Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Each female is a little different. But generally-you will notice first that they are starting pay more attention to themselves-cleaning alot-the vulva will swell and they cannot seem to find the right spot to pee. Some breeders say that they will look fatter just before the start of the heat cycle.
Some females will spot more than others, so protect the furniture if they are used to getting on the couch, etc.
The cycle usually last for 3 weeks. Usually they do not come into heat until sometime after 6 months. My 6 month old puppy has yet to come in season.
Are you going to breed the female or is she just a pet. I have females that are just pet quality and I would not think about breeding them, so they are spayed. I spayed them before their first heat. That way the vulva never swells and always stays small.
There is nothing wrong with spay/neutering your chi. It is preferred with a pet quality dog. Never having to worry about the heat cycle is good. Less trouble-never worrying about watching them during the cycle.
Every 6 months for 3 weeks. And they can attract males dogs from up to a mile away with their cycle odor. Thank goodness it is not offensive to humans.... :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
well in chis it is usually from 9 months on allthough can be as early as 6 months. it usually lasts 3 weeks and the first heat is the worst and can be fairley messy - you can get little heat pants tp put on her to protect you and your furnishings.

if you do not intend to breed - why not get hjer spayed at 6 months as she will then not have to go through it and also it saves on health problems in later life :wave:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the info :) . I don't intend to breed her or even have her around male dogs (over protective mom). I am thinking of getting her spayed before six months but will have to see if I can afford it. My vet charges $300 so I don't know if that is normal or high. I am terrified of having her go under the knife and of anything going wrong. I know someone that had a dog die during the procedure. I will do my best to gather the courage to get her spayed.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
she cannot be spayed until 6 months or later - they will not do iot before 6 months - usually they wont come into heat at 6 months anyways - I had lily done at 9 months and she hadnt had her heat then - it cost about 80 pounds here which is about 150 dollars - not asure what the going rate is in the US why not ring a few different vets for a quote :wave:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I do not know what area of the US you are in, but $300 seems a bit high. I would think that it should be under $200. If you cannot afford to spay her, check with your local animal shelter or SPCA, sometimes they offer free or reduced rate spay clinics.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Ginger's spay was about $200 all together including blood work, meds, everything and her spay was a bit complecated because she did go into heat.

Get your pup spayed at 6months or soon after. Dont wait until the first heat because their chances of cancer goes up after each heat.

Some signs of heat include spotting, swollen vulva, excessive licking of the vulva area, usually the female is not good at cleaning themselves during their first heat so its pretty easy to tell. Ginger was very swollen right before her cycle began.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Check with your local animal shelter, humane society, or SPCA, they offer low cost sterilization clinics. The one in my area just had a weekend for it last month $35 neuter / $45 spay. An affordable place to get your dog altered.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made an appointment with a low cost clinic that only charges $30! that is soooo cheap. The only problem is that now I am concerned more about how she will be treated. I don't think she will treated with as much care at this clinic than at my vet. I just don't know what to do now. I looked at my expenses and I would be able to afford the $300 my vet charges (barely) and I would feel better knowing that she is getting it done there. On the other side I like the price of the clinic. What would you guys do?? My Pixy is like a child to me and her being safe and treated well is very very important to me.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
is the place clean did the people seem nice - just because it costs less doesnt mean they will treat pixy any better or worse :wave:

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I agree w/ Clare. If the people are friendly and the place looks decent I would go there. Save you a huge amount of money!!!!! Of course if it was dirty then money wouldn't matter,

·
Registered
146 Posts
i think im gonna get honey done when shes 6months
we have 2 vets where i live and i took honey to the more relaxed vet where they are friendly and its alot cleaner
my vet told me to introduce puppy dried food and get her off the tinned puppy food as she said its more healthier for her.
so what do you all feed your chis on?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts