Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new here and I really need some advice or to see if anyone else has or had this issue.

My baby Ozzy is 6 months old we started potty training him when he was 3 months he started getting the hang of it but then we had to move. We are now in a small condo we are renting that has carpet so we bought a crate to keep him from peeing on the carpet.

We have been there for 4 days and he refuses to pee when we take him out, this is not normal for him at all. He has peed 3 times on the grass and has no issue pooping. He has now peed on the kitchen tile twice and the bathroon tile twice right after bringing him in.

We take him out every hour, make sure he drinks water but the little bugger will NOT pee outside on the grass. My husband is at his wits end and I am really worried it's going to cause issues because I refuse to get rid of him. Also, he pees in the crate I thought that dogs didn't do that where they slept but not this guy.

I praise him, tell him I love him and try to make going to the grass area fun but he isn't getting it. What am I doing wrong?

Please help.

Thank you,
Rachelle

·
Registered
47 Posts
This sounds crazy but this happened to me: I moved to a dog friendly apartment and 1 of my chihuahuas would NOT pee where another dog had peed. She would poop but not pee unless we were out there for 30 minutes or longer.

The trainer said she may have felt that it wasn't territory. It was such a pain to break this habbit but we put wee wee pads down outside (I must've looked like such a dumby putting down a pad on a lawn but w/e). It worked. After a few weeks I started folding the pad in half. Then I started putting down a paper towel and eventually weened her down to nothing. She now will pee on the lawn. Maybe it will work for your dog? it was a very bizzare off beat solution.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response and that actually sounds like a good idea. He is really stubborn and feisty. I will try the pad when I get home from work tonight. My poor mom watches him while we are at work and she is about to stop watching him all together. :(

I know it sucks but I am glad to at least hear I am not the only one with a Chi that refuses to pee on the grass in a new place. I thought at first it was because he was upset but then after two days and him not showing any other signs of sadness I was baffled.

I will report back tonight =)

Thank you so much again!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Rico was so conditioned to piddle pads that he would not go on grass for his first two years. I still bring a piddle pad to the beach....

he now goes outside with me first thing in the morning and wee-s on several places in the garden. We keep the piddle pad and the box for when he is home alone or it is too snowy.

I have had him get any sort of area rug mixed up for a new piddle pad---he is almost too good. I watch him very carefully around rugs....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts