Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like Gemma may just be trained to potty in the two spots where her pads have always been and not actually to potty on pads placed anywhere. My reasoning for this is because when we take her to other people's houses and I put a pad down, she never uses it. I have to keep taking her outside and hope she'll go or she'll go in their house. Secondly, I just picked up a dirty pad from the spot it's always in in our bedroom, and as soon as I picked it up and walked away to get a new one to replace it, Gemma ran over and peed in the spot on the floor where the pad was. This is the first time that has ever happened because usually there's not time for her to do that before I put a new pad down.

I am wondering if I should start moving her potty pads around to see if she'll use them in a different location or if she's just trained herself to the two spots where they are in the apartment. :confused: I want her to understand how to use the pads, not how to potty in two corners of the apartment. Anyone with any experience or suggestions?

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
We had this problem with Odie as well, except when we visit other people's houses she is 100% trained to go outside only (go figure). I remember your pee pads being on hard wood, not carpet, right? If you're using a good enzyme cleaner, smell shouldn't be the problem. I think it's honestly just a case of habit.

When we moved to our condo, Odie had an accident on the carpet of our stairs. This was when she was little, and we just decided to put a pee pad there after that. Eventually she started to want to pee closer and closer to the edge of the pad and we realized carpet was probably not a great choice so we moved her spot to our laundry room which has linoleum. We had to block off our stairs, because she wanted to keep going back to her original spot.

Now she's a year and a half old, and doesn't have accidents. However, the other day she was upstairs with me (which she often is if I'm up there) and she peed on the carpet at her original spot! I couldn't believe it. I used to different kinds of pet cleaners there, including the kind that you scrub in and vacuum. I have a feeling that it might just be habit. I wasn't able to correct her because I didn't see her do it unfortunately, but it hasn't happened since then.

Gemma is a smart cookie, and she may just still be getting used to the idea of a pee pad vs. the floor. I know that some pee pads have a scent added to them, and maybe that's lingering on the floor?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had this problem with Odie as well, except when we visit other people's houses she is 100% trained to go outside only (go figure). I remember your pee pads being on hard wood, not carpet, right? If you're using a good enzyme cleaner, smell shouldn't be the problem. I think it's honestly just a case of habit.

When we moved to our condo, Odie had an accident on the carpet of our stairs. This was when she was little, and we just decided to put a pee pad there after that. Eventually she started to want to pee closer and closer to the edge of the pad and we realized carpet was probably not a great choice so we moved her spot to our laundry room which has linoleum. We had to block off our stairs, because she wanted to keep going back to her original spot.

Now she's a year and a half old, and doesn't have accidents. However, the other day she was upstairs with me (which she often is if I'm up there) and she peed on the carpet at her original spot! I couldn't believe it. I used to different kinds of pet cleaners there, including the kind that you scrub in and vacuum. I have a feeling that it might just be habit. I wasn't able to correct her because I didn't see her do it unfortunately, but it hasn't happened since then.

Gemma is a smart cookie, and she may just still be getting used to the idea of a pee pad vs. the floor. I know that some pee pads have a scent added to them, and maybe that's lingering on the floor?
Thank you for sharing your experience with this!

Yeah, Gemma usually will only go outside when we are at a friend's house. She goes outside here as well when we go on walks and run around in the yard behind the apartment. She likes to go outside when there's other dog scents on the ground.

Our floors are wood, yes. I do use an enzymatic cleaner whenever she has an accident, so I doubt anything is being left behind. But maybe the scent from the pads is still on the floor when I pick them up. Every few days I wipe down the floor where the pad is just to make sure I clean up anything that might have leaked so it doesn't set in the floor. The pads are scented so perhaps they are leaving something behind.

However, it doesn't solve the issue of being at a friend's house and her not understanding where to potty. I have to watch her like a hawk like it's the first time we brought her home to make sure she doesn't run off and potty somewhere. She never uses her pads when I KNOW she has to go because she'll be holding it for 4 or 5 hours sometimes. I take her outside and tell her to go potty but she really only seems to go if she smells another scent in the grass. Most often, she just holds it the whole time we're away from home and bolts to her pad as soon as we get home and does a very long, huge pee. Silly girl! I just wish she would understand that she is supposed to use the pads no matter where we are. My family Chi in the US understands how to use her pads wherever she is and I haven't done anything differently with Gemma's training. I guess every dog is different.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Magic pee words. I started to use the "magic" words from day one when guiding her to the pad. It has worked and I found that out this weekend when we went to my mother's house. I put the pad down and said "pee pee pee pee pee pee here" (in Greek) just like I do at home and I put her on it.

She actually did go on it after a few hours. Walked right over and peed on in in front of everyone. Everyone clapped and cheered...very proud puppy moment. Of course, she might not do that next time!

Whenever she has an accident at home I say "not there pee pee...!!" I take her to her the pad and say the magic "pee here" many times. She does have accidents but 2 or 3 per week now and I think it is when she is too lazy but mostly she goes to the pads. She will go on a pad I have in the bathroom or one I have in the living room. Those are her usuall spots. I taught her the magic words first so she knew what she was doing on the pad. Thats what helped me.

It is what worked for us.. it doesnt mean it is the "correct" way..though. I am sure your girl will get it..eventually I think she will even be telling you when she needs to go out.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Magic pee words. I started to use the "magic" words from day one when guiding her to the pad. It has worked and I found that out this weekend when we went to my mother's house. I put the pad down and said "pee pee pee pee pee pee here" (in Greek) just like I do at home and I put her on it.

She actually did go on it after a few hours. Walked right over and peed on in in front of everyone. Everyone clapped and cheered...very proud puppy moment. Of course, she might not do that next time!

Whenever she has an accident at home I say "not there pee pee...!!" I take her to her the pad and say the magic "pee here" many times. She does have accidents but 2 or 3 per week now and I think it is when she is too lazy but mostly she goes to the pads. She will go on a pad I have in the bathroom or one I have in the living room. Those are her usuall spots. I taught her the magic words first so she knew what she was doing on the pad. Thats what helped me.

It is what worked for us.. it doesnt mean it is the "correct" way..though. I am sure your girl will get it..eventually I think she will even be telling you when she needs to go out.
I have always told Gemma to "go potty" since the start of her training. When she walks over to her pad, I tell her "go potty," then as she is pottying I say "go potty" once more, then when she finishes I say "good girl, potty on the paper!" I do this every day. I tell her the same thing outside but replace "on the paper" with "outside." She usually gets a piece of food every time she goes potty in the right place. She knows she's going to get it too because she waits for it after, lol. But for some reason when I try giving her the potty command when we are away from home, she just completely ignores me. I don't understand. Maybe she's too overwhelmed with the new surroundings and such? I just really hope that over time, she actually understands that her pad is the potty spot no matter where it is or where we are.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
She will get it. It could be what you said, new surroundings. Pee pad vibes for the next time you are not at home. :grommit:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Mylo mostly goes on the pee pads or his little rascal dog tray but sometimes doesn't, not often now. I started off taking him to those areas when he gets up, after a nap, after playing and after eating and reward him. Most of the time he goes there by himself. I've moved the pee pad slightly and it didn't bother him. He still went to it by himself. We have problems with poops...he doesn't go on the pad more often than not bit when we do I get down on his level and praise loads. He loves my face being near him on the floor and gets so excited. Then I give him a treat. I hope this will work eventually but we've only had him 3 weeks. He expects treats when he pees, he comes over for them and sits quietly in front of me (I make him sit for any treats he gets that aren't for training with something else so though I don't ask him to sit for these treats he still does it most of the time). He often looks over before he pees to check I'm watching. Maybe try taking her to the pad at intervals and she might get the idea? When I take him to my sister's he's less consistent with going on the pad but he does still do it. I think consistency and patients is the key. If you're worried about when you go to friends' I'd try moving the pads around. You may end up with more accidents initially but it should mean less at your friends' houses. Interestingly, if I put Mylo on a potty pad he won't stay there and go. Not once. But if I put him on his litter tray he always always pees as soon as I put him down.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I tried moving Amberleah lou lou pads to new areas , I didn't want by door anymore. She will not use them any place else. I did not put pad down hoping she go to new area and nope she peed on floor where pad was. so I guess I am stuck with it there.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Caitlin I like those trays you put the wee wee pads inside of. If you are just putting them straight down on the floor,the smell might come through. Remember pets can smell things when we may not. I mix equal amount of vinegar to equal amount of water and put it in a spray bottle. It's inexpensive and works great. The vinegar smell only last a few minutes,but it kills the pee smell. Those trays are wonderful though and they are only like 14.99 at Walmart.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Rocky has the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. At 6 months, 1 week old he associates "potty" with the location of the pads rather than the pads themselves. It is a problem when we travel or if and when my family moves. They are going to have to retrain him, I guess. I am going to look at all the responses here for advice- I hope there's help out there, LOL.

I am not used to that. Toby will pee on any pad anywhere. Only the pad, wherever it is. I could move the pad every day and he would know. He is 9 months old, though, he has been that way for 3ish months, since he was fully potty trained.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hi Caitlin, i'm very sure Gemma will get it! Honey's been trained to pads since i got her - like Gemma, she had very few accidents and things were great. I thought yay, she's fully trained! Buuuuut, then i took her to my friends house, dotted a couple of pads in the room, and where did she go? Ermm not on the pad! Eek. So she obviously was just used to going in the same spot at home.
So i had to rethink really - i did start moving the pads at home, not by much, maybe a few inches every day. After a month, the pads were in a different place than they used to be and she was consistently going on them in their new place.
I took her out to my friends again, put the pad down, told her to go wee wee and she did :)
She has since stayed at my mom's for the weekend and had no accidents - went on the pads every time :) So it will work, just takes time! x

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Chloe doesn't have this problem, so I'm just guessing. We use a tray and I feel like it is much cleaner, and way less confusing since there is a clear boarder for where she is supposed to potty. I think that would help. Also, when you get to a new place and put a pad down do you put her on the pad and say go potty? We do that whenever Chloe goes somewhere new, so that she knows where her pad is. It may be that she can't find the pad when she has to go because she doesn't remember where you put it. So, she just goes where she can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts