Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may laugh and roll their eyes (like the guys at work), but I have separation anxiety from my little Miya. I feel guilty when I leave her for more than an hour or two at a time. At work, she's all I'm thinking about. If I'm out with friends, I'm thinking about her. Tomorrow, I'm going for an 8 mile run in the morning and I'm feeling bad to leave her. Then, later in the day, I was invited to a BBQ. I asked my friend if I could bring her bc I didn't want to leave her alone all day. I'm very over protective too. I'm going to Florida for the summer to stay at my moms for 2 months. She has 2 big dogs and her house isn't as clean as I would keep mine, meaning things for Miya to eat. I'm already stressed out thinking about it! I will vaccuum and yada yada and the dogs are sweet, but just the thought of Miya being at my mom's while i go to the beach for a day or something, it's nerve wrecking! I know I am probably being ridiculous, but I just hate to not have her with me. I feel like I am being unfair to her by leaving her in a bedroom when I'm not home. I take her outside every chance I get that it's warm bc I feel guilty that she's been inside. We go to the pet store all the time! She's a very happy doggy and loves me as much as I love her. I know the simple answer is that it's unrealistic to take her with me 100% of the time, but I am stressing over small things. I wish I could not be so protective, but she's so small and I feel like I need to protect her. You know how a new mother is with her baby (afraid to leave her with anyone else)...that's how I feel..She is 6 months old and this is my first dog and she is absolutely 100% my best friend. Does anyone else experience this? How do you deal?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Try Jan's idea with the doggie cam while your at work. That's pretty neat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am exactly the same way with my two. I changed my life and my profession to be able to take them with me and spend more time with them. I tell people they have separation anxiety, but really it's me!!! Lol!!!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Haha, I am sooooo the wrong person to answer you! :lol: :rolleyes:
My hubby changed careers to be able to work extremely close to
home, so he could come home every lunch hour and walk our dogs,
to be able to come home ultra fast after finishing work to walk them
again and have our adventures. I work from home and get to enjoy
them all day long. Also literally every activity hubby & I do, except
grocery shopping lol, is with our dogs. They go EVERYWHERE, we
spend many many hours outside with them, on weekends we usually
go on trips with them, mornings start at 4 am with them, end at 10pm
with them. We are freaking crazy dog people, we both love nature and
dogs, so that is how we roll, lol. Do you think I trust anyone with my
African wild hunting dogs??? Yeah right! Or with my little Princess???
No way! And I have my reasons. Sure my dogs are well socialized and
love people, but people are not dependable or responsible at the worst
of times. The so called "super awesome" famous doggie day care right
next door to us was always known to be fancy shmancy with 24/7
surveillance, yet not long ago we heard on the news that a dog was
literally mauled by a bunch of other dogs, while in their care. And not
only did this madness occur, the owner of the place lied to the dog's
owner and said they lost the pooch! Even helped her post fliers for
missing dog. Here is the link, because believe me I know it sounds
too messed up to believe!

Dog mauled at Montreal dog daycare - Montreal - CBC News

Now should we all be afraid to leave our dogs alone or in other people's
care??? No absolutely not. These things happen yes, but they should
not hold everyone back. However for our little family it works out best
to take care of our own dogs, we do it because we love spending time
together, we find ways to involve them as much as possible, so when
they finally are at home alone, all they want to do is peacefully sleep
from a day of excitement. Told you, I'm not the right person to answer.
We do things differently, it's a way of life, it's not for everyone, but it
works super well for us.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I go home this summer, I'm visiting family and friends I haven't seen in a while. I know there will be a few nights that I go out for drinks, and she wouldn't be able to come. And there will be several days that I go to the beach for a few hours. It's too hot for her to go there with me, so I will have to leave her at my mom's. ugh, I hate that idea but what choice do I have? Idk if you all saw an earlier post but I am actually quitting my job. I go to school full time so it's a good thing, but between you and me, most of it is so I can be with my Miya hehehehehe. When I get out of grad school and have to work full time...I'll worry about that when I get there :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts