Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok all you chihuahua expert-type people, tell me what you think. I would like to take Jolie and Boomer to the park in town to take their callendar pictures but i'm concerned about bugs/viruses and such and don't want to put my babies at risk. I shudder as i type this because i would just die if one or both of them got sick because i exposed them unnecessarily. Jolie has had actually 4 puppy shots with the last one 2 days ago. Boomer has had 2 shots..august13 and the last was 2 days ago. Jolie is 15 weeks 4 days old and Boomer is 9 weeks 4 days. What cha think?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,989 Posts
I am a fraidy cat about the Parvo subject so in my opinion Jolie is safe and Boomer is not and I would not take any chances, JMO. Now if you really feel you need to take them to a park I would find a spot that didnt have any feces in sight and then put a blanket down and not let them off of the blanket. I am not sure where you live but my area is horrible when it comes to the Parvo virus and I see puppies die from it all the time so I guess that is what terrifies me.

I know it only takes one shot from the series to be immune from Parvo but usually it is the last shot when they are around 4 months?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
I'd take them somewhere in your yard for pics... the question is... can you get them to hold still long enough to snap a photo? :lol:

I dunno if I'd take Boomer to the park since he's missing two rounds of vacs. Plus, knowing you, if you did take them and they didn't get anything, you'd still worry constantly and you'd probably have them both at the vet the next day regardless. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yoshismom said:
I am a fraidy cat about the Parvo subject so in my opinion Jolie is safe and Boomer is not and I would not take any chances, JMO. Now if you really feel you need to take them to a park I would find a spot that didnt have any feces in sight and then put a blanket down and not let them off of the blanket. I am not sure where you live but my area is horrible when it comes to the Parvo virus and I see puppies die from it all the time so I guess that is what terrifies me.

I know it only takes one shot from the series to be immune from Parvo but usually it is the last shot when they are around 4 months?
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


I'm a fraidy cat about Parvo too. The only reasom i would want to take them to the park is because this particular park is so pretty, the town of Ardmore really did it up nice with landscaping, shrubs, flowers etc i few years ago. It would make for some really pretty pictures. In my yard, i have,,,,weeds. And not even colorful ones! lol :shock: I think i'm asking this question knowing darn well i'm not willing to risk my babies just for a pretty picture

The thing about the shots is this, babies get immunity from momma through nursing. In order for a puppy shot to work, that natural immunity has to be worn or wearing off. Otherwise the shot doesn't work. The problem is not knowing exactly when the natural immunity will wear off as it will differ from dog to dog. So the shot is done every couple weeks until the dog reaches the age when the natural immunity has surely worn off.

:D Oh Lord, i think i'll just keep them home and have weeds for a background!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
LOL go buy one of those posters with the night time photo of the Eiffel Tower or something and take a photo of them in front of it. :lol: :lol:

I wonder though; if you took them to the park and didn't put them on the ground, but on the swings instead (that's just an example... I know they wouldn't stay on the swings) - would they still be in danger of contracting parvo if it's out there? I'm not all that well-versed in parvo and how it's passed around so I don't know. Maybe you could find a picnic table to put them on and spread a blanket or table cloth over it and manage to get some pretty scenery in the background still.

OOHHH!! OR... take a basket or something like that and put them in it (good luck keeping them in it) with a blanket underneath if you put them on the ground!! :shock: Would that work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cooper said:
LOL go buy one of those posters with the night time photo of the Eiffel Tower or something and take a photo of them in front of it. :lol: :lol:

I wonder though; if you took them to the park and didn't put them on the ground, but on the swings instead (that's just an example... I know they wouldn't stay on the swings) - would they still be in danger of contracting parvo if it's out there? I'm not all that well-versed in parvo and how it's passed around so I don't know. Maybe you could find a picnic table to put them on and spread a blanket or table cloth over it and manage to get some pretty scenery in the background still.

OOHHH!! OR... take a basket or something like that and put them in it (good luck keeping them in it) with a blanket underneath if you put them on the ground!! :shock: Would that work?

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Yea and then when one of them hopped out of the basket i'd have a heart attack right then and there! :shock: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
JOLIE'SMOM said:
:D Oh Lord, i think i'll just keep them home and have weeds for a background!
LOL I know how you feel. We have one solitary lot of daffodils out and had a few early roses (amazing) early last month, which was our last month of winter, but even so the girls would not keep still in one place outdoors for very long. What about one or two pretty potplants in the pic??? I'm still thinking of more ideas as the pics I've taken so far have pretty bland backgrounds. :roll: :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,716 Posts
Cooper said:
LOL go buy one of those posters with the night time photo of the Eiffel Tower or something and take a photo of them in front of it. :lol: :lol:

I wonder though; if you took them to the park and didn't put them on the ground, but on the swings instead (that's just an example... I know they wouldn't stay on the swings) - would they still be in danger of contracting parvo if it's out there? I'm not all that well-versed in parvo and how it's passed around so I don't know. Maybe you could find a picnic table to put them on and spread a blanket or table cloth over it and manage to get some pretty scenery in the background still.

OOHHH!! OR... take a basket or something like that and put them in it (good luck keeping them in it) with a blanket underneath if you put them on the ground!! :shock: Would that work?
contrary to what some people may say, parvo is not air born but it is highly contagious that if you got it on the bottom of your shoe for example you could bring it into your house.

i didn't put chiwi on the ground until she had her last set of shots and her rabies shot. i will do the same with jumba. i did take her to petsmart and other stores but they are safe if they don't touch ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rachael Polachek said:
If I had to guess, I'd say those two won't see that pretty new park until they're 5 or 6... YEARS old. :lol:

I don't think you can be too careful when it comes to pups and parvo. You'd freaking kill yourself if anything happened so why risk it? :)
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

OMG you are so right Rachael! How stupid of me to even think of taking them out to the Bug Infested, Skanky ,Viral, Slimey, Poison Dog killin" Park!

I'll just take their picture in my weed infested but virtually bug free yard. lol :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,356 Posts
i wouldn't risk taking them to the park if they haven't had all their shots yet. Chico didn't go outside until he was around 7 or 8 months old. That may seem to long to wait to take him outside, but I had a dog who got distemper (through no fault of my own...he had it when i adopted him from the shelter) and I wasn't taking any chances. But I agree with Cooper, why not just put them in fromt of a pretty poster? :lol:

For Chico's calendar pic, I think I'm going to take him either in the desert (which is right across the street from my apartment) or take him to the mini lake at my mother in laws housing community. but, if he'll sit still, i'd really like to get him dressed in swim wear and put him in a floaty in the pool and have a little drink with an umbrella sitting beside him. but the chances of him sitting still for that are only about .00000001% :lol:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top