Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
FIRST: Get a nice big tub of udder cream. Not for your pup, for your hands =) http://www.uddercream.com/. This stuff is great. It moisturizes and protects far better than your ordinary hand lotion without any of the yucky chemicals. Moisturized hands will be much happier hands and hopefully reduce your stress.

I had similar experience with pee pad training with my little one. She was PERFECT for the first week or so and then...then the peeing everywhere started.

I decided to start all over as some others have suggested. And instead of pee pad training (which I think teaches them to go inside), I started training her to go outside. I took her out every hour and made a huge deal out of her pottying outside. If she pottied inside and I caught her, I would very sharply say "NO!" scoop her up and bring her outside. Now, she walks to the door to tell me she needs to potty, because we do the same thing every time. I also didn't let her have free run of the house. She is crate trained (you can read more abt this online) and also is never allowed more than 1 room of the house when I am gone. I am so proud of her walking to the door when she needs to go. It makes me feel like all the hard work was really worth it.

You can do it and don't give up on your little guy. He loves you and needs you!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Well, I was trying to train him to the potty pad because I was under the impression it would be too cold for him outside (he only weighs 2.6 lbs....he's tiny). It's in the mid-twenties here right now and we've been having a lot of winter weather. I just thought it would be better on him to learn to go to inside in a litter pan. Mostly, I just don't want to confuse him, but he very well might enjoy going outside better.
It's NOT too cold for a 4-5 min pee / poo session. TRUST ME. My 3 lb girl has been pottying outside in -10 degree weather some mornings on snow and is none the worse for wear. She just knows to do it quick when it's that cold! Usually she is never out for more than 1-2 minutes but when I have to stand out there with her it feels like forever! At first she would run back into the house to pee (LOL) but I started carrying her out and setting her down and not letting her back in until she pottied.

Now, at 8 months, she pottys on command. THERE IS HOPE!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.