Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a horrible time with potty training our little Peanut. He's not quite 4 months old yet, and the first week or so we had him, he did PERFECT with the puppy pad....NO accidents at all. Then we had to leave him overnight b/c we had to take my husband back to the airport after his leave (he's in the military). Ever since then things have gone downhill.

I'm constantly cleaning up dog pee. My hands are raw from being in water so much the last 2 weeks. It's not a question of whether or not he knows how to use the pee pad. He knows. He just refuses. Most times, he'll pee a huge puddle on the floor, then when he sees me coming, he jumps into the litter pan and pees a tinkle or two on the pee pad. He knows.

I've cleaned up pee so much that I'm becoming angry and frustrated. :foxes15: I flew off the handle a little bit earlier b/c he peed in the floor again, after I had scrubbed the kitchen down earlier (b/c it smelled like dog in there...and I can't stand a house that smells like dog...sorry.).

I am VERY frustrated right now and it's getting to the point that I don't even want to hold Peanut much any more or play with him b/c I'm so mad all the time from cleaning up his pee messes.

Does anybody have any sage potty training wisdom for me? Please?? I feel like I'm about to lose it over here and I know my tension is not helping this problem any, but I honestly don't know what to do anymore. :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I think I was not specific enough. Peanut does NOT get free reign of the house. I have a puppy play pen that I put up in the kitchen. Not only that, but I took up the whole thing to make it an even smaller area for him, thinking that might help, but it doesn't. He has VERY limited space to move in. The only time he's out of that thing is when we hold him. Every now and then I put the leash on him and let him run around in the kitchen, but ONLY when we're sitting right there watching his every move. He doesn't get to go all through the house.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Udder Cream. I think I've heard of that before, so I'll look for it. My hands are pitiful right now. I used to work in a garment factory years ago and my hands were never this bad.

Speaking of water, I'm NOT just using water to clean. My house smells like a dill pickle factory b/c I'm cleaning the pee messes with WHITE VINEGAR. I don't even think that's making any difference though b/c he's peeing pretty much on the same spots. I'll look for the scent remover cleaner that was suggested, too. (Thanks for the suggestion!) I also bought a bottle of Odoban, thinking that would remove the scent, but I'm beginning to think it's just a "smell good" product b/c it doesn't seem to work either (and it makes my kitchen floor slick/sticky.....I had socks on yesterday and nearly did a split walking by that area after I'd cleaned).

One of MY biggest problems right now is that I am so frustrated from having to clean up dog pee 5-7 times a day that I'm not even enjoying Peanut much anymore. And I know he's still a baby...but I think that isn't registering with me mentally :coolwink: if you know what I mean.

Has anyone used the belly bands? Do they work? I thought about getting some of those to try. Maybe if he peed on himself a couple of times he'd get the picture that he should go in the pan? I don't know.

The dirty business isn't the problem. He ALWAYS does his poopy IN the litter pan. Always. He's only done it once on the floor. So the poopy isn't the issue. I wish it were, it would be a LOT easier to clean up!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally don't like pee pads, for me it just tells them peeing inside is ok. I tried it with Lola and hated it. So I changed commpletely to outside training and within a week I was not cleaning up stinking pee anymore. Since then she's totally trained and won't dare pee inside.

Do you have a garden so you could train him to go outside instead?
Well, I was trying to train him to the potty pad because I was under the impression it would be too cold for him outside (he only weighs 2.6 lbs....he's tiny). It's in the mid-twenties here right now and we've been having a lot of winter weather. I just thought it would be better on him to learn to go to inside in a litter pan. Mostly, I just don't want to confuse him, but he very well might enjoy going outside better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much for the added advice about going outside. I just might go ahead and start doing that. It wouldn't be a big deal for me. The only issue I'll have with him going outside is that Sundays are really bad around here b/c I'm in church practically all day long. So he's alone for long periods of time on Sundays.

You've definitely given me some food for thought, and I appreciate the clarification that others with tiny Chis actually *do* take them outdoors for potty. Do you put a sweater or coat or anything like that on them?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I used to have a toy poodle and that was exactly how I trained her, but even though she was little, she wasn't THIS little, so training to a puppy pad wasn't even in the equation with her, I automatically took her outside.

I just took Peanut outside with me to see what his reaction would be and he was scared to death. It is freezing cold out there right now, and I guess b/c he's never been outside it was like he didn't know what to do. I took him outside b/c this happened......

I gave him his mid-day feeding and he immediately went and guzzled EVERY DROP of water in his water bowl. I turned my head for about 2 minutes and when I looked back, there was a huge puddle in the floor where he had peed every bit of it out. So I put him in the carrier while I cleaned the mess up, then let him back out when I'd finished cleaning. He jumped on top of the carrier (something new he started doing a couple of days ago) and proceed to PEE ON IT!! On top of the pet carrier!!!! He's *never* done that before.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point. And I know my anger and frustration isn't helping, but it is really hard for me to remain calm when he does this all day every day. And it's beginning to get worse. :((

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
He seems to drink a lot. I know he drinks more than he eats. If I would sit a bowl full of water before him, I'm sure he would stand there and drink it all at once.

We had a better today, until this evening. He's peed on the floor 2 times in about an hour or so. But still, that's better than it's been. If I don't sit right on top of him, he just seems to not want to pee on the puppy pad, but he'll poop on it. I don't get that at all. Oh well. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.