Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some advice, please

Hi all,
I don't post much, but I do read all your posts. You all teach me quite a bit with my chi. I adopted Sookie summer last year from our local shelter. She is 11 months old now weighs about 4 1/2 pds. Today I got another chi baby. She is 6 weeks old and I didn't expect her for a couple of weeks but the owners had to bring her today. Ok I'm a little worried about Sookie and the baby being alone. How do I do this? Right now they are both asleep in my lap. But earlier Sookie was trying to play with the lil one and I'm afraid she will hurt her. The puppy isn't scared tho, she was growling and trying to bite Sookie. lol Do you think I need to keep them apart?
This is the new baby, who still doesn't have a name.

Thank you in advance!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
6 weeks is really young for your baby to be away from it's mommy. It really isn't even hardly weaned. I would go directly down to your local pet store and buy some puppy formula. For about a month I would mix it with her kibble to soften it. Make sure the food is mushy so she can eat it. You will want to feed her 5-6 times a day and once during the night at first til you know she is doing well and can go without the PM feeding.

Be very careful to not put your puppy on the ground or grass where other dogs have been and keep your shoes off in the house as she can get sick from germs brought in on them.

You also may want to consider getting her a small heating pad. Puppies that young have a tough time regulating their own body heat.

I would not leave the puppy alone with your older dog no matter how much you trust it. For now, the puppy can stay by itself in your bathroom while you are gone with a bed, water (make sure its not too deep or she can drown in it), toys, and potty pads. You have a lot of work ahead of you to keep this puppy strong and healthy.

·
Registered
327 Posts
She is beautiful! I have a soft spot for white chis <3

I got my two youngest at seven weeks from unavoidable circumstances as well (as already stated, it was way too early). I do most of the things suggested above by Kristi.

I let the puppies down with the "big" dogs only under supervision, because you just never know. Kashi does like your baby, and thinks she is just as big as everyone else, but she gets rolled over when the others run over her and I have to get after them to be gentle.

I keep a radiator type space heater near Kashi and Moka's crates on low most of the time since it is still getting cold at night. I use that kind because it doesn't send a concentrated beam of heat at them, just warms the area up a little. I'd also suggest having nutri-cal, or something like it, handy. A baby gate on a bathroom is nice if you can't watch the puppy and want to let it play. It won't be able to get out, but you can still hear or see from the next room. I steam cleaned mine and put down a pad, food, water and toys. It seems to keep them from crying and getting bored if I'm doing something else.

Good luck, I'm sure your little one will do just fine. Be sure to post more pics and let us know the name you come up with!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! I wasn't ready for her just yet but she's such a sweet lil thing. I will do just as you say.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,
Just a quick update on the lil puppy I got a couple of weeks ago. She is doing really well. I went and bought the nutri cal, replacement milk, toys, pads and she slept with me for a few nights. My boss is so great too, he let me take her with me to work. So I got to spend some quality time with her. She eats on her own and is a lil meanie to my bigger dog Sookie. Last Saturday tho the owner of the parent dogs came by and still had a puppy left and needed to get rid of it asap. Ok so its mine now too. Sheesh.. This one is smaller and was born with a crooked tail. She is soo loving tho. Talk about work. But what can I do, they make my day.

Thank you all for your help, it has meant sooo much. I have healthy pups thanks to your advice. :)

By the way their names are Dazy, and Riddles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts