Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's been abused and neglected which is how I ended up with a 4 month old male puppy that is as cute as he can be even if he isn't anywhere near chi standards. Marcus loves him (well most of the time, there are occasional flashes of jealousy) and they play well together. My problem is that he is very timid, you can't move quickly around him or raise your hand to pick something up or he panics. If you call him he's convinced he's done something wrong and runs the other way. Since he isn't housebroken this is making life difficult. He does desperately want attention so he will cuddle. I know it's only been 2 days and I know we'll get there but I'm feeling a bit frazzled and I know he is too.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
aww don't worry in time he will come around.. he probably has just been so abused he doesn't know what a normal life is like.. treat him super nice.. and try to avoid raising your voice or using negative reinforcement training, try positive reinforcement training, the dog never has to learn the word no, or be swat at when he does something bad,,

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I know from experience what you are going through - I adopted a chi rescue several years ago. She was approximately 3 yrs old when I got her, and was terrified of everything and everybody. It took time, but she did come around and blossomed into a loving and loveable companion. Believe me, it is worth every bit of frustration and worry.

Tia had a heart murmur and developed congestive heart failure along with some other health problems, and I finally had to have her put down last November after having her for over 7 years. She brought so much joy and happiness to me, and it made me feel so good that I could give her a loving, forever home.

Don't give up, be patient, and I think you will be rewarded in the end. Rescues just seem to be so grateful and loving - probably because they've experienced so much hurt in the past. Good luck - keep us posted please.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
This may sound silly but I saw it on an episode of the Dog Whisperer and, for some reason, it stuck in my mind.

They had a dog that would bark and generally misbehave when people came to the door or car keys were picked up and jingled. It was more of a nervous thing than it was aggression. Anyway, he suggested getting the dog to sit or lay down, begin massaging him so he was extra relaxed, then jingle the keys while still massaging him.

The gist of the whole exercise was to teach his mind to stay calm, even in times of nervousness.

I know what you're going through though; it took me over a year to get my cat to trust anything. I ended up taking her to a behavioralist because she had been so abused, her fear was overwhelming her.

On the other hand, Cooper has never been abused (unless you can actually abuse someone with TOO much love) and he does cower sometimes when I raise my hand up for whatever reason. I don't know why he does it - maybe because he's always guilty of something. :)

Good luck with your little one. I hope he learns quickly that there's nothing to be afraid of now and he should take full advantage of the great new life he has begun! :D

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I know exactly how you feel but with time and patience this little boy will come around. He wants to be loved but he's too scared to trust you yet. I think having another dog will actually make it easier on Dakota because he'll see how you and Marcus are together.

I know you love the little guy already. If you're anything like me you'll spend the rest of his life trying to compensate for his crappy start in life. And he will reward you with more love than you can imagine. Bless you for adopting him. :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
That's great that you took him in! Don't worry, it's only been 2 days. He probably is just scared of people since abuse and neglect is all he's known. That's a good sign that he's snuggling with you though. I'm sure he will come around. He sounds like a little angel though! :angel10:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Lily was exactly the ame when we got her at 4 months she still does iot now if me and adam have cross words you will find her cowering under the table or something and I feel so guilty I have NEVER scolded her she is just so timid - it took us weeks too be able to pick her up and she still cowers now when we do it always best too sit down and let him come to you and then pick him up - hes got to learn to trust you :wave: good luck :D

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I'm sure we'll get there. Marcus thinks he owns the world as did the chi I had before but they had never been abused a day in their lives. I know for a fact the only attention this guys had is whippings. I'm trying to remember to move slowly and not talk with my hands (that's the hardest part).

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Tinker said:
Thanks everyone, I'm sure we'll get there. Marcus thinks he owns the world as did the chi I had before but they had never been abused a day in their lives. I know for a fact the only attention this guys had is whippings. I'm trying to remember to move slowly and not talk with my hands (that's the hardest part).
Lily used to be afraid when she saw both hands. Try letting him see you put one hand behind your back as you reach for him. It made a big difference with Lily.

I hope that whoever beat him dies a slow and agonizing death. :angry5:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts