Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Welcome to the board! :)

First of all you need to keep in mind that he is just a baby and will have ups and downs for quite some time. It sounds like something has confused him, I am thinking you let him have free alone time run of the house to soon and in doing so he has pottied in the house and probably left his urine scent. The thing is you cannot clean this up with just soap and water. You need something to take the urine scent out, I like "Nature's Miracle" you can this at PetsMart, Petco, etc... Find all spots he has used and clean with this thoroughly then work from there and start all over again. Invest in a crate and if you leave the house keep him in his crate (a small crate with only enough room for him a bed and to turn around in). Also supervise him when you are home and he has free run, if you have to, teather him to you so he will have to go where you go and watch for signs for him needing to go potty. He is still a baby and you will have on and off relapses and he will feed off of your stress and frustration and this can make it much worse. Do not shout or punish him as this will worsen the behavior as well. If you feel you are getting frustrated or stressed then pop a breath mint or some gum in your mouth and this may help. Lots of praise when he does go potty where he is supposed, make a huge silly excited deal out of it and then give him a treat. He will eventually get it that it pleases you that he is pottying there and it will set that behavior in.

Please just be patient with the little guy as he is still at an age like a tiny human baby and just needs a little love and understanding;-) Good luck and keep us updated :)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Thanks for making that all a clearer now ;-)

Odoban is not a good product and if you ask me it stinks to high heaven. White Vinegar is supposed to work but I have never had good luck with it and it stinks to, and yes sticky.
I use the Nature's Miracle as it doesnt have much of an odor and not sticky. You also can go to a Walmart or hunting store and get some shampoo that the hunters use on their clothing to take the scent out of them. I have tried this in the past on carpets and it has worked well but you must make sure it soaks in. If it is down into the carpet pad, sadly you will probably have to pull the carpet up:-(

Belly bands arent the greatest either as they just go on theirselves as well as the pad inside and I had to constantly clean my Chibi so he didnt smell like urine. It is a quick fix that can get costly and irritating as well (buying the pads for them).

If you want to take him outside then make sure you bundle him up like said above and use an outfit that has a larger area that he can pee through ;-)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Is he drinking and urinating more than usual? If so then this may be a UTI or other medical issue. I would take him to the vet and rule that out first. It may take some time as he wasnt trained to being outside in the beginning so that is a new scary enviroment for him...ease him into it ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.