Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, Im officially confused! I looked at a chihuahua and made a deposite on a litlle smooth coat fawn female. But now I am having 2nd thoughts. I like the looks of the father but the mother is a little longer bodied deer type, which I am not fond of. So now I am going to look at some 12 wk. old puppies later this week and in 2 weeks I am going to look at some 6wk old puppies. Although the puppy I made a deposite on is 7wks. and is able to go home at 10 wks. I have time to change my mind. Looks arent everything but I realy want a chihuahua that looks like a chihuahua. I want to pick the perfect pup for me. Any advice for this very confused chihuahua lover? :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I really don't blame you for being picky. My experience has been when you find the chi for you, you'll know it. Something just clicks - at least it does for me. And it might not necessarily be the cutest puppy, nor exactly what you had in mind - when I got Jasmine I had in mind a smooth coat female, preferably fawn colored. I ended up with a long hair sable female. Soon as I saw her, I knew she was the one for me.

If you feel the puppy you made a deposit on is not the one for you, by all means check out other puppies. However, I feel you owe it to the breeder to make a decision soon and let her know if you have decided not to take the puppy. Most breeders do not refund deposits if you change your mind, so you would probably lose your deposit.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I agree with Chimom, when you find your puppy there won't be any doubts. It'll be total love and commitment from the moment you see the pup. I did have the presence of mind to remember to look at the parents but I'm not at all sure it would have mattered if they hadn't been right, I fell hard for Marcus at first sight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I really really really wanted a longcoat female puppy; I am getting a cream shorthaired puppy. But she is the one for me, I wasn't completely sure it was what I wanted, in fact I felt I was "settling" for her because she was close to us, and in my price range. But one look in her eyes, and I was head over heels. It doesn't matter what she looks like anymore, she's my baby. :D I would look for the "click" over looks. IMHO, if you're thinking about a different pup, that "click" wasn't there, and you should keep looking!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
when i first started looking at pups i thought the blakc and tan long coats were gorgeous but as soon as i seen chiwi's picture i was hooked! size, coat, deer head, apple head it all went out the window when i seen the "tiny bronze fox"

you'll know. and i agree, try to tell the breeder as soon as you can if you change your mind....

·
Registered
677 Posts
You definitely have time to chose the perfect chi for you. I was first going to get Minka's sister Lacy May but once they got a little older I saw that Minka was a better match.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Well, Cheryl, when you fall in love with the dog you want, you'll know which one to get. I understand wanting an "AKC Standard" looking dog, but really, they are all recognized as chihuahuas. When I bring my two deer heads out, everybody knows they are chis. However you need to do what will make you happy too, so hurry up and meet that perfect chi so you can change your name to "happychiowner".

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I agree with what has been said Cheryl. I wanted a short haired fawn puppy and then as soon as I saw Poppy (long haired tan and white) I knew she was the one!! When its right...you'll just know! :D

·
Registered
825 Posts
I totally agree with whats already been said. If youve already seen the pup you put a deposit down on and are still unsure, then i dont think that the puppy is the right one for you. Your totally right to be picky as its a big commitment and you have to get the right pup for you. You will know when you meet 'your' pup. I met mine last night and im not ashamed to say that my eyes filled up with tears when i saw her, and fell in love with her straight away! Its gonna be a long 6 weeks till i finally have her home! :lol: Good luck with your search. :)

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Ditto to everything. You will know which pup is right for you.
I saw Ginger and decided at first not to get her but I couldnt get her out of my head. As funny as it sounds I was having troubles sleeping because I kept thinking about her. It didnt take long for me to go back and get her. She was just meant to be in my life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts