Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone!

I am currently talking my parents into getting a chihuahua, but we have a few more questions about them!

1. How many of you do crate training? I did this with my australian sheperd until he was almost a year old...now he sleeps on my bed with me lol

2. As far as housebreaking goes, do chis have those extremely small bladders and they just go all over the place, or with the proper training, can they be housebroken easily? I'm aware of how to housebreak, my aussie was housebroken in 3 days (constantly bringing him outside like every 2-3 hours) but he was a bigger puppy. Think the chihuahua can be easily trained as well if I constantly watch her and make sure she's brought out?

3. And for those of you who have more than one chi, how do they get along? Say I was to get 2 female chis, could they share the same crate (obviously I'd get a big one) and keep them together in a pen or something for at night? I think I'd want them to sleep and be together so they always have a buddy. Is this a good or bad idea?

Thanks for ANY input! I'm really trying to get all the info I can on these little pups! I've never owned a dog this small before, so I want to make sure I do everything right it grows up to be a healthy dog! Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies and sharing your experiences! I should have specified more about the 2 chihuahua thing, I would be getting both at the same time, so they'd be sisters from the same litter! I'm just asking all these different questions so I can learn more and am tossing some ideas about with the parents. :)

Also, one more question, does anyone let their chihuahuas have run of the house while they are away? I think I'd put mine in its crate if it's just for a few hours, but wanted to know what others did. Since I'll have dogs of different sizes, I'd be a little nervous letting both dogs roam the house without me there. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you everyone for the numerous replies! I love all your chis, they are so great and I am excited to get mine!

As for my dog, TC, he is just wonderful! lol I know everyone says that about all their pets, but he is truly a great pet and very smart. I am not going to keep the chihuahuas out with him while I am away. He would NEVER hurt them, but they are going to be small puppies and the risk is not one I'm willing to take. TC is one of those dogs that gets along great with others. The boarding kennel he was at would reserve the deluxe kennel for him and the woman working there would bring her female dog in to play with TC the days he stayed there! He is at a whopping 65 pounds, but a big baby. He sleeps on my bed with me lol

I'm a little hesitant using those pee pad things because one, I know my parents will hate them and two, I'm afraid it may confuse TC about where he is supposed to go to the bathroom. He is actually trained to go to the bathroom in one specific spot in our yard (makes for easy cleaning) so I'm hoping the chihuahuas can be trained to be the same way, even if I takes more time.

Once again, I'm rambling on lol Thank you everyone again! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.