Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its now Autumn here in Australia and it is already chilly!!

I hadn't really thought about how Fiddle would go in the Winter, but this morning was chilly and It got me thinking!

Bed time is easy, I have lots of warm blankets for her and a heat pad too.

Its during the day time that I am concerned about, the area she is left in while I am at work has floorboards - which can be quite cold on here wittle paws. She has a bed, blanket and a mat she can relax on but I am still worried.

Today I left her with a jumper on, but even before I left I had to untangle her leg twice :/

What do you do to keep your Chi's toasty warm?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
We leave ours with a small space heater in front of one of the beds, and they also have a heating pad. They all cuddle up in front of them when its too cold for their liking. Generally I don't leave mine in clothes or collars when I am gone b'c I worry some freak accident will happen and they will get stuck or hung up on the clothes. So they get the heaters instead ;)

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
We keep our house pretty warm and they have blankets on their beds that they can burrow under.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I use those microwavable heated disc's that will last at least 6 hrs. I put them in their beds under their snuggle sacks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I actually leave the central heating on, but I am in & out all day as I don't work. They are also given roam of the house so often jump into our bed under the doona. Yes they are spoilt :D

Generally if I am going to be out for an extended period & I leave them outside Bella will wear a jumper & they will have a nice warm bed & blankies beside the outdoor fridge & out of any drafts.

Maybe if your little one gets tangled in jumpers you could try a coat that straps on with velcro around the chest & tummy? I know the ones we have are made by Wags Wear.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I actually leave the central heating on, but I am in & out all day as I don't work. They are also given roam of the house so often jump into our bed under the doona. Yes they are spoilt :D

Generally if I am going to be out for an extended period & I leave them outside Bella will wear a jumper & they will have a nice warm bed & blankies beside the outdoor fridge & out of any drafts.

Maybe if your little one gets tangled in jumpers you could try a coat that straps on with velcro around the chest & tummy? I know the ones we have are made by Wags Wear.

Wow, you leave them outside alone? I cant imagine that. You must not have any predators or dog nappers where you live?

·
Registered
236 Posts
No I live in suburban Melbourne so no predators really, they are also in a well fenced yard away from the street and we live in a little court that hardly ever sees any traffic. There is also someone always home at our neighbours & they keep an eye out for us.

Yogi stays indoor with the cats though as he is just too young to be out.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Zoey has loads of blankets scattered around that she can snuggle under. I would be worried to leave a jumper on if I were not around to watch her.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Leo and Miley go in their crates if no one is home to watch them. They have "cratewear sets"- a soft fuzzy crate cover, bumper and padded mattress for their crates, plus a little blanket. Leo never seems to get cold, I guess thats just a perk of his long coat, but Miley has a very thin coat and is still comfortable in her kennel. Reese has the run of the house, and he usually sleeps in our bed under the duvet or sits on the back of our couch. We havent had a problem with them being cold indoors in the winter, but we have carpeting in most of the rooms, I can see how hardwood would make a big difference! Frankly I would be nervous about leaving clothes on them when Im out, or leaving a space heater on when Im not home. Maybe just keep the heat up and leave her something she can burrow under, like a snuggle sack or blankie if shes cold? Sounds like you already have plenty of spots for her to get off the floors if she wants? How cold does it get there during the winter?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts