanding those are not good to use as they are not the organic free range. I also am not sure where I would get the RMB's as the one's at the grocery store are huge for big dogs. I am a little uncomfortable with making my own up but that may come in time? DH is against it as of right now he says it will cost to much and be to hard to do but I am hoping I will be able to find things easier and cheaper in the future and convince him otherwise. I was able to talk him into the premade but if they eat more when giving them RAW then it will come out as being more expensive than their kibble.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am still not sure where I could find the chicken around here? We do have a chicken processing plant but from my understanding those are not good to use as they are not the organic free range. I also am not sure where I would get the RMB's as the one's at the grocery store are huge for big dogs. I am a little uncomfortable with making my own up but that may come in time? DH is against it as of right now he says it will cost to much and be to hard to do but I am hoping I will be able to find things easier and cheaper in the future and convince him otherwise. I was able to talk him into the premade but if they eat more when giving them RAW then it will come out as being more expensive than their kibble.
I wish I could say that I only fed free range organic meats, but that's not the case at all. I get Brody's meat at Walmart. The only exception is when I make an order from a bison farm, or when I get an order from hare-today.com. Otherwise, he just eats the grocery store meats. Because of this, he gets a squirt of salmon oil several times a week as feedlot meats are deficient in omega 3's. Organic meats are best, of course, but not necessary.

Raw meaty bones for teeth health can just be a rack of pork or beef ribs from the grocery. You can do the marrow bones if you want for the Chi's if they aren't vigorous chewers, but don't do them for the bigger dogs as they can break teeth.

Are you looking at doing the pre-made with all of your dogs? Or just the chi's? Pre-mades can be pricey which usually isn't an issue with chi's. But a great dane would be horribly expensive in no time on pre-made!

Feeding small dogs is very inexpensive. Brody eats 2-3 ounces a day. Often, we don't even notice his food costs at all. If we are going to grill some steaks, I cut off a chunk for him - and there's his dinner. Same with pork or chicken. I use cornish hens for his bone content. (10% of the diet).

If you end up wanting to go raw with your whole crew, then I would look into a co-op in your area. Much cheaper that way and you can get a good variety of meats at decent prices.

DogAware.com: Raw Dog Food Co-ops and Local Groups

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the link. I am starting with the Chi's I guess more of a learning process. I would love to have them all on it eventually. I tried it this morning and the lady told me to warm them to room temperature in a bowl of hot water, I put the patties in a zip lock bag and just put it in the water. It was slimey and wet so not sure if I am doing it right. It took Yoshi a bit before he decided he liked it. He came to a small bone fragment and spit that out but Chibi came along and ate it. I worried as while they were eating, Chibi licked Yoshi's eyes (salmonella?). They ate 2 of the patties this morning between the two of them. They usually do not eat this much so I am hoping it is only because it is new? They would have probably eaten another one if I would have given it to them. Wish us luck. The only thing I worry about is the egg that is in it. Yoshi seems to not tolerated egg in the past but not sure if it was the egg itself or just a bad day? This was years ago.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sounds like you are off to a good start! Be careful not to overfeed, even if they really like it. That can cause sloppy stools.

I wouldn't worry about them licking each other. Shoot... dogs lick their butts, eat poop, etc. and they are fine. You have nothing to fear from a little raw meat patty.

Keep us posted! I'm excited for you. :)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Sounds like they loved it!!! Mine lick each others faces share food lotus eats poo :roll: they're fine u can always wipe their faces if u are that worried!!

The bone should counteract the egg :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Let us know how their stools were.

Don't be surprised if they start turning up their noses at kibble. It's like us.... you can have a nice, juicy fresh steak or you can have a bowl of cereal. Which one do you want? HA.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Let us know how their stools were.

Don't be surprised if they start turning up their noses at kibble. It's like us.... you can have a nice, juicy fresh steak or you can have a bowl of cereal. Which one do you want? HA.

BAHAHA!.. Sorry..Was super excited for Yoshimoms success and Tracy made me laugh with her great comment.. ya, hello! steak pls:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts