Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-rolls on floor giggling-
My dog. She's so stupid sometimes. I'm sorry, but.......-giggles some more-
*Ahem*
-clears throat*
Let me try this again.

Lacey has separation anxiety issues, and well, I've tried everything to fix it. I've done the whole 'desensitizing process', calming drops, Rescue Remedy, and a Thundershirt. I also tried a Bark-Off bark control thingy (to which she promptly grew LOUDER in response).
Out of further options, I bought a Sonic Egg bark control device from Petsmart and set it on low a couple feet away from her "jail cell" (her gated-off area) in the kitchen. I shut the door to my room so she could no longer hear/see me, and pretended to go outside. About 10 minutes later, she started her dying cat whining/growl/howl. She LITERALLY sounds like someone is murdering a cat. Midway through a grrrrrrAAAAAAAwwwwwwAAAAwwwwwwwww her voice cracked. I assume the ultrasonic sound hit her ears at that point. Now, instead of her sounding like a dying kitty 100% nonstop, she's been cut down to
Mrrrrrrrrrrrrowwow--- every few minutes and she isn't as loud as she normally is. Obviously the Sonic Egg isn't doing its job too well, but so far, it's still an improvement. Instead of sounding like a cat being murdered, she just sounds like one being beaten. :rolleyes: Oh, and now she's resorted to whining a high-pitched whine instead because the device doesn't pick up on it.
I suspect she'll revert back to the loud dying cat noise soon. She just doesn't seem to care about the sonic sounds after a while. -sigh-

Apartments are no good for whiney bratty chihuahuas. :foxes15:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Ah yes just wait Bijoux once screamed so loud the neighbours nearly beat down my down trying the 'save' her. o.0

She THANK GOD stopped whining because she was allowed to be out with my ex's Golden retriever, and now that we've moved out has shifted toi my grandmothers cat haha

She does exactly what you were saying with Lacey though, she whines..and whines and if you ignore her gets louder and louder and if she really gets fed up with you ignoring her she sends you running with the WTF come get me NOW!! scream, which does work because I'm not taking the risk that she actually isn't lying to me ha ha

I think it's a Merle thing I swear Bijoux and Lacey could be sisters they act so much alike. Be happy I'm suffering with you lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes just wait Bijoux once screamed so loud the neighbours nearly beat down my down trying the 'save' her. o.0

She THANK GOD stopped whining because she was allowed to be out with my ex's Golden retriever, and now that we've moved out has shifted toi my grandmothers cat haha

She does exactly what you were saying with Lacey though, she whines..and whines and if you ignore her gets louder and louder and if she really gets fed up with you ignoring her she sends you running with the WTF come get me NOW!! scream, which does work because I'm not taking the risk that she actually isn't lying to me ha ha

I think it's a Merle thing I swear Bijoux and Lacey could be sisters they act so much alike. Be happy I'm suffering with you lol
I'm glad I'm not in this sinking ship alone! The water is so threatening and I fear I cannot swim! :foxes15:
Whine whine whine. MrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrOW. Says Lacey from the kitchen.
Oh, but the websites and the books, and the dog trainers say, "Just ignore her and she'll stop." Oh. Really?
Hey Lacey! If I be quiet, what will you do?
"HOWL LIKE THERE IS AN AXE MURDERER IN THE ROOM AND I MUST SCARE HIM OFF!"
Great. Thanks, Lacey. I'm sure my landlord really likes listening to you while he has clients in his office on the other side of the door. Yes, thank you. I'm sure my neighbors like the 'natural soundtrack' you provide while I am in class and at work.
I need to record this sound for people on the board who can't picture it. It's something you really must witness. It doesn't sound anything like something that should come out of a dog. She also makes it without opening or moving her mouth.
Think 'cow' and 'really angry dying cat' and make it ten times worse.

·
Registered
786 Posts
This post made me LOL! I swear the only thing that got Ote to stop doing that was getting another dog. Now she has a buddy to occupy herself with and no longer feels like I've abandoned her for all of eternity (or until I'm back from the grocery store....hahaha)

·
Registered
655 Posts
My toy poodle that we had used to howl non-stop when we went out, so our upstairs
neighbour would phone the answering machine and leave a soothing message and sometimes it actually worked! She used to howl when she heard singing or violins too,
very embarrassing for a piano teacher!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This post made me LOL! I swear the only thing that got Ote to stop doing that was getting another dog. Now she has a buddy to occupy herself with and no longer feels like I've abandoned her for all of eternity (or until I'm back from the grocery store....hahaha)
I think the only way I'll solve Lacey's howling is to get another chihuahua. She lived with a bunch of other dogs for the first 2 years of her life in the breeder's home, and I think the shock of being without her friends is very confusing for her. She's so reliant on me for entertainment (not that she does anything but sleep), that she thinks the world is going to explode when I'm not in her sight.
I'd love to go snag one of her breeder's current puppies, and I would, as I actually have enough money for one. However, it's very difficult finding an apartment around here that allows even one dog, never mind two dogs and my two ferrets. We will be needing to move in the 6 months or so (unless my boyfriend decides to move in and split my rent).

I was hoping leaving her with the television on or the radio would help, but neither did. It's hopeless for the next few years I think, until I can settled into a more permanent apartment/house and have another dog. :(

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My toy poodle that we had used to howl non-stop when we went out, so our upstairs
neighbour would phone the answering machine and leave a soothing message and sometimes it actually worked! She used to howl when she heard singing or violins too,
very embarrassing for a piano teacher!
I wonder if I made a recording of me talking to her on my computer and put it on loop while I was away if I could trick her into thinking I was here? Haha

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
LOL I'm in the same boat. I only put Daisy in her crate when we leave the house, but she sounds like I'm abusing her screaming and whinning and oh the evil mommy I am being. I might have to convience Cuddles to sit by the cage till we get back. But she does this if I leave the room and dont take her with me. My husband is like I didnt know we had another child that looks like a hamster, is there something you need to tell me, lol. (my husband likes joking)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
-rolls on floor giggling-
My dog. She's so stupid sometimes. I'm sorry, but.......-giggles some more-
*Ahem*
-clears throat*
Let me try this again.

Lacey has separation anxiety issues, and well, I've tried everything to fix it. I've done the whole 'desensitizing process', calming drops, Rescue Remedy, and a Thundershirt. I also tried a Bark-Off bark control thingy (to which she promptly grew LOUDER in response).
Out of further options, I bought a Sonic Egg bark control device from Petsmart and set it on low a couple feet away from her "jail cell" (her gated-off area) in the kitchen. I shut the door to my room so she could no longer hear/see me, and pretended to go outside. About 10 minutes later, she started her dying cat whining/growl/howl. She LITERALLY sounds like someone is murdering a cat. Midway through a grrrrrrAAAAAAAwwwwwwAAAAwwwwwwwww her voice cracked. I assume the ultrasonic sound hit her ears at that point. Now, instead of her sounding like a dying kitty 100% nonstop, she's been cut down to
Mrrrrrrrrrrrrowwow--- every few minutes and she isn't as loud as she normally is. Obviously the Sonic Egg isn't doing its job too well, but so far, it's still an improvement. Instead of sounding like a cat being murdered, she just sounds like one being beaten. :rolleyes: Oh, and now she's resorted to whining a high-pitched whine instead because the device doesn't pick up on it.
I suspect she'll revert back to the loud dying cat noise soon. She just doesn't seem to care about the sonic sounds after a while. -sigh-

Apartments are no good for whiney bratty chihuahuas. :foxes15:
:foxes251:
OMG!!! I know all too well the type of noise you are referring to. Hotchi does it when i leave and he is in his crate. They are past the stage of needing a crate but i had put them in there while i fed them their chicken wings. I stepped out to the store once they where finished but left them in the crates so their food could settle before letting them out. When i pulled back into my drive way my neighbors where walking around my house try to look thru my windows. The guy across the street had his son on my roof looking for an open window to climb thru. As i opened the car door i heard a noise that i can only describe as a hyena or a chimp in labor. It was real high pitched with a drawn out gurgling noise at the end. I was so scared i couldn't get my keys together so i could unlock the door. When i got to the kitchen Hotchi was looking straight up at the ceiling making this awful noise. That will be the last time i leave them in a crate when i leave. I had hald my block in the front yard!! :laughing3:

·
Registered
688 Posts
we used to have a dog that did that over and over and over, we tryed it all " and i do mean all", it sux to say this buut after years and years of trying it all, NOTHING ever worked. lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Sonic Egg is working like magic tonight. I'm putting it to the ultimate test. We're at my parents' house, where she always howls 24/7. She was howling and howling, and I put the device on. She did half a howl, sounded startled, tried howling again, and stopped. She hasn't made a peep since, and it's been a couple hours! :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you set it on high this time? My sister bought one and she kept in on low and it didn't work at all until she put it on tbe high setting. Now they dont howl at all at night.
Nope! It's still on low. She tried to howl a half hour ago and her sound cut out mid-yodel. Nothing since. I'm very impressed and very much enjoying the peace.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Glad it seems to be working!

By the way, you know Mimi is bad with anxiety as well. Having Jax
was not a solution to her issues. On some levels he helps but
overall she hasn't improved by having company.

Sometimes I swear Jax is hiding his head under the covers when
she starts yelping. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.