Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a horrible time with potty training our little Peanut. He's not quite 4 months old yet, and the first week or so we had him, he did PERFECT with the puppy pad....NO accidents at all. Then we had to leave him overnight b/c we had to take my husband back to the airport after his leave (he's in the military). Ever since then things have gone downhill.

I'm constantly cleaning up dog pee. My hands are raw from being in water so much the last 2 weeks. It's not a question of whether or not he knows how to use the pee pad. He knows. He just refuses. Most times, he'll pee a huge puddle on the floor, then when he sees me coming, he jumps into the litter pan and pees a tinkle or two on the pee pad. He knows.

I've cleaned up pee so much that I'm becoming angry and frustrated. :foxes15: I flew off the handle a little bit earlier b/c he peed in the floor again, after I had scrubbed the kitchen down earlier (b/c it smelled like dog in there...and I can't stand a house that smells like dog...sorry.).

I am VERY frustrated right now and it's getting to the point that I don't even want to hold Peanut much any more or play with him b/c I'm so mad all the time from cleaning up his pee messes.

Does anybody have any sage potty training wisdom for me? Please?? I feel like I'm about to lose it over here and I know my tension is not helping this problem any, but I honestly don't know what to do anymore. :(

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Welcome to the board! :)

First of all you need to keep in mind that he is just a baby and will have ups and downs for quite some time. It sounds like something has confused him, I am thinking you let him have free alone time run of the house to soon and in doing so he has pottied in the house and probably left his urine scent. The thing is you cannot clean this up with just soap and water. You need something to take the urine scent out, I like "Nature's Miracle" you can this at PetsMart, Petco, etc... Find all spots he has used and clean with this thoroughly then work from there and start all over again. Invest in a crate and if you leave the house keep him in his crate (a small crate with only enough room for him a bed and to turn around in). Also supervise him when you are home and he has free run, if you have to, teather him to you so he will have to go where you go and watch for signs for him needing to go potty. He is still a baby and you will have on and off relapses and he will feed off of your stress and frustration and this can make it much worse. Do not shout or punish him as this will worsen the behavior as well. If you feel you are getting frustrated or stressed then pop a breath mint or some gum in your mouth and this may help. Lots of praise when he does go potty where he is supposed, make a huge silly excited deal out of it and then give him a treat. He will eventually get it that it pleases you that he is pottying there and it will set that behavior in.

Please just be patient with the little guy as he is still at an age like a tiny human baby and just needs a little love and understanding;-) Good luck and keep us updated :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Yes, yes Yoshismom is right on!!!

Crate if you are out of the house or cannot actively watch him. When he is out of his crate he needs to be tethered to you by a leash. When you see him start sniffing to turning circles or if he starts pulling you towards the pad then rush him over there and praise like crazy if he goes in the appropriate place!

Clean with Nature's Miracle all the places he has pottied.

I know that potty training is hard and can be very frustrating. If you start to feel that you can't handle it then put him in his crate and take a break for yourself. Don't feel guilty for using that crate to keep you from going nuts!

Good luck!!

Olivia

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Welcome to the board! :)

He is still a baby and you will have on and off relapses and he will feed off of your stress and frustration and this can make it much worse. Do not shout or punish him as this will worsen the behavior as well. If you feel you are getting frustrated or stressed then pop a breath mint or some gum in your mouth and this may help. Lots of praise when he does go potty where he is supposed, make a huge silly excited deal out of it and then give him a treat. He will eventually get it that it pleases you that he is pottying there and it will set that behavior in.

Please just be patient with the little guy as he is still at an age like a tiny human baby and just needs a little love and understanding;-) Good luck and keep us updated :)
I would like to say "well done" to your reply.. So many times these little ones can and will turn into trembling, fearful pups purely as the result of the manner and tone of correction they are given as babies. My kids were raised with discipline but in a loving and compassionate manner, and I have found it works with chis as well. I never turned away from my children because they made mistakes and can't imagine looking into the loving, trusting faces of my pups and making them feel rejected. To them, we are their world, their safe place and that is a tremendous responsibility.

I am sane enough to realize that all will not agree with my approach, but then I am also sane enough to know that house doggies are just not for every family. Blessing, Deb

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Everything Michelle said..lol she is genius.
Also maybe try the spray to attract him to wee on the piddle pad..ther are sprays to repel him from weeing in areas that you don't want him going in, sprays with enzymes to remove the urine scent, and sprays to encourage him to we where he should.. Tha is a lot of sprays..but I'd try some and see if it helps. definitely don't give him free run of the house if he is piddling evrywhere. Confine him to one room when he isn't tethered to you.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
FIRST: Get a nice big tub of udder cream. Not for your pup, for your hands =) http://www.uddercream.com/. This stuff is great. It moisturizes and protects far better than your ordinary hand lotion without any of the yucky chemicals. Moisturized hands will be much happier hands and hopefully reduce your stress.

I had similar experience with pee pad training with my little one. She was PERFECT for the first week or so and then...then the peeing everywhere started.

I decided to start all over as some others have suggested. And instead of pee pad training (which I think teaches them to go inside), I started training her to go outside. I took her out every hour and made a huge deal out of her pottying outside. If she pottied inside and I caught her, I would very sharply say "NO!" scoop her up and bring her outside. Now, she walks to the door to tell me she needs to potty, because we do the same thing every time. I also didn't let her have free run of the house. She is crate trained (you can read more abt this online) and also is never allowed more than 1 room of the house when I am gone. I am so proud of her walking to the door when she needs to go. It makes me feel like all the hard work was really worth it.

You can do it and don't give up on your little guy. He loves you and needs you!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
well ur using water...that doesnt take away the smell of the pee/poo for the dogs. they can smell it still on the floor and will continue to pee on there till you can either mask/or totally get rid of the smell using the dog sprays they have at petsmart/petco. i like the one with the green liquid, it take the spot away from the carpet. also u dont need to use ur hands to wash the floors as well i use a swiffer cleaner mop thing...its much better than going on ur hands and knees and creating more work for you :( goodluck!

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
oh yea. get candles LOL! just for the first few weeks where u are training and up until ur doggy gets used to peeing/pooing perfect or almost perfect. candles a lifesaver over here unless u like to make coffee all day :p mmm coffee

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I think I was not specific enough. Peanut does NOT get free reign of the house. I have a puppy play pen that I put up in the kitchen. Not only that, but I took up the whole thing to make it an even smaller area for him, thinking that might help, but it doesn't. He has VERY limited space to move in. The only time he's out of that thing is when we hold him. Every now and then I put the leash on him and let him run around in the kitchen, but ONLY when we're sitting right there watching his every move. He doesn't get to go all through the house.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Udder Cream. I think I've heard of that before, so I'll look for it. My hands are pitiful right now. I used to work in a garment factory years ago and my hands were never this bad.

Speaking of water, I'm NOT just using water to clean. My house smells like a dill pickle factory b/c I'm cleaning the pee messes with WHITE VINEGAR. I don't even think that's making any difference though b/c he's peeing pretty much on the same spots. I'll look for the scent remover cleaner that was suggested, too. (Thanks for the suggestion!) I also bought a bottle of Odoban, thinking that would remove the scent, but I'm beginning to think it's just a "smell good" product b/c it doesn't seem to work either (and it makes my kitchen floor slick/sticky.....I had socks on yesterday and nearly did a split walking by that area after I'd cleaned).

One of MY biggest problems right now is that I am so frustrated from having to clean up dog pee 5-7 times a day that I'm not even enjoying Peanut much anymore. And I know he's still a baby...but I think that isn't registering with me mentally :coolwink: if you know what I mean.

Has anyone used the belly bands? Do they work? I thought about getting some of those to try. Maybe if he peed on himself a couple of times he'd get the picture that he should go in the pan? I don't know.

The dirty business isn't the problem. He ALWAYS does his poopy IN the litter pan. Always. He's only done it once on the floor. So the poopy isn't the issue. I wish it were, it would be a LOT easier to clean up!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I personally don't like pee pads, for me it just tells them peeing inside is ok. I tried it with Lola and hated it. So I changed commpletely to outside training and within a week I was not cleaning up stinking pee anymore. Since then she's totally trained and won't dare pee inside.

Do you have a garden so you could train him to go outside instead?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally don't like pee pads, for me it just tells them peeing inside is ok. I tried it with Lola and hated it. So I changed commpletely to outside training and within a week I was not cleaning up stinking pee anymore. Since then she's totally trained and won't dare pee inside.

Do you have a garden so you could train him to go outside instead?
Well, I was trying to train him to the potty pad because I was under the impression it would be too cold for him outside (he only weighs 2.6 lbs....he's tiny). It's in the mid-twenties here right now and we've been having a lot of winter weather. I just thought it would be better on him to learn to go to inside in a litter pan. Mostly, I just don't want to confuse him, but he very well might enjoy going outside better.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
HI

I don't do puppy pads either.. Daisy is 1.6oz and has been going outside since i got her. I made her a jumper out of a sock and within a few days of us both shivering outside like idiots (we had snow at one point too!!) she has learnt to go v v v quickly (shes 10 weeks old btw) Have you got him a crate?? I had to block most hers off as it was too big and she was pooing in it. Keep constantly taking him outside until he gets the picture and over excite him with praise. We've had 3 mistakes in 2 weeks and she has a stomach bug so is pooing all round the clock but is still getting me outside.

Just make sure you keep taking him to the toilet..

P.s ifeel for you withyour hands mine are the same as i tend to over wash everytime i pick up a poo or she licks my hands they are DRY its disgusting.. treat yourself to a manicure to make yourself feel better.

Good luck xxx

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Thanks for making that all a clearer now ;-)

Odoban is not a good product and if you ask me it stinks to high heaven. White Vinegar is supposed to work but I have never had good luck with it and it stinks to, and yes sticky.
I use the Nature's Miracle as it doesnt have much of an odor and not sticky. You also can go to a Walmart or hunting store and get some shampoo that the hunters use on their clothing to take the scent out of them. I have tried this in the past on carpets and it has worked well but you must make sure it soaks in. If it is down into the carpet pad, sadly you will probably have to pull the carpet up:-(

Belly bands arent the greatest either as they just go on theirselves as well as the pad inside and I had to constantly clean my Chibi so he didnt smell like urine. It is a quick fix that can get costly and irritating as well (buying the pads for them).

If you want to take him outside then make sure you bundle him up like said above and use an outfit that has a larger area that he can pee through ;-)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Well, I was trying to train him to the potty pad because I was under the impression it would be too cold for him outside (he only weighs 2.6 lbs....he's tiny). It's in the mid-twenties here right now and we've been having a lot of winter weather. I just thought it would be better on him to learn to go to inside in a litter pan. Mostly, I just don't want to confuse him, but he very well might enjoy going outside better.
It's NOT too cold for a 4-5 min pee / poo session. TRUST ME. My 3 lb girl has been pottying outside in -10 degree weather some mornings on snow and is none the worse for wear. She just knows to do it quick when it's that cold! Usually she is never out for more than 1-2 minutes but when I have to stand out there with her it feels like forever! At first she would run back into the house to pee (LOL) but I started carrying her out and setting her down and not letting her back in until she pottied.

Now, at 8 months, she pottys on command. THERE IS HOPE!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much for the added advice about going outside. I just might go ahead and start doing that. It wouldn't be a big deal for me. The only issue I'll have with him going outside is that Sundays are really bad around here b/c I'm in church practically all day long. So he's alone for long periods of time on Sundays.

You've definitely given me some food for thought, and I appreciate the clarification that others with tiny Chis actually *do* take them outdoors for potty. Do you put a sweater or coat or anything like that on them?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
i have owned 7 dogs and currently have 5 and i trained them all by taking them outside and when they went potty they got a treat
they soon learned that potting outside means getting a treat
hope this helps

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used to have a toy poodle and that was exactly how I trained her, but even though she was little, she wasn't THIS little, so training to a puppy pad wasn't even in the equation with her, I automatically took her outside.

I just took Peanut outside with me to see what his reaction would be and he was scared to death. It is freezing cold out there right now, and I guess b/c he's never been outside it was like he didn't know what to do. I took him outside b/c this happened......

I gave him his mid-day feeding and he immediately went and guzzled EVERY DROP of water in his water bowl. I turned my head for about 2 minutes and when I looked back, there was a huge puddle in the floor where he had peed every bit of it out. So I put him in the carrier while I cleaned the mess up, then let him back out when I'd finished cleaning. He jumped on top of the carrier (something new he started doing a couple of days ago) and proceed to PEE ON IT!! On top of the pet carrier!!!! He's *never* done that before.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point. And I know my anger and frustration isn't helping, but it is really hard for me to remain calm when he does this all day every day. And it's beginning to get worse. :((

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Thanks so much for the added advice about going outside. I just might go ahead and start doing that. It wouldn't be a big deal for me. The only issue I'll have with him going outside is that Sundays are really bad around here b/c I'm in church practically all day long. So he's alone for long periods of time on Sundays.

You've definitely given me some food for thought, and I appreciate the clarification that others with tiny Chis actually *do* take them outdoors for potty. Do you put a sweater or coat or anything like that on them?
well it's better to only have an accident or two on saturday when you're out than every day of the week. I prefer them going outside, I don't like the smell even when I tried pads.

What I did when I decided to go from pads to outside with Lola is clean up everywhere she'd been peeing with my vax. You can rent carpet cleaners these days too. I made everything fresh. Put on scented candles, opened the windows all that lol. Then I started fresh.

Oustide she would go. As she did her pee or poo I said oh good girl in a really happy voice and took her straight back in and gave her a treat. She went from messing in the house to being trained in one week of starting that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.