Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found myself a little chihuahua companion today at the local shelter :) He is a light tan color and he has green/hazel eyes. He is only 6 pounds and he is 2 years old. I decided to name him bemo, he is super loving and friendly but has a bit of food aggression. He was just 4 days away from his euthanization date!! I don't understand how he wasn't adopted sooner! I'm looking forward to spoiling him like crazy :) any advice from other chihuahua rescuers? how can I help him adjust as easily as possible?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
ahhh brilliant at least you went to a shelter to rehome a dog. i cant belive they even thought about giving him a euthanization date. In the uk everyone would love to own a chi but they cost to much money, so when ever one does go in kennels they are snapped up within hours. I cheacked everywhere to try and resue a chi but couldnt find any.
Your new little man will settle in in hois own time as for his food aggresion try to stop that asap good luck cant wait to see a pic

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Congratulations !
And thank you so much for going the rescue route !

Looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing how wonderful he is.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congrats on your rescue. If you have documentation that he's a rescue, certain chain stores will give you discounts on specific items. If I remember correctly, petsmart offers a book of coupons for supplies and food.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Hi and welcome!
So glad you could give the wee soul a home!
As for the food agression, i started putting my hand in the pups bowls from day one so they got used to me touching their food.
I dont have to do that anymore though.
I always get them to sit for any food, even their dinner before they get it.
If they have a squablle over treats or bones i just take them off them too.
Basically make him work for anything he gets so he knows the score.
Am sure others will have ideas too.

Look forward to pics of the wee fella. x

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Congrats!!! Try hand feeding this little guy. Always give him a little bit at a time, in an open palm. Do NOT try to touch him. After a few weeks of this try putting some in a dish while he is still taking kibbles out of your hand. I feel it is best not to force a dog to submit, while he is eating. Leave him alone. Little by little, with time, he should eventually quite being so aggressive. Any punishment will make him worse. It may take weeks, so don't get discouraged. Good luck Sue

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bemo's mom! I'm a new Chi mommy too. He's 2 years old too and very stressed out by the change in his atmosphere and not seeing his former owners. It took him a while to warm up to us though, but now he is just the sweetest thing.

How did he take you changing his name though? Does he look at you when you call him by his new name? We wanted to change my puppy's name too but thought he might get confused or something being 2 years old already and all that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you everyone!! Well he was a stray and only weighed 3lbs when he was found, so I'm guessing the food aggression stems from that. But I'm slowly working on it with him I think he just needs to feel more comfortable first. Other than that he seems to be adjusting well, he runs around my house and snuggles with me all day :) he also seems to know that he has to go outside to potty, which is a huge relief for me. I taught him how to sit today and he loves playing with his new toys. As for changing his name, I don't think he really knows it yet but I'm just trying to teach him the same way I would teach a puppy. I think he knows that he is home :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you everyone!! Well he was a stray and only weighed 3lbs when he was found, so I'm guessing the food aggression stems from that. But I'm slowly working on it with him I think he just needs to feel more comfortable first. Other than that he seems to be adjusting well, he runs around my house and snuggles with me all day :) he also seems to know that he has to go outside to potty, which is a huge relief for me. I taught him how to sit today and he loves playing with his new toys. As for changing his name, I don't think he really knows it yet but I'm just trying to teach him the same way I would teach a puppy. I think he knows that he is home :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi and welcome to you and little bemo it sounds like your doing the main thing right and thats giveing him alot of love and comfort i wish you many happy years with your new little one

1 - 11 of 11 Posts