Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I personally don't like pee pads, for me it just tells them peeing inside is ok. I tried it with Lola and hated it. So I changed commpletely to outside training and within a week I was not cleaning up stinking pee anymore. Since then she's totally trained and won't dare pee inside.

Do you have a garden so you could train him to go outside instead?

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Thanks so much for the added advice about going outside. I just might go ahead and start doing that. It wouldn't be a big deal for me. The only issue I'll have with him going outside is that Sundays are really bad around here b/c I'm in church practically all day long. So he's alone for long periods of time on Sundays.

You've definitely given me some food for thought, and I appreciate the clarification that others with tiny Chis actually *do* take them outdoors for potty. Do you put a sweater or coat or anything like that on them?
well it's better to only have an accident or two on saturday when you're out than every day of the week. I prefer them going outside, I don't like the smell even when I tried pads.

What I did when I decided to go from pads to outside with Lola is clean up everywhere she'd been peeing with my vax. You can rent carpet cleaners these days too. I made everything fresh. Put on scented candles, opened the windows all that lol. Then I started fresh.

Oustide she would go. As she did her pee or poo I said oh good girl in a really happy voice and took her straight back in and gave her a treat. She went from messing in the house to being trained in one week of starting that.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I used to have a toy poodle and that was exactly how I trained her, but even though she was little, she wasn't THIS little, so training to a puppy pad wasn't even in the equation with her, I automatically took her outside.

I just took Peanut outside with me to see what his reaction would be and he was scared to death. It is freezing cold out there right now, and I guess b/c he's never been outside it was like he didn't know what to do. I took him outside b/c this happened......

I gave him his mid-day feeding and he immediately went and guzzled EVERY DROP of water in his water bowl. I turned my head for about 2 minutes and when I looked back, there was a huge puddle in the floor where he had peed every bit of it out. So I put him in the carrier while I cleaned the mess up, then let him back out when I'd finished cleaning. He jumped on top of the carrier (something new he started doing a couple of days ago) and proceed to PEE ON IT!! On top of the pet carrier!!!! He's *never* done that before.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point. And I know my anger and frustration isn't helping, but it is really hard for me to remain calm when he does this all day every day. And it's beginning to get worse. :((
aww please don't get upset. keep putting him out, he'll get used to it. One of mine is 14 and he hates the cold but he still goes out. He just knows now to get it done right away and get in out the cold lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.