Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I would like to ask you for some advise. My hamster is a female and it was pregnant in the pet shop when I bought it. I did not know that until it gave birth on Christmas Eve at 11.35pm. I am 11 so I don't really know much about hamsters but I love pets! An animal expert told me that until it grew fur and walks about independently, I am not suppose to touch it. I need to determine the sex of my 2 baby hamsters to see if they will breed as my mom hates hamsters. 馃槩
So can I take the hamsters out when it is just 3 weeks old? I really need your advise. I really hope you can help me with that. Thank you.
Yours sincerely,
Jaymie Wong

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Registered
Breeding just because isn't a good idea, worry about the babies you have now. They should not be handled for quite some time.

They should be separated at 3 weeks, each baby into a different cage. Most hamster species cannot live harmoniously and they can be hard to sex especially when young, the last thing you want is a baby girl impregnated by her brother in her first heat, it could make her sick or kill her and her pups.

When they are young make sure they get a high protein diet, this goes for mom while she nurses also. Egg is excellent for this, just scramble it with no oil or butter and give small pieces every day in her dish.

Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Breeding just because isn't a good idea, worry about the babies you have now. They should not be handled for quite some time.

They should be separated at 3 weeks, each baby into a different cage. Most hamster species cannot live harmoniously and they can be hard to sex especially when young, the last thing you want is a baby girl impregnated by her brother in her first heat, it could make her sick or kill her and her pups.

When they are young make sure they get a high protein diet, this goes for mom while she nurses also. Egg is excellent for this, just scramble it with no oil or butter and give small pieces every day in her dish.

Good luck!
Ok. Thanks but you say that they must be separated? From their mom too? Can we just give them hamster food? Is it ok to take them out on 5 January?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Administrator
What species of hamster are they? The big Syrian kind or the smaller Dwarf type? Syrian hamsters must be always kept alone. More than one in a cage will result in nasty fighting to the point where one is killed.
If they are dwarves (Campbells, Winter White, Roborovski or Chinese) you will be able to leave the female babies in with mum and the male babies with each other. There is no guarantee they will always get along though, so you will need spare cages in case you need to separate them later.
Whatever species, mummy hamster will need some extra food now, not just regular hamster mix. (although she should have plenty of that as well.) Dog or cat kibbles, little bits of cooked meat, egg, cottage cheese, porridge, just a tiny bit each day. Also tiny portions of fruit and veg, and be extra careful that she always has water. Being thirsty even for a few hours can make her destroy her babies.
Just leave them all alone for now, just add food and water daily but don't pick them up or try and clean the cage.

Registered
Separate at 3 weeks on the dot, not a day sooner or a day later. They need time with mom to be healthy.

What kind of hamsters are they?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts