Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I bought a whole chicken, brown rice, peas, carrots, and celery. I boiled it up and gave 1/4 cup to Fiona. She seemed to absolutely love it. Would this be ok to feed to her this on a regular basis instead of prepackaged food you buy at the pet store? I have a weeks supply in the fridge and that's my plan. any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
IMO she would do better on just plain prey model raw (raw chicken), with homecooked you will need to add vitamins/minerals to her diet in order to make sure she's getting the right ratio of calicum, & other minerals if you are home cooking. I used to home cook for Zoey and I would add doggie vitamins, and mineral mixes to it to make sure it was balanced.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
You have to be careful because you could overdose your chi on vitamins if you don't know the exact amount to give. I tried cooking my chi homemade & realized I had no idea how much vitamins & minerals to add either. I feed her The Honest Kitchen Preference right now & she loves it. I add Pink salmon, or Chicken or beef.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there's just something about feeding her raw meat that i can't stomach. i see a lot of people do it and love it, but it's just not for us. thanks for the suggestion though.

i'm going on a week vacation with fiona on the 15th and i need to have a nice well balanced recipe i can give her as her main food before i leave. i need to get it together asap because i want her to be used to it before we leave for our trip. could you suggest some supplements/vitamins that could be added to what i already have (chicken, carrots, celery, brown rice and peas)? thanks!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I don't know the right vitamins/minerals, as Zoey got deficient while I was feeding her homecooked. I gave Zoey just a Dog Daily Vitamin, then also gave her "The Missing Link" and Solid Gold Seameal supplement. You could check out Dogster they have a forum on Homecooked, and might have ideas on recipes on how to balance. Dogster Forums - Home Prepared Food & Recipes

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I thunk home cooking is more hassle than it's worth. Your best bet as you font want to do raw is putting her on something like ziwi peak it's a dehydrated raw unless you really know what you are doing your dog could get very sick. Rice and veg is basically just fillers which will make your dog feel full but won't supply them with enough nutrients.

You could always do one of thk and aff your own meat in

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Cooking destroys nutrients. If you are going to home cook - make SURE you know what you are doing. Just meat and veggies and rice is not going to work. balanceit.com has a website on homecooking with supplements or you can go to dogaware.com and click on the home cooking section and read through it. For most people, home cooking is too much of a hassle. Raw feeding is much easier.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Tonight I bought a whole chicken, brown rice, peas, carrots, and celery. I boiled it up and gave 1/4 cup to Fiona. She seemed to absolutely love it. Would this be ok to feed to her this on a regular basis instead of prepackaged food you buy at the pet store? I have a weeks supply in the fridge and that's my plan. any suggestions?
Chicken, brown rice, peas, carrots, and celery is not a complete and balanced food for a dog.
Fiona would be better off on a high quality kibble. Better would be a dehydrated raw. Even better pre-made raw. Or you could go all out and feed raw! ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys thanks for all the replies. so after looking into all the vitamins and minerals she'd need, i agree that home cooking is way too much to handle. today i went to a natural food store and came across a canned food called spot's stew made by halo. it's completely natural, all whole foods you'd find in your own kitchen. no byproducts, meals, or chemicals. all the ingredients are recognizable things and it looks wonderful. i'm super excited. i tried to give her a little bit as soon as i got home, but she kinda sniffed it and looked at me like i was crazy. i'm assuming this is because she's been eating my chicken concoction for the last 2 feedings hah. but, hopefully she will get used to it and love it, because it seems VERY healthy. a little on the pricey side, but very convenient. anyone ever heard of it? thanks for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Halo is pretty good. Glad you were able to find that. Also I wanted to ask which kibble were you feeding her? Just as a tip, grain free kibble is better than with grain or low grain kibble. The protein content is higher which is better plus it doesnt have all of those fillers. Another thing you can give her is tinned sardins in water and mackeral as well.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
there's just something about feeding her raw meat that i can't stomach. i see a lot of people do it and love it, but it's just not for us. thanks for the suggestion though.
I'm like you, I can't stomach the raw meat, it makes me sick to think about my girls eating it just like that :X lol That's def just me though because I get grossed out easily! I just give my girls Ceasar can food. They are pretty picky as it is so if they are happy with that so am I! lol Good luck making your doggie's food!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
One thing I will say is make sure you brush her teeth a few times a week as she will get a lot of plaque build up if not!

Tbh I think a lot of us raw feeders get grossed out at times especially at the beginning but it's second nature now and I wouldn't feed any other way my girls are so healthy it's fab and daisys teeth are so White and shiney it makes me wanna chew on a bone lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts