Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hoped I would never have to do this !!!!!now with picture

One of my girls had a c-section on saturday and delivered a single puppy.....she has rejected this puppy in a major way and we are having to hand rear it......so please send lots of good vibes please as this little girl [ and us ] will need them all if she is to survive and thrive......I have never had to do this before and hoped I would never have to but we will do our best night and day for this little girl....I will put a picture on the picture section.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Poor thing, good job you're there to look after her.

Looking forward to seeing pics.

My Daisy's breeder bred another chi same time as she bred Chi Chi (Daisy's mum). Chi Chi sadly lost 5 of the pups (only D and her brother survived). Apparently she was distressed and knew some pups were missing.

The other chi rejected her pups (I think there were about 3). So Louise (the breeder) gave the pups to Chi Chi to see if she'd look after them, and she luckily did.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Sending prayers for this little one and for your family as you care for her. It is a very time consuming process, but certainly can be done. Many years ago, my mom and I raised a litter of 4 toy poodle pups whose mom was unable to feed them. Lots of hours, 24/7, lots of b*itches milk, and warm cloths to stimulate them to go potty... but thank goodness, all four survived and flourished. We were fortunate that mom was there to be with them, but just could not nurse them due to what was called "milk fever" way back in the olden days. Two of these pups lived to the ripe old age of 17 years old, one to 15years old, and the last one to 14 years old. Guess we did something right. lol

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
That is so sad. Be strong, she needs you! I'm sure you will take great care of her :)

Does anyone have any idea why some mom's resist their babies?

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Sending good vibes your way. You can do it. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Could be the pain of the c setion made her reject the babies. You should carefully try to re introduce the puppies every few days to see if she will accept them later. Is this her first litter? Can she be restrained and let them nurse for the colestrium? Sometimes the mothering instinct is delayed and the act of the puppies nursing seems to kick it back in. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be the pain of the c setion made her reject the babies. You should carefully try to re introduce the puppies every few days to see if she will accept them later. Is this her first litter? Can she be restrained and let them nurse for the colestrium? Sometimes the mothering instinct is delayed and the act of the puppies nursing seems to kick it back in. Just a thought.
we restrained her for the first 24 hours to let puppy suckle but she is very determined to 'get' the baby when it is near her snarling and snapping so aggressive and totally unlike her normal self we feel it is far too unsafe to keep this up because if she gets out of our grip in the middle of the night when we are at our most tired we would never forgive ourselves if she actually makes contact and bites the puppy.....well hopefully she got the first 24 hours of colostrum and we will continue to feed her from the bottle around the clock from now on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts