Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just brought my pup a new collar and since I put it on he's been scratching his neck. He doesn't have flea or anything because when I take it off he seems to be ok. Is this normal at first? Will he get use to it?

He's at 9 weeks old now and he's very aggressive. I mean running around very fast and bitting and growling at me harder each time. :( I'm going to put him in the obedience school for sure. But for the time being; what should I do?

thanks for all your opinions.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If he wasn't wearing a collar until now, he's probably just getting used to having something around his neck. Make sure it's not too tight (on a pup, you should be able to get the tip of your finger between his neck and the collar) but not too loose where he can get it caught on something. If it's leather, it may be scratching him a bit as well.

The aggression and biting is most likely normal puppy behavior. You may try taking a soft toy and diverting his attention from your hand to the toy when he starts getting "mean". I always used toys as tug-of-war toys, making a barrier between the sharp puppy teeth and my hand.

You might also want to try yelling "ouch" really loud when he bites you, enough to get his attention and realize when he bites, you make a not-so-pleasant noise. Giving him something to chew on is probably the best idea though. Cat toys are great for small breed puppies - just make sure there's no catnip in them if you don't want it all over your floor. That's really hard to get up. :D Plus, if you have a cat, that can lead to a dog vs. cat battle... and the cat always wins. :lol:

Good luck!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cooper you're the BEST :lol: I just got some little piece of pig's ear but was wondering if it's safe enough for puppy. So far he loves it and he was very busy trying to chew on it the whole day today.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Be careful with the pigs ears though; too much can cause more poop than you're ready to handle LOL

Trust me, I know. <shudder>

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
[/quote]He's at 9 weeks old now and he's very aggressive. I mean running around very fast and bitting and growling at me harder each time.
hmmm Tyson is like this too , we distract him with a toy or if that doesnt work then we ignore him and put him away from us until he can some and be nice! i am also gonna go to training with him soon.

It can be very frustrating but tyson does learn that we wont play with him when he gets aggresive :wave:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cooper said:
Be careful with the pigs ears though; too much can cause more poop than you're ready to handle LOL

Trust me, I know. <shudder>
We give pig ears to each of our dogs [I've had a yorkie for about 2 years before we got Cheech] and, well...that explains a LOT!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I bought these things called "Better than Pig Ears" at either Petsmart or Petco - they are pig ear-shaped and are man-made. They come in different flavors, etc. My problem with pig ears are they're so big most of the time and Cooper will suck down a whole one before I realize it. And then, the poop... oh the poop!! (We have the same problem with the pig ear "strips.")

Anyway, I decided to get a bag - it came with three of them - and I took a pigs ear and one of the "fake" pigs ears and offered both to Cooper. First, let me tell you Cooper LOVES pig ears. He would fight you for one. I fully expected to see him grab the ear and run off with it but he took the "faux" pig ear instead!!!

Granted, it's not as chewy as a real ear so it didn't give him much chew time and he was able to get through it in record speed but he really did love the thing. And he had no poop explosion afterwards!!! I still give him the pig ear strips but not as often. He really digs those "faux" ears!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts