Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a feeling that my newest pooch was abused or treated bad before i got her, She seems scared and skittish about alot of things. The first couple of days i thought well maybe she just needs 2 get used 2 us. And she has, but every now and then lil things scare her, like when we pick her up sometimes i have learned that we have to do it slow or she freaks out, some noises scare her 2, and is very skittish about walkin into rooms like to pass through a door. She is only 7-8 weeks old, but i also felt that the lady lied about her age and about her not being mixed, when i first met her she seemed scared and curled up to my neck and i just felt like " i need to take her home with me", i knew these people were backyard breeders when i met them as they did not want me to meet the parents or meet at their house, they sugested walmart instead. Then they showed me pics of 2 chihuahuas that looked nothing like her or even looked like the momma had even had pups ever, no milk bags nothing. So now i have her and it just upsets me that this pup has been through this i just know something has scared her and know she has been though things. Aside from all that her health is great, has been to the vet and shes doing good. The only thing that comferts her is being in bed with me :) so maybe that will make it better for her. Maybe im just being a paranoid mommy.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
When i worked at National K9, i had a man bring in a litter of Rottie pup for evaluations and beginner training. He had gotten them from an abandoned house and was fostering them. He said that the "squaters" that where in the house use to hit and kick the cage when ever the would whine or make noise. Maybe this is what has been done to her?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
could be, cause she seems like shes scared all the time. Im puppy pad training her and she learns quick but its like once she goes shes scared to get off the pad, or if i open a door shes scared to go through it even if i say come on baby and baby talk her, she will stand there wagging her tail and whinning but wont come 2 me :(, i know it's gunna be a challange 2 get her 2 trust me completely, but i wont give up on her!

When i worked at National K9, i had a man bring in a litter of Rottie pup for evaluations and beginner training. He had gotten them from an abandoned house and was fostering them. He said that the "squaters" that where in the house use to hit and kick the cage when ever the would whine or make noise. Maybe this is what has been done to her?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I got mine from a really nice breeder, (least all her other dogs seem socialized) but she has always been a bit skittish. Never quite figured out why.
Meeting the breeders at Walmart seems a little suspicious though, especially if their house was closeby.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I know what you mean Rico was the shyest pup at the breeder's house. All of the other were so friendly and outgoing...the breeder is lovely. There are no mistreated animals there. Rico always seemed shy and he is still not very eet strangers..not a fan of dog park either..lol. He will tolerate any little kid poking at him however...so I can't complain but sometimes it is just the pup...

I got mine from a really nice breeder, (least all her other dogs seem socialized) but she has always been a bit skittish. Never quite figured out why.
Meeting the breeders at Walmart seems a little suspicious though, especially if their house was closeby.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I got Pepper at 6 weeks old so I know he's been treated well and hes been socialized the same as all my dogs but he is the most timid thing in the world. He was bold and outgoing as a young pup, but as he matured, he changed and became afraid of things. Sometimes it's just the dogs nature to be shy and skittish.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It's quite possible that even if not abused directly; lack of socializing in those early crucial weeks can make all the difference in how a dog handles new situations. If a chi simply hadn't been exposed to those things; they are very frightened of them; even if they never experienced any trauma from it. Your vet should be able to determine her age by her teeth and how they're developed! If she is at least still young, the younger the better for hopes of helping her acclimate. I would get her used to leash-walking, lots of patience; but when a dog is confident on a leash I've found it's kind of a 'safety blanket' to have the harness on, so you can do things with them they otherwise would be frightened of. Take her out and expose her to lots of different things, making sure each experience is a positive one, and never 'push' her farther than she's comfortable. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts