Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I need your honest opinion. There is a Pomeranian at work that needs to be adopted and I am being pressured to take him. Here is his story…

He is about yrs old and was found by kids tied up out in the middle of a field. He has a very large testicular tumor and will have to have all of his teeth pulled. He is loosing his fur but the doc thinks it’s due to the tumor.
He is a very sweet boy, but when I brought Kylie near his cage he lunged at her and was barking/growling.
Another problem is that we don’t quite know the extent to his health problems. They don’t know if his cancer has spread or not. He is also a very old dog…is it worth putting him through a surgery?

I just don’t know what is the right thing. Do I attempt to save him, do I let the vet humanely euthanizee him? The biggest issue I have at the moment is if he is aggressive. I don’t think it would be fair to my girls or to him to put him in my home and he be very aggressive.

Also, I am not sure what my living arraignments will be in the next year. I might have to move and I might not be able to have a 4th dog.

I don’t know what to do. They would not let my dogs near him for fear he has something contagious. They are going to talk to me more about it tomorrow. What really bothered me was that I could not get the doctor to agree that surgery would be the best thing for this dog. I just don’t want to try anything heroic and the poor dog end up worse then he already is. Do I just let him enjoy his last couple days being spoiled at the hospital and let him go peacefully?

I think the two things that concern me the most are the following….

1)My living arraignments…right now I can have him but what if I have to move and I have to get rid of him. I guess if that happened I could always try to find him a new home but is that fair to him.

2)His aggressive nature…obviously if he is really dog aggressive I cannot take him…. its not far to my three girls

I just had to ask you all what you thought. I would love to help this little guy live out the rest of his live in a place where he will be loved, but I think there is such a thing as trying too hard and not being realistic. Let me know what you all think.
Thanks
-Jessica

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have you tried to contact a Pom rescue group?
That is such a hard situation to be in. I brought a rescue home once who was very aggressive to my other dogs and it really made my two at home very depressed, withdrawen and they were even not eating. the aggresive dog would constantly try to intimadate and even try to attack them. Like you said, it was not fair to them and their quality of life.
Maybe you could put a sign up at your supermarket or petshop and describe the situation. There really are alot of people who would take in a little one. I was lucky bc the person I found to take in my rescue just fell in love with her. They wound up spending thousands on her medical bills but they didn't mind. And she was not aggresive with them bc she was the only dog in their house. But we were lucky. are there any no kill shelter where you are?
Good luck & don't worry too much, everything will work out

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
What a horrible situation. My heart goes out to the poor thing. Only you can know the right thing to do but honestly it sounds like you have a lot of understandable reservations. I am not sure in your place all things considered that I would take him even though i would want to. This may sound stupid but is there a Pomeranian rescue group ? Good luck What a terrible decision :(

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
That's a tough question. Does the vet have an opinion on what would be best or what he/she would do?

I'm going to be devil's advocate here, so no one get angry with me for what I'm about to say.

Perhaps putting him down would be the best thing for him. Here are my reasons... he's sick and might be sicker than you know; he's aggressive and if you don't take him home, someone else might and their children might get hurt; his teeth are a concern since there won't be any - the effort to feed him would be greater than "normal"; he's old so the risks of surgery are higher than normal; and it's possible that you could be saving him a lot of pain and grief by just ending it for him.

I understand why you would want to help him, as well as your reservations but you need to consider four things, really. What's best for him? How much money are you willing to contribute to his health/surgery? How much time are you able to devote to him if he lives and if you get him home? And how willing are you to put your family and pets at risk if he does go home with you?

In your shoes, I think I would put him down or try to find a rescue group to help him. I wouldn't want to have to make THE decision but I'd probably opt for euthanasia - he's old, he's sick and he's aggressive. I'd hate to give up on him but the negative facts are hard to ignore.

Good luck to you - I don't envy your position at all.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
The poor thng but I dont think you should have to feel like yuo should take on the responsibilty. If your unsure of your living arrangements next year then you may no be offering a permanent home and will only make it harder on yourself if you have to let him go if you get attached. Also, you wouldnt want your girls to feel a threat in their own home, though that may have just been his nerves after his experience being tyed up ect... in time he may love the girls. :wave:

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all...
I really think I should let him go. The poor guy looks horrible and the vet absolutely will not tell me that surgery will help him. I just dont think its fair to him to put him through such a procedure. Maybe we should just spoil him and let him go....but i just dont know.
Thanks for giving me the other side of the coin Cooper...I really need someone who is willing to look at this at a different angle and you make very good points.
I am going to sleep on it and hopfully know more in the morning.
Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I agree 100% with Cooper's mom. Spoil the little guy rotten and put an end to his pain and suffering. It might be the kindest thing anyone has ever done for him. So sorry you have to make such a tough decision.

What kind of sadistic S.O.B. leaves a desperately sick dog tied up in the middle of a field??? I hope he rots in h-ell. :twisted:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cooper said:
That's a tough question. Does the vet have an opinion on what would be best or what he/she would do?

I'm going to be devil's advocate here, so no one get angry with me for what I'm about to say.

Perhaps putting him down would be the best thing for him. Here are my reasons... he's sick and might be sicker than you know; he's aggressive and if you don't take him home, someone else might and their children might get hurt; his teeth are a concern since there won't be any - the effort to feed him would be greater than "normal"; he's old so the risks of surgery are higher than normal; and it's possible that you could be saving him a lot of pain and grief by just ending it for him.

I understand why you would want to help him, as well as your reservations but you need to consider four things, really. What's best for him? How much money are you willing to contribute to his health/surgery? How much time are you able to devote to him if he lives and if you get him home? And how willing are you to put your family and pets at risk if he does go home with you?

In your shoes, I think I would put him down or try to find a rescue group to help him. I wouldn't want to have to make THE decision but I'd probably opt for euthanasia - he's old, he's sick and he's aggressive. I'd hate to give up on him but the negative facts are hard to ignore.

Good luck to you - I don't envy your position at all.
I think this too. for the same reasons. Your a great doggie mom to have considered doing this. your already a hero. keep us informed

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:( Well the doc called me back. He told me he really thinks the best thing for the little guy would be to end his suffering...he really doesnt think its the best thing for him to go through the surgeries.

:cry: I am crying right now. I really fell in love with him but I need to be honest with myself and do whats right for him. He reacted very badly to Kylie and the doc really doesnt think he will survive surgery. I really think I am doing the right thing but it doesnt make me feel any better.

Thanks again guys, especially those who went out on the limb and told me what I probably didnt want to hear. In the end I needed to hear both sides in order to make the decision. In the end its just not fair to him and its not fair to my girls to put an aggressive dog into the family.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts