Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been battling with fleas, well actually my animals have but same difference. I have medicated, bought flea collars, dipped all four of them, bombed my house and washed everything and I cannot get rid of them!! Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
the only thing that worked for me was frontline. my guys were invested in california and after i started using frontline i never saw another flea :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure why it isn't working for me then! This is so frustrating! I have spent almost fifty dollars trying to get rid of these things and I don't know what to do!! Add that to Junie's unexpected vet visit and Christmas coming up, we are running out of extra money! Anyway, I don't mean to sound like a crazy person it just seems like everything is snowballing and I am having a hard time keeping up. Anyway, hopefully I will feel better about things tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
We have 2 chi's, and my husband works for a pest control company. One thing you HAVE to do if you have an infestation of fleas is you have to vacuum your upholstery and carpets to help get rid of the fleas AND the eggs they carry; then throw the sweeper bag away. Otherwise you will ALWAYS have new fleas being born and it will be continuous. My husband goes through a lot of this in his job...people always say the same thing as you have. So at least try the va***ming if you've done everything else. That seems to be what you have lacked doing. Good luck!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. That would work I am sure but I only have one chair that has upholstry (sp?). I have hard wood floors and leather furniture. I will vacuum the chair though and the beds and everything that is cloth. Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
you could also try throwing all the dogs beds and stuffed animals in the washing machine with a good squirt of the flea dip fluid, it should help kill the fleas on the items that are difficult to va***e.
if the beds you have have removable covers see if you can get some cedar chips and put a small handfull inside the bed fleas HATE cedar. so the smell will keep any remaning fleas form layign eggs on their beds.

i too have had trouble with frontline, its been suggested that in some areas the fleas have become accustomed to frontline. i had to switch from frontline to K9 Advantix because the frotnline wasnt keeping the bugs off...now i go all natural on the chihuahuas because dodger had a slight skin reaction, but the ****er spaniel whos out the most used the advantix and weve not had any fleas or tick in the house since.
if your in an area prone to west nile the trend seems to be areas that have been sprayed for westnile have more resistent fleas. my vet says the same thing, she suggests advantix over frontline now because shes had so many clients come in using frontline and still having a flea problem.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just laughing at the language filter. That is so interesting because we have a really concentrated area of West Nile and spraying and all that! I will have to look around and find somwhere to get advantix! Thanks!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Should I wait unitl it has been a month since I put the frontline on them before I put the advantix on them? I hope this works!

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
that one id give your vet a call on, usually after a bunch of flea dips so long as its been more than 3 weeks its usually ok (the advantix doses are closer dosed for small dogs too) but check with your vet...explain that your not having luckwith the frontline and that youll let them know if it works better too...that way if they have anyone call with the same problem they can pass on any info.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
This is most interesting. I had typically used K-9 Advantix on my dogs with great success... (we don't have cats so I could use it without concern) Then I switched to Frontline, per the vets advice and have had a terrible time fighting flees. How irritating. My vet doesn't carry Advantix, I had ordered it at 1800petmeds. Naturally the vets office warned me about that too. Sooooooooo, I'm going back to petmeds and K-9!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am going to give my vet a call and if they don't have it I have found a place I can order it. Thank you all so much for your advice! I can always count on you for your wealth of information! You guys are wonderful! Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just had another question. Since I have cats should I not use it? Chi's Rule said something about being able to use it without concern since she didn't have cats. This could be a problem...hmm....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Kari said:
I don't know why it's filtering those words :lol: But we'll let admin know, so they can fix it. :wave:
I'm somewhat of a prude, Kari, but I see why they are being filtered. I think it is hilarious!! Overdrive indeed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel like I am living with my parents again cuz I can't say ****. If it bleeps that out it starts with a c and ends with rap:) I am sneaky:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts