Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE:I think Odie has an ear infection

He has had this once before and how I noticed it is his ear looked oily and dirty. The vet said he had infection,

So my question is do you think it will be ok to use it for the 7 days like before without taking him in to see the vet first.
I suppose I could start using tonight and just call vet in the am to see if I should continue or bring him in.the med is Canaural

Thanks, Cindy

UPDATE:

Odie has been to the vet an he does have an ear infection and I did the right thing for him at home and I have got right on top of it....no new meds required as I have some here.

I am so happy Odie weighed in at 4.8 pounds today and I was told he has perfect body condition YaY ! however due to his Legg Perth disease they do not want him to weigh anymore than he is right now so I will be weighing him every month at the vet.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
That is what I did, although between 2 dogs.

One had the same symptoms as the other once had and I had the ear wash and the drops.

I washed out her ear and put in the drops.

Called the vet the next morning and tech said I could bring her in but Dr. told her to tell me to do what I had already told her I had done.

I took her in, he looked and said she did have it but did not charge me because he said I diagnosed her myself. Cost me nothing because I had the wash and drops already.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I did, although between 2 dogs.

One had the same symptoms as the other once had and I had the ear wash and the drops.

I washed out her ear and put in the drops.

Called the vet the next morning and tech said I could bring her in but Dr. told her to tell me to do what I had already told her I had done.

I took her in, he looked and said she did have it but did not charge me because he said I diagnosed her myself. Cost me nothing because I had the wash and drops already.
Thanks Karen for answering my question. I am gonna go ahead and treat him tonight and I will call in the morning to see if I need to bring him in

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Keep us updated on how he does. I hope it clears up soon. Those ear infections
sure can get annoying. They can also get out of hand really quick, so I'm glad
you are treating him and contacting your vet. Big kiss to Odie.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep us updated on how he does. I hope it clears up soon. Those ear infections
sure can get annoying. They can also get out of hand really quick, so I'm glad
you are treating him and contacting your vet. Big kiss to Odie.
Thanks LS
I hope it clears up fast. He is not head shaking or scratching so maybe I caught it early.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
What does it look like inside his ear? Same as last time, oily & dirty?
If so, what color is the dirt? Could it be mites you think?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought he had mites the first time about a year ago and nope. It just looks dirty and oily,,,just one ear
The dirt is dark but not grainy,like waxy

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Could be just dirt, my boys get that once in a while after playing and digging outside.
I have to check their ears daily and wipe them just to make sure the dirt does not
block the pores or cause any kind of trouble...boys will be boys! :rolleyes:

Hope Odie's ear clears up asap. Sounds like you caught it quickly.

Thank goodness it's not mites, I hate those with a passion, such a pain they are!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts