Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Axle has learned the sit command. I was in the kitchen today and looked over the bar at him and said "sit" and he did it. I was so excited I went and loved all over him. I did it a few more times and gave him some cheese as a reward. Now I need to teach him something new. What do you recommend next? Shake, up, I thought about come but he usually does cause he thinks I'm gonna play with him.

Also, when you add something new do you start by going over what he knows already or start with the new trick and just put the old tricks in every once in awhile?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I worked with 1 command for about 1 to 2 weeks before I added something new... stay was the next.. sit pretty came after that.. and then it was dance but he (I think) learned that one on his own..

his last one was lay down...

I posted a whole list of things he can do in another thread...

he does quite a bit of different things..

now we are working with him on his walking with his harness and leash...

I have gotten him to like his harness and I just slip it on him with no problems..

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Remember that puppies have little to no attention span when it comes to obedience...just work on a command a couple times and then end it for a couple hours and always end the practice on a good note! Never end it when they didnt do the command...you will be able to tell when your pup is getting tired of learning.

I taught my pups sit, then come, then stay, then down, then I had fun and did 'shake', 'go to bed', 'and 'dance'

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how did you teach stay? I may work on that one next, later on this week.

We only work for 10-15 mins. a night. Occasionally, I will see if he remembers in the afternoon, but usually it's just a few minutes every night.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
what I did for stay is. I laid on the bed and he was sitting on my chest(his favorite place) and we were eating popcorn(his favorite bedtime snack) and everytime I told him to sit and hten I gave him a piece of popcorn the i would tell him to stay... I started counting first to see how long he would stay... which was only a couple secs. then i would tell him to stay and count to five. if he made it he got another piece of popcorn and if he didn't I would tell him to stay again.. then I would count.. after a few times of ding that he got it and stayed til the count of 5 and I would give him a piece of popcorn... I did that every night for about 4 nights then I would count until 10 that is wahat he is up to now... I will soon start counting til 20 and then 30 adn as he gets older I will count until 5 mins... I want him to beable to stay for 5 minutes.. because that is a good minute time and post of the time that is how long it takes to get everything in your hands nad out the door and the door locked... maybe not all the time but if you can get him to stay for five minutes then you knowyou are safe to lock or unlock your door or what ever you are doing at the time...

he proabably won't be to 5 minutes for a long time yet...

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I've been working with Jasmine on "come" and "sit" - but obviously after she dashed out the door Sunday and wouldn't come back and we ended up chasing her all the way down the block in the middle of the street - well, you can tell we still have a lot of work to do!! :lol:

We usually work no more than 15 minutes at a time, which is what my vet recommended. My oldest granddaughter is going to start helping me. She is absolutely wonderful working with animals - I don't know how she does it really, but don't think I've ever seen anyone with the natural ability she seems to have. And Jasmine is just so stubborn :!:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.