Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
she just won't leave me alone. She has to be right with me all the time and I would love it if I could, but I have other things I have to do too. When I put her down, she whines and cries until I pick her up again which means all my other things don't get done. She either has to play with me or I have to rub her. That's the only way she's happy. She's eight months old. I've had her about three months and she came from a home with three wild kids and other chi's they had raised.

Also, she goes wee wee on her little pad, but for the life of me I can't break her from going potty #2 under my bed. I have to get a long handle and get it out. What am I going to do? She hides when she does it so it's hard to scold her. She's gone on her pee pad a couple of times and I've praised her and gave her a treat, but it does no good. She still hides and manages to do it again, under the bed.

I really need help with this. . . pls someone tell me what to do.

PS I try to keep the bedroom door closed during the day, but a lot of times I forget

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Ugh, Leo has been pooping under our bed lately too. We have a king and like you, I have to get something with a long handle to get to it, he literally does it RIGHT in the middle so I cant reach from either side. I wish there was a way to stop him from getting under the bed altogether.
Sounds like your girl has some separation anxiety. You need to get her adjusted to being separated from you for short periods and build. If you do a search of the forum for separation anxiety youll find a lot of other threads on it. Sometimes another dog helps too, could you consider rescuing another chi so she has a buddy? That may help a lot since you said she lived with other chis previously.
I actually think Leo just pooped under our bed while I typed, I smell a little something... :(

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Well sounds like she is good at training you....don't pick her up when she cries, ignore her until she's quiet then pick her up (if you'd like). As for the pooping, we are having potty boot camp at our house right now, the dogs are in crates, taken out every hour or two and put into a litter box where they are to go potty, then if they go potty then get some free time in an exercise pen (not free running around yet as I can't trust them just yet). It's working very well for Ziva my min pin, Zoey is being more stubborn and will hold it for hours on end. Little dogs can be quite sneaky when it comes to potty habits, you just have to be more sneaky than they are :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much. I'll try that.

I didn't know you kitty litter for dogs.

I have a crate but it's large and I don't know where I'll put it but I'll find a way. Her doing this is really bad

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
For the pooping, I would put a pad under the bed and see if she uses it there. She will get the idea and you can move it out from there and to your designated area.

Lori

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
As for the potty I don't know put the wanting to be right next to you.Don't pick her up when she is crying.And you can put her in the crate for about 5mins to start and when she is quiet you can take her out.But as long as she is crying leave her along.Make sure you have some blankets and a chew toy in the crate with her.And just make the time longer every few times till she sits there and is a good quiet girl.
But if you sit her down and she crys do not pick her back up you could tell her to be quiet or something.Give her a toy to get her mind off of you.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Martha ~*~*SMILES~*~*
Awwww, I think that is just sooo sweet that she wants to be that
close to you all the time. She must really Love her new
mum. :) Bless her lil' furry heart. She sounds like a sweety.
You've brought new meaning to the word Spoiled Rotten. LOL...
Maybe an idea for you... I wonder if they have dog carriers like
they do for babies/etc... that way sometimes you could put her in
it and just go about your things while she is right there with you.
My lil' guy is 7 lbs. I wouldn't be able to carry him around in one
for long... LOL... Well, just an idea for you.
Since she is persay that tied to your hip, I wonder if she gets
seperation anxiety when you leave to go somewhere...

Pottying in the house...
I use to use the Depends for people with mine when he was
a inside potty dog. They are larger, more absorbant I felt.
I would take some poo, and place it (keep it) on her pad where she
urinates. She should soon catch onto it. and yea,,, keep that
bedroom door shut. heeeeee...
Blessings.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I can relate to some extent with the seperation anxiety part.
Dillon needs to be in the same room as me, but i dont need to have him on me all the time.
I bought the DAP diffuser and the seperate spray that you spray on bedding or just into the air.
It doesnt really seem to be doing much yet, but is a work in progress.

During the day i just let him moan at the door if i leave the room to go to the kitchen or whatever, but in the evenings i have no choice but to let him follow me around cause of moany neighbours, so training has been hard with him.

As far as the pooing under your bed, maybe you could get those big long draft excluders, and put one on each side of the bed, a couple each side if need be, so the wee one cant get under easily to do the doo. lol
You know which ones i mean?
Just an option.

Putting the pad under is also a good idea, then moving it bit by bit.
Good luck!. x

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Lotus was pooing under my bed I didn't know til I caught her haha anyway I got all my linen and shoved it under the bed so she can't get in there it's worked all poo has been in the garden since

I agree she has you well trained I think you need to train her quiet and the way to treat her would be to pick her up rather than food!! This seems quite a commen thing with breeders who don't do a lot with the pups my friends dog came from a pathetic excuse of a breeder and he is about the same age of yours and screams all the time!! She told him off yesterday and it sounded like he'd been beaten

Anyway I think ignoring is the key if you can bare it

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Close your bedroom door & be diligent at watching her to know when she has to go out. They usually start showing signs of having to potty 15 minutes after they eat. If you don't let her out, & she acts like she has to go, put her on the pad.
My chi is attached at my hip too. Although she doesn't whine when I get up to do things, she usually right on my heels, so I have to be careful not to step on her which I have several times. I wouldn't pick her up every time she whines. Talk to her gently & tell her NO, mommy has to cook supper, do laundry. Tell her to go lay down. It will take time to show her that it's o.k. & she will probably always follow you around cause that's the chis nature, but maybe you can stop her from whining by reassuring her that you're not going any where.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for the potty I don't know put the wanting to be right next to you.Don't pick her up when she is crying.And you can put her in the crate for about 5mins to start and when she is quiet you can take her out.But as long as she is crying leave her along.Make sure you have some blankets and a chew toy in the crate with her.And just make the time longer every few times till she sits there and is a good quiet girl.
But if you sit her down and she crys do not pick her back up you could tell her to be quiet or something.Give her a toy to get her mind off of you.
Hope this helps
I know you're right about not picking her up, but you haven't seen those big, beautiful, sad eyes. It's so hard. But I'll do it. You should see my living room. I have just let everything go and have been playing with her and holding her. Obviously, I'm a soft tou ch.
Thank you
Martha

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for answering my post.

Are you talking about those things that you can put at the door to the outside?

I've thought about trying to find something to put down so she can't get under there, but I can't think of what I could use. I'll even duct tape something around the bed if I could think of something.:p.

Martha:confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much. I'll try that.

I didn't know you kitty litter for dogs.

I have a crate but it's large and I don't know where I'll put it but I'll find a way. Her doing this is really bad

Thanks again.
Do you just put the kitty litter down like you would for a cat?

She may be already so used to pooping under the bed, that I can't break her.

Where should I put the kitty litter?

Everyone on here knows so much and I know nothing. I feel so uninformed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been a positive dog trainer for many years.I also won a small dog park dog walking business and compete in dog sports with my std. poodle. I recently rescued my second chi.
What most people don't think about is we are training our dogs from the moment we bring them home. I have never trained on pads, and have never had an accident. I simply remember my chi's bladder is the size of a walnut and offer them the outside, on leash to do their business. I give my chi allot of exercise, and remember that their brain is the same as a german shepherd . I decide when they get picked up , and when they need to play by themselves. I make things very black and white, and then I have great little family members who are well adjusted and a joy for myself and others to be around. Chi's are very very smart. It is important to exercise their minds as well as thier bodies ! Oh, and snuggling is FANTASTIC ! :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Do you just put the kitty litter down like you would for a cat?

She may be already so used to pooping under the bed, that I can't break her.

Where should I put the kitty litter?

Everyone on here knows so much and I know nothing. I feel so uninformed.
I started using kitty litter, but it scattered too much (well Ziva thinks it's fun to scatter it all over) so I switched to using Yesterday's New Cat Litter (petco was also having a buy 1 get 1 free sale on the bags so that helped as well. My litter boxes are in their crates & their exercise pens. They don't get 'free' reign of the house until they are 'ready' for it. Ziva using the litterbox just fine, Zoey won't in the exercise pen at work unless I put her in it so she gets to be in a crate except for a little bit of play time until she is more reliable and climbing in the box to go potty. They have to 'earn' their freedom so to speak by doing good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts