Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I said no more pets...[pics added pg 2]

But this guy sort of found us more than us finding him.

I have re-homed 3 animals in the last year. Custard- a white stray cat that found us when we moved into this place. He is now living in Ark. with my aunts friend who has cancer (my aunt gets him when she passes obviously). Roxie- the pit/boxer mix that Dave ended up housing when his neighbor (whom he was dating while we were broken up) wouldn't take her. She lives with an amazing family on a farm not too far from here. And of course, my little Lina Beana. Who now is just as spoiled as she could possibly be living with Bella and Lina's Mom. I said after I homed Lina with them that I wouldn't have another animal in this house until we owned one for ourselves. I would never put another animal up for adoption, I could not handle the pain. It just breaks my heart to see them go. Even though I know it is best for the animals I've re-homed, it's not easy for me.

So when Dave got a call this afternoon from his friend saying that he had a cat he needed to place, I was not very willing. I didn't want to take him and let myself (not to mention my kids) get attached to another animal and have to re-home it. I couldn't do that again. Gaige still misses Custard and Lina so much. He talks about them both constantly. But then Dave told me the cats story.

He was James' sons cat, adopted (as all his cats are) when James and his wife we were still married. About a month ago (maybe more, no one knows for sure), his ex-wife moved out of the house, leaving the cat behind. She had kicked out the basement window so the cat could go in and out freely. But with no food/water. Luckily a neighbor noticed him and had been feeding him so there is no real damage done there. When James discovered this he was absolutely livid. He takes unbelievably good care of his animals (all spayed/neutered, all so cute..and spoiled friggin' rotten) and immediatly took him home with him to examine him and get him vet care should he need it (all he needs are his shots, he's already neutered). The problem was, that he already has 4 or 5 cats in his house and he just couldn't take on one more no matter how much he wanted to, I think we all know that feeling. So he began calling around to friends/family and asking them if they could take him. They were all at their limit with pets too and couldn't. He even called PAWS (a local animal shelter) who told him that because he was an outdoor cat for a month or more that they would just put him down because they had too many cats already. James obviously wasn't having that, that's when he called Dave.

I couldn't deny this cat a good home. I just couldn't. No matter how many reservations I had about it, I couldn't do it. So we are now the proud kitty parents of a 5yr old, male, black cat named Thor (I hate that name lol). We picked him up this afternoon (after stopping at wal-mart to pick up everything we'd need for him) and he has been hiding under our bed ever since. Well, except for at some point when we were out to dinner that he ate the food I put in his bowl and wet potty in the litter box (yay!).

I'll post pics tomorrow when (hopefully) he finds it convenient to grace us with an appearance :).

·
Banned
728 Posts
If I am not incorrect aent you still having some problems with Boss and Gaige? I would concentrate on my sons welfare and Boss who seems to have a feww probs with you as well.It must of killed you to give up Lina but thanfully she has a great home. If I were you I would put the cat in a no kill shelter or give it back to its rightful owner. Sorry,if I sound to hard.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I am not incorrect aent you still having some problems with Boss and Gaige? I would concentrate on my sons welfare and Boss who seems to have a feww probs with you as well.It must of killed you to give up Lina but thanfully she has a great home. If I were you I would put the cat in a no kill shelter or give it back to its rightful owner. Sorry,if I sound to hard.
Actually, Boss is doing very well with his training. He hasn't snapped or bitten anyone since he did it to Owen (my youngest..not Gaige). He's doing better about pottying outside, about minding his manners, and he's doing fabulous on his "tricks". He seems like a completely different dog in Boss's body lol. So I'm not very concerned about that part anymore (but that doesn't mean I've relaxed..he is still watched around the kids and crated when we leave or can't watch them together. I don't want another incident). And Dave and Boss have been getting along well too. Especially after I told him he was stuck with him because I wasn't re-homing him. Period.

Also, there are no "no kill shelters" around here. The ones we have within driving distance are both willing to just take the cat and put it to sleep. I'm not about to let that happen, and neither is James (Daves friend). If it doesn't work out, the cat will most likely go back to James because that's how James wants it. He's willing to handle another cat, but he is really at his limit right now and would rather have the cat be in a house without a bunch of other animals.

Boss and Thor haven't met yet. He won't come out from under the bed when we're awake. But last night he woke up around midnight and started meowing wanting loves. He got up on the bed and got pets from each of us and then got back down. He did that several times through out the night. At one point he actually laid down on my out stretched arm and started purring lol. I woke up enough to stroke him a couple times and then passed out again (no kids=Kristin gets sleep lol). He is now under our bed again. He won't leave the bedroom. But, we put his litter box and food/water in the back bathroom so that he could easily get to them (and so Boss wouldn't bother them), he ate all his food (I'm only giving him a little at a time because I'm afraid he might get stressed out with the changes and over eat) and used the litter box 4 times. Woohoo! We were afraid that he might have a few accidents before he got used to the box because of living outside for so long. But nope :).

·
Registered
621 Posts
aww well thats great, good job Kristin. It sounds like boss is in a good position, and your family to try helping this guy out... and its good to know that if things in the end aren't right, James will take him back. Good luck with things, sounds like the little guy found an awesome home:)

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I'm so glad Boss is doing great. And more glad you put your foot down on Dave that boss wont be re homed. I'm sure that would cos you and the kids so much mine.

Well You have a new member I'm happy for you. Just give it some time. I think he is still scared. I mean his owners left him. Than he been living alone. God know what kind of food he ate before the nighbor started feeding him. Than he moved in with James and now you.

I think it will take some time for him to realize that this is his forever home. and for now he seems to trust you and thats a good thing. I think you can keep doing what your doing now and let him come out from under the bed when his ready. ;)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I am so glad that Boss is doing good on his training. It's good to hear. You are doing a good thing giving the cat a home. I have a cat also and I feed her up on the dryer. She loved eating when I'm doing laundry and we built a stand to put the litter box on so the chis can't bother her while she's in there too. She's been much more comfortable knowing that she can meet them on her own terms.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He came out today, Dave was petting him in the bedroom and he picked him up and brought him out to the living room to me. He staid with me for a few minutes and then was back in the bedroom. He loves Dawn though, Dave says it's because of James' little girl. They look alike so Thor thinks she's her lol. I got a few pics. I'm sorry they're not very good, my cameras screen is broke so I can't see where I'm shooting lol.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Aww he is lovely, well done for taking him in, Like you I couldnt say no!! lol.

Im so glad Boss is doing good with his training and tricks, He is so sweet and its great that you took the time out to train him. Well done you :) xx

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Awwwwwww.........Thor is an a cute cat. It's good of you for taking him in. He needed a loving forever home, and you and Dave are such softies for adopting him.

Well done on your training of Boss! Keep up your good work. I'm glad things are working out with Boss, and that you're keeping him.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awwwwwww.........Thor is an a cute cat. It's good of you for taking him in. He needed a loving forever home, and you and Dave are such softies for adopting him.

Well done on your training of Boss! Keep up your good work. I'm glad things are working out with Boss, and that you're keeping him.
Yeah, we're softies alright. This cat is already king of the bedroom. Owen is a little freaked out by him lol. Boss is scared of him too, he's twice the size of Boss though lol.

I'm very proud of Boss's training right now. He is to the point where he will take commands from not just me, but from Dave and the kids (sometimes) too. Which is awesome!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts