Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone!

I am currently talking my parents into getting a chihuahua, but we have a few more questions about them!

1. How many of you do crate training? I did this with my australian sheperd until he was almost a year old...now he sleeps on my bed with me lol

2. As far as housebreaking goes, do chis have those extremely small bladders and they just go all over the place, or with the proper training, can they be housebroken easily? I'm aware of how to housebreak, my aussie was housebroken in 3 days (constantly bringing him outside like every 2-3 hours) but he was a bigger puppy. Think the chihuahua can be easily trained as well if I constantly watch her and make sure she's brought out?

3. And for those of you who have more than one chi, how do they get along? Say I was to get 2 female chis, could they share the same crate (obviously I'd get a big one) and keep them together in a pen or something for at night? I think I'd want them to sleep and be together so they always have a buddy. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks for ANY input! I'm really trying to get all the info I can on these little pups! I've never owned a dog this small before, so I want to make sure I do everything right it grows up to be a healthy dog! Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
1 = yes crate training is the same for any dog....my boy is crate trained my girl is giving me trouble.

2 = Housebreaking can be a problem but it can also be just fine, cant say depends on the dog. Both of mine are great of course we have accidents. My boy can hold like 9 hours if necessary if he is inactive, otherwise you want them to go like every 2 hours. That will depend on your dog.

3= raising 2 or more together should be fine--it took awhile for my boy to get used to his sister...cant say he would want to share a crate with her as she is a puppy and she has a bit more energy than he does so they are not "best" friends yet. Others have no problems at all with their blended families -- others do. You cant judge one dog from the next.....but I say the overall majority would say it ok!! I am all for them having a buddy unless youare home all the time with them- they are quite social creatures.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
1. I have Molly in a crate while I'm at school but she's next to her malti-poo brother that's why she's not alone. I also have her in her cage at night. My mom won't let her sleep in my bed w/ me until we move!

2. Let's just say that a chi's bladder isn't as big as an australian shepard's! :lol: They don't go that much unless they've been holding it and then go potty all at one time. I have Molly go on newspaper but we're going to switch her to pp pads because you can use them more than once.

3. I'm not lucky enough to have more than 1 chi! :lol:

Hope that this helps! :D

Edited to say that chihuahuas are very smart dogs and they learn quickly I didn't have that many problems housebreaking Molly. :)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
1. Crate training was a breeze with Tucker from the time I got him. He actually will put himself to bed at night.

2. I had MEGA-trouble trying to train Tucker to potty pads. He just thought that the whole house was a potty. Once I switched to outside potty-training, he caught on almost instantly. I usually bring him out every two or three hours---or whenever he alerts me, if I've lost track of time. He holds it all night from 10 o'clock-or-so until I get him up in the mornings around 10 am. (If you adopt a male, get him neutered no later than 6 months. It keeps them from marking their territory).

3. I only have Tucker---and an inside cat, so I've no advice to give on this one. :)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I'll answer #3.

If you really think your going to get more than 1, if possible it would be safer to get them both at the same time. I say safer because if they are the same age and used to being with each other there will be no adjustment, like Kemo's Mama is going through.

I was lucky, I got my second chi, Koke, when my first chi, Sandy, was 6 months old and they loved each other from the start.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies and sharing your experiences! I should have specified more about the 2 chihuahua thing, I would be getting both at the same time, so they'd be sisters from the same litter! I'm just asking all these different questions so I can learn more and am tossing some ideas about with the parents. :)

Also, one more question, does anyone let their chihuahuas have run of the house while they are away? I think I'd put mine in its crate if it's just for a few hours, but wanted to know what others did. Since I'll have dogs of different sizes, I'd be a little nervous letting both dogs roam the house without me there. Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
1. Sunny was a joy to crate train. I leave it open when Im awake and at home.come bed time sunny will go in on his own and I close the door behind him. If I need him to go in for any reason he will go on a vioce command or hand signal.
I really reccommend crate training.Its a life save,literally.

2. Sun was a rescue and came housbroken. As far as his potty breaks he will alert me every few hours when he needs to go out.Only time hes went in the house was revenge. Dad refused to share dinner with him so he pooed on my dads side of the bed on the floor.

3. Sun gets along wonderfully with Butch,out elderly mini schnauzer/

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
We have 2 chihuahuas, had them all throughout college, and they have complete run of the house. They are great dogs and easily entertained and easily trainable. Since you are in socal you are welcome to drop by anytime for questions about chihuahuas or to hang out with ours!

-Nate

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hello there!

1. I do not crate train. My two are confined to the dining room while we work and sleep. Otherwise, they have run of the house. If they do something bad (such as eat the plant as Lola did the other day) they are told to "park it" and they put themselves in their bed in the dining room.

2. Bosco had already gotten the overall concept by the time I brought him home at 7 weeks. Lola caught on at about 10 weeks and has done really well ever since. I have my two trained to use piddle-pads indoors.

3. And for those of you who have more than one chi, how do they get along? I had Bosco for about 6 months before I got Lola. For the most part, they have gotten along together really well. Escpecially now that they have had a few months together, they are inseperable. They play, eat, sleep, and even potty together. LOL But if I take one with me somewhere and leave the other at home, they are fine too.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I would not leave the bigger dog alone with the chis until you are absolutly certain that nothing is going to wrong and the bigger one is not going to harm the chis.
You are only going to be able to tell this from observation, so it's going to take a while.
I have 4 cats along with the 2 chis, and I always seperate them when I go out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I use a crate for my chi when I am at work and at night. I got a large one so I could put a litterbox and bed in it so he doesn't have to hold it all day. I always put his water in their right before I leave and he just goes in and waits for me to shut it. At night I don't even close it anymore he just goes in his bed. It has worked wonderfully!

Potty training has been tough...consistancy is the key. Mine I have to keep a close eye on because he likes to go behind the couch or under my bed.

I only have one right now but I would think two from the same litter should be fine together.

As for the bigger dog...how old is it....my chi spends a lot of time at my parents and they have a german short hair pointer...he's seven and completely ignores the puppies. If they try to play with him he just walks away. So leaving them together is no problem but it will depend on the personalities of your dogs.

Good luck,
Jessi

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Welcome! :wave: I have three adult Chi's, they are pretty much inseperable. Two males and one female. I had very little problem potty training them. They all three go outside and also indoors on pee-pads. I used a small Kennel when they were younger. But now they have the run of the house :) I'm like Boogaloo, if they get in trouble, I make them stay in their room (office). That is where they sleep and have their toys, pads etc. Chihuahuas prefer their own breed...like a little spoiled pack of children. :lol:

sandra
here is my crew...
http://members.cox.net/wic7/

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I only have one and he is crate trained and was a breeze to housebreak. His breeder raised him in her living room and he was well started on pp pads when I got him. He had a few accidents he first week or so but no problems since then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the numerous replies! I love all your chis, they are so great and I am excited to get mine!

As for my dog, TC, he is just wonderful! lol I know everyone says that about all their pets, but he is truly a great pet and very smart. I am not going to keep the chihuahuas out with him while I am away. He would NEVER hurt them, but they are going to be small puppies and the risk is not one I'm willing to take. TC is one of those dogs that gets along great with others. The boarding kennel he was at would reserve the deluxe kennel for him and the woman working there would bring her female dog in to play with TC the days he stayed there! He is at a whopping 65 pounds, but a big baby. He sleeps on my bed with me lol

I'm a little hesitant using those pee pad things because one, I know my parents will hate them and two, I'm afraid it may confuse TC about where he is supposed to go to the bathroom. He is actually trained to go to the bathroom in one specific spot in our yard (makes for easy cleaning) so I'm hoping the chihuahuas can be trained to be the same way, even if I takes more time.

Once again, I'm rambling on lol Thank you everyone again! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts