Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little history. I've been running Midgie back & forth to the vet every two to three weeks because of excessive scratching. Last month the vet said she had some congestion in her lungs, but that's from the allergies. The next time I ran her to the vet, she said she had some bronchitis with congestion all the while not giving me any antibiotics or anything. Wednesday evening we were sitting in the backyard watching my kids playing when I was rubbing around Midgies neck, I felt the glands in her neck were swollen (huge). At first I thought it was just on one side where the vet drew blood for her allergy panel, but it was on both sides. We all have sore throats, runny noses & sometimes sinus headaches. I called the vet & asked for antibiotics thinking she might have a sore throat & her immune system has been compromised from the allergies. They gave me Amoxicillian. Gave her the first dose (.75ml) yesterday when we got home from the vet & 2nd dose after supper. After the second dose last night she started acting like she felt bad. Had a funny coarse-type cough. Gave her 1st dose this morning after breakfast; everything seemed fine. Gave 2nd dose tonite after supper. Started acting like she doesn't feel too good; almost threw up in my lap--got her outside in time & she vomited a little bit of THK. She seems o.k. now, but I don't think I should give her any more Amoxicillian?! What do you think? With so much going on with her, I'm not sure of anything any more. UGHHHHHH So so long!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
It could just be the sore throat, that is how Zoey acts when she has a sore throat, it takes a day or 2 for the amoxi to get into their systems. Usually allergic reactions to drugs in dogs are hives/swelling etc, but they can make them vomit or have diarrhea. Zoey has been throwing up with her sore throat though. That is what she's on although we're giving tablets 1/2 of a 50mg twice a day.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could just be the sore throat, that is how Zoey acts when she has a sore throat, it takes a day or 2 for the amoxi to get into their systems. Usually allergic reactions to drugs in dogs are hives/swelling etc, but they can make them vomit or have diarrhea. Zoey has been throwing up with her sore throat though. That is what she's on although we're giving tablets 1/2 of a 50mg twice a day.
Thank You! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear, because as of last night I didn't plan on giving her anymore. I thought it may not be a reaction because I don't see no hives & her gums look good in color. I probably will just give her the morning dose & skip the afternoon dose. I think it might be too much for her. She gets the pink liquid. How is Zoey doing? It's hard for me to know if Midgie has a sore throat other than the swollen glands & hearing her sometimes doing a lot of swallowing.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear, because as of last night I didn't plan on giving her anymore. I thought it may not be a reaction because I don't see no hives & her gums look good in color. I probably will just give her the morning dose & skip the afternoon dose. I think it might be too much for her. She gets the pink liquid. How is Zoey doing? It's hard for me to know if Midgie has a sore throat other than the swollen glands & hearing her sometimes doing a lot of swallowing.
You were right cprcheetah! I don't know why she really threw up last night. But I've continued to give her the Amoxicillan & so far so good. Just wanted to thank you again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts