Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But it didn't work. They sniffed walked away. Came back had a lick. Dollie took hers out of her bowl but I put it back then they both walked off. It's been 15 mins so I have taken it up. Should I try one more time later tonight.
They had a 3rd of a chicken wing each.
Sorry to be a pain

·
Registered
96 Posts
That is not abnormal, raw food doesn't smell like food to them (yet) Most dog foods have enhanced flavors added to it to attract the dog.

You can try sprinkling a bit of grated parmesan cheese on it and try again. I know others who lightly sear it in a pan with a bit of garlic. Most dogs will try it.

Once they recognize it as food, it should be fine.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with the above. If you take a sniff of raw chicken, it has no odor at all. Take a sniff of kibble. Ewwww stinky. So many dogs don't see it as food right away. You can sear it in a hot pan, add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese or garlic. Serve at room temp. Try, Try again. It's worth it. :)

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok well I tried again
Dollie ate raw but ninja was not interested.
Dollie once she got abit of bone really enjoyed ripping bits off.
But ninja has not eaten tonight. But I will try adding Parmesan tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks guys

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hercules, who was fed kibble all his life, had trouble getting used to raw. He really had to be encouraged. They get the hang of it eventually. Herc loves real meat now!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Mine are being like this at the moment. The only raw thing they seem to recognize as food is chicken wings. Chicken off the bone or any other meat is sniffed, licked and left in the bowl (or sometimes hidden in their bed - nice) but not eaten.

Did the parmesan work for you Sam? I think I will try that tonight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts