Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I trained my older dog by setting an alarm and taking her outside once an hour for the first few days. Yes, even during the night! When she would not go, I would reset the alarm for 15 minutes, then try again. When she would go I would reset the alarm for another hour or so, and the process would start all over again. Make a big production and give her "Scooby Snacks" when she goes, that might also help. It was only about 2 weeks or so and Jewels was pretty good about going outside, however, after 6 years, we still have accidents. As far as cage training, that helps. Key is to grab them and put them out immediately. Emmie did this to me the other day! She ran out of her cage and right to the carpet! I would train Emmie this way, but I work four 12 hour nights and just cannot take her out every hour or so. We have bought puppy training pads just last night. We'll see if this helps. Anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
cage training is always the best way to go...the key is to get a cage that is just large enough for your pup to be comfortable, but not big enough for your pup to potty in one end and sleep at the other....the cage needs to be small enough were your pup doesnt have room to do this...usually the pup will not potty where it has to sleep.

I love the alarm idea!

I also work long days and I did get my pups to use the pads, but it was a long and painful process (for myself :wink: )

If your pup gets the pad training that would be the best way!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts