Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaning toward trying to have my dog's evening meal be a raw meal.

Currently I have just been slapping down a chicken drumstick bone (about 1.5 oz) for each of them, and I let Laurel get Bryco's "going" for him b'c he's fine after that. I take as much skin off as I can, but should I be leaving it on?

1) I don't know the appropriate amounts to feed. I have a good kitchen scale I just bought.

2) I think 5-6 bone-in meals will probably be too much bone, but how many meals SHOULD be bone-in?

3) They get bison and rabbit from their premade, as well as chicken and turkey. They have Turkey based THK as well. Their bone-in raw meals are usually chicken or pork ribs. I can get beef and lamb easily as well. I've read beef is too rich for at first but they get veal mixed in w/ their THK sometimes and do fine w/ that so maybe they would be fine w/ beef meals? They don't get any beef bone as there just isn't beef bone they can eat. Tonight we had pot roast and before I cooked the meat I cut off about .2 oz chunks of the meat and fed it to them w/ their bone in chicken.

I feel like I want to keep up the amount of raw they are getting, they are healthier than they've ever been, but I think I need to make sure I know what I am doing so I don't hurt them.

4) is there such a thing as "too much variety"...e.g. I am varying their meats too much?

5) I am going to start adding in organ 2-3 meals a week and go from there, a fingernail sized piece like recommended. Will this be enough if they are having 5-7 raw meals a week? Honestly organs AND raw meat gross me out, but its getting easier and I just wash my hands and the counter thoroughly and they are getting better about eating on their blankets.

Okay so I think those are my questions for now. I think this is best for them but I also want to keep the convenience of pre-mades, THK and Ziwi as options. Those are easiest for morning meals as we don't have the time to monitor the naughties while they eat.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
There is no such thing as too much variety!!

You want to feed 2-3% of their adult weight or if you don't know that for the puppies up to 8% of their current weight. You know the ratios... But each dog is different I do 1 out of 3 meals as in bone unless it's a meat I know loosens them up (like tripe that sends both their bums into space)

Your organ will be next to nothing for bryco and Oakley daisy is a 5lb pup and gets just over 1oz of liver and 1oz of heart a week (as does lotus)

I've never had any probs with the girls having beef of any form it hasn't effected their bowls!!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I am leaning toward trying to have my dog's evening meal be a raw meal.

Currently I have just been slapping down a chicken drumstick bone (about 1.5 oz) for each of them, and I let Laurel get Bryco's "going" for him b'c he's fine after that. I take as much skin off as I can, but should I be leaving it on?

1) I don't know the appropriate amounts to feed. I have a good kitchen scale I just bought.

2) I think 5-6 bone-in meals will probably be too much bone, but how many meals SHOULD be bone-in?

3) They get bison and rabbit from their premade, as well as chicken and turkey. They have Turkey based THK as well. Their bone-in raw meals are usually chicken or pork ribs. I can get beef and lamb easily as well. I've read beef is too rich for at first but they get veal mixed in w/ their THK sometimes and do fine w/ that so maybe they would be fine w/ beef meals? They don't get any beef bone as there just isn't beef bone they can eat. Tonight we had pot roast and before I cooked the meat I cut off about .2 oz chunks of the meat and fed it to them w/ their bone in chicken.

I feel like I want to keep up the amount of raw they are getting, they are healthier than they've ever been, but I think I need to make sure I know what I am doing so I don't hurt them.

4) is there such a thing as "too much variety"...e.g. I am varying their meats too much?

5) I am going to start adding in organ 2-3 meals a week and go from there, a fingernail sized piece like recommended. Will this be enough if they are having 5-7 raw meals a week? Honestly organs AND raw meat gross me out, but its getting easier and I just wash my hands and the counter thoroughly and they are getting better about eating on their blankets.

Okay so I think those are my questions for now. I think this is best for them but I also want to keep the convenience of pre-mades, THK and Ziwi as options. Those are easiest for morning meals as we don't have the time to monitor the naughties while they eat.
Sarah is right! There's no such thing as too much variety. You are off to a good start with all that you are providing now. :)

Start leaving the skin on. It's necessary for energy as they burn fat instead of carbs. You can take off the obvious big yellow chunks of fat, but leave the skin. :) I'd do it gradually over several meals so you don't cause loose stools.

You can also incorporate eggs if you wish. Raw with the shell is fine. Let them decide if they want to eat the shell or not. If not you can dry them out on the counter and then grind them up and sprinkle on food as a perfect calcium supplement. :)

1. 2-3% of their projected adult weight is easiest for me to figure out. You can adjust up or down depending on how they are looking and feeling.

2. I usually do a couple of boneless meals then a bone-in.

3. I try and keep Brody at mostly red meat with his cornish hen bony chunks providing his bone content. Beef, lamb, venison, rabbit, pork, bison - all good.

4. No, the more variety, the more nutrients you are providing. If chicken is a little low in zinc for example - a meal of beef heart will cover all the zinc you need plus more.

If you are feeding farmed grocery store meats, not grass fed, they may be a little low on omega 3's which are easily covered by oily fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines) or by a squirt of salmon oil.

5. Yes, a 5 pound dog needs 2 ounces of organ a week. I do beef liver and beef kidney but you can alternate that with chicken. Or you can do some whole prey meals if you wish and the organ is already in there in the perfect ratio! ;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay so Laurel I already know needs less food ... I will start her at 2% of her weight, which is only just over 2 ounces...wow, REALLY?

Trigger is 7 lbs and a bit porky, he'd get about 1.5 ounces per day, meaning a bit less than an ounce for a raw meal?

Oakley is 3.5-3.75 lbs depending on the day, she would get less than an ounce per day?

Bryco is still a puppy @ around 3.6 lbs, but also is rather round I noticed, when I gave him his baths this weekend...so start him off at maybe 1.5-2 oz per day? or around an ounce or less for one meal...?

Wow that doesn't seem like enough food...no wonder these dogs never poop! I've also definitely been over-feeding a bit on their raw meals. They get salmon & coconut oil an I plan to keep that up :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Zoey is 4.5# and gets about 2oz per day and that is going to increase as she's getting too skinny, with the little dogs you will find they need a lot more food than a larger dog. My 12# pomeranian gets 4-5oz per day.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Kristi those amounts seem v low :/ daisy gets 2-3 oz as a 5lb pup lotus gets the same (tho at this rate shell be 2lb forever)

Anyway here's a calculator

Calculate

Laurel gets 4oz
Oakley I'd give 1.5-2 a day
Bryco 2-3oz a day
Trigger I'd give 5 and see how he does

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh and I'd then go by their body condition I keep increasing my girls in the hope they'll fill out a but daisy I try to keep as slim as I can coz of her knee

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, thanks for that Sarah. I thought what I calculated seemed crazy low...I had tried to find that calculator on google but I couldn't find anything. I think making their evening meal raw won't be that hard.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, how do you guys freeze stuff? I try to portion it out before but end up w/ these huge frozen chunks that I can't get back down to size, I like feeding from frozen and my guys seem to enjoy it, it forces them to chew more...but its a nightmare getting it apart.

I still also am having a really hard time chopping up say a cornish hen, I guess I need better knives.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I use snack bags to portion out my meats, I weigh & divide them before they are frozen or let them thaw in fridge them divide them out. Then I put all the snack bags in a large gallon freezer bag and label. I pull the meat out every 2-3 days for the next few days meals except organs then I pull them out the morning of. I actually use a pair of kitchen shears and a 'boning' knife I got from All a Dollar the moment to cut up my cornish hens ha ha.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
For the grinds I weigh out the appropriate amount for the dogs. Then I roll each portion into meatballs and put in a sandwich size ziplock freezer bag. Each ziplock bag contains one meal for all four dogs. They all get the same amount except for Lola, but I can tell her portions from the others because hers are half the size.
Then I place all the portioned ziplocked meals into a gallon size ziplock freezer bag. I label the bag (date & type of meat), place in a plastic container, and put it in the freezer. All done! Phew! Lol! :)
I do the same for their meaty bone meals and meat chunks.
I like to keep the plastic containers organized. One container is grinds, one is just meat chunks, and one is their meaty bones.

A lot of work at first, but makes things easier in the long run. ;)

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I cut everything up and separate into bags I have a cleaver (like a mini axe thing) that gets through everything if u can separate it run the bag under warm water and then u call pull it apart or freeze it on grease proof paper then once frozen pop it off and pit it in a bag then it'll keep it separate!

I'm excites for you lol

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gonna try giving them their first "bone out" meal tonight of chicken, they had bone in chicken last night for dinner and pre-made this AM, so I think a bone out meal should be fine.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One other ?...when you just give them a chunk of meat, how do you cut it? I was thinking strips but then they might be able to choke on those?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I try and make it ice cube shaped. The thicker the better. :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it normal for them to not really chew boneless meals? They all pretty much chomped once or twice and then swallowed their piece of meat whole...

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Maybe you could give more meatier chunks so they have to rip and chew their meat. On the days you feed meat chunks maybe make that their only meal, so it can be a good size chunk. Then give a snack later. Or you could just cut down the amount of one meal so the meaty chunk is a bit bigger.
If the meat chunk isn't big enough mine will inhale it too. Especially Lola. The others are pretty good about taking their time, but I need to keep an eye on her. She is my gulper, but has gotten a lot better with time.
:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts