Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little chihuahua, about a year 1/2 old. I have tried to paper train her forever but with little success. We use scented puppy pads. I tried using that stuff that you spray where you DON'T want them to go, but it didn't work. I haven't ever tried the spray that is supposed to attract them to a spot.

Is she too old to be trained? How many pads should I lay out and where?

I also have a black lab that goes outside, but my chi is too afraid to go outside. Would the pads and spray make the lab want to go inside?

I would love and appreciate any helpful advice anyone may have to offer :D

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Hi and welcome! :wave: I have 2 doggies and both of them I have been trying to pad train as well. On some days they are excellent and other days they are quite naughty :) . If your lab goes outside I would try to take the chi out eventhough she is scared. I think she might really get the hang of it watching the other one do it's business. Where do you live? Because if it's really cold right now that could also be a reason she doesn't like to go out.

I put 2 pads in the house. One in the living room and one in my bedroom, that's where they are usually at. I would also suggest to keep the pads in the same spot and don't move them around because she might get confused on where to go. Eventhough she is 1 1/2, there is still hope she could pick it up. :wink:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I use 2 pads side by side by the back door - as this is the door I want them to go out of - I would suggest starting from scratch and pretending she is a puppy again - can you keep her confined too a smaller area at first and then give her more rom - always put the pads by the door you want her to go out of to toilet outside if you do - it is just perciverance and practice :wave: good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much, and also, does it matter what brand of pad I use? Have you found any paticular brand that works better and is thier any other products I could try that may help? Thanks again :)

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I've only used one brand it's from Wal-Mart, the generic brand. You get like 32 pads for around $7 I think. I thought that was pretty cheap. Eventhough it's the cheaper brand, they have NEVER leaked or tore or anything like that. You could always get a huge bag too. They sell the big ones at pet stores.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I use puppy pads I get 100ct for $22, which is the same per pad as Imkari.......I have a puppy pad in each room and she knows where they are, eventually I will give her two options. Hopefully after that she will go outside.....right now my boy chi is peeing in the house and nothing is working on getting it thru his thick skull. It all started when he saw we made a big deal praising her..............anyway I am saying maybe your older dog may relapse.....I trust my puppy now more than my older chi. :roll:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know if this helps but I was told to do the following:

1. Do not let the Chi out of your sight when you are home. That way you know when they have to potty and can move/direction them to the designationed area.

2. If they need to be left alone either crate them or place them in a small area with food water and a piddle pad. You can do this with a baby gate. THis helps them learn where is the correct place to go.

3. Take them outside ever 1 1/2 to two hours if potty training for outdoors.

I use numbers 2 and 3 a lot....don't crate mine much but do baby gate him.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think, no matter if you do pads training or go outside, it must become a routine for a dog. If you switch from this to that it is confusing for them. For example, when we used to go out with Richie while still keeping his box inside it still it was not working so well. As soon as we removed the box, he stopped doing his business inside completely. So, I guess he was just confused what was a right thing to do. But then you should really go out with him regurarly, not missing times, so that he knows when he will go. I don't really have much expereince with pads- we always prefered to go out with all our previous dogs.

Richie's mom

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget is 6 1/2 weeks old and I have had him for 3 weeks. The first 5 days we had him in a box.. he would go all over in it and 1 day he started using the corner. Then we got him a soft cushie bed and turned the box into a potty box and he started using it.... when we are in the livingroom he has a potty box that is open at one end so he can walk into it. he is really good about using it... I know I can't believe it. It is like he is potty training himself. we have a potty box by my side of the bed and @ night I put him in it for him to use... He is really good about warning us he has to go.. even though there has been a few boo boos by us.... not realizing what he was trying to tell us... but we might have it down now...

I agree that it is all about consistance. The pup needs to know where and what to use all the time.. if you change something on him/her thye will get confused and have mistakes...

It's kind of like potty training my daughter... I had to get her a potty chair and put it in 1 place and keep taking her in there few so often and she finally got it and started ddoingit on her own,.... Thank God!!!!

I know that most pups this young isn't like gadget but I think i caught it early with him and started working with him earlier than most people do their pups...

Took him to the vet today to get his first shot... man he didnot like it at all...

Good Luck with the potty training :wave:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts