Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance of buying 1 of these puppies but I'd like your opinions on them please. I am a little concerned that they are saying they can go at 8 weeks. Do you think this is too young? The first pic is a girl and the second a boy.

I hope the photos have attached because I've never done it before! I think they have!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Aww they are both too cute! From what I have read in the books Chihuahua's should leave momma around 10-12 weeks. But we just got Macie friday and she was just short of 10 weeks. Good luck!

Michelle

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gorgeous arn't they. I havn't been to see them yet but I am bothered that 8 weeks is too young for a Chi to leave Mum. I would have prefered 10-12weeks as you say. I'll see what other people think but that you for your reply.

Sue

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree i think it's too young and I've pointed this out to the breeder who has replied that they are fully weaned and he always sells his puppies at 8 weeks and he doesn't know where I've got 10-12 weeks from. I think I've slightly annoyed him!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rather doubt it from his reply which insinuated that I didn't really know what I was talking about. I seem to have got his back up a bit!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Well, the older puppies get, the more WORK they are! Mom isn't cleaning up after them anymore, they are rambunctious, they make a mess of their food, they pee and poo ... a LOT. They are a lot of work for sure.

Some breeders are more than ready to get them out of their house and into new homes as soon as they can! Less work for them! The longer they keep them, the lower their profits sink as they buy more puppy food, puppy pads, and invest a lot of time in feeding them and cleaning up after them.

An unethical or naive breeder wants to get rid of those puppies as soon as they can. It is NOT in the best interest of the puppy. It is selfishness on the part of the breeder.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you brodysmum. I'm beginning to think that as lovely as these puppies are, maybe I would be wise to give them a miss. I want a healthy happy puppy and not one that someone wants to get rid of for the reasons you've said.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
why do you have to wait until 10-12 weeks? just curious I got one of mine at 7 weeks and another at 10 weeks and both were 100% healthy....If they're eating ont heir own have been seen by a vet who agrees they are ready to go at 8 weeks then what is the problem?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well they are both entirely super cute. Do you have a preference between male vs. female??

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi ekeeney, I've always had bitches, never a dog, and I was looking for a bitch but I asked people's opinions on here and they were all saying that their is little difference between the two especially if a dog is castrated at a young age. So now I really have no preference and would be happy with either. It is a dark coloured chi that I want though ie: black,black/white,black/tan etc.
Sue

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I sell mine anywhere from 8-12 weeks depending on their progress and everything. I can hold puppies longer but usually people are so excited they cant wait unitl they're any older then 8 weeks old! Just because theyre 8 weeks old doesnt mean that theyre not happy healthy puppies. My JRT are leaving now at the age of 9 weeks old and even though Layla/ Tigga left on Saturday ive had many emails already saying how great shes getting on and im glad shes staying in contact! i like the little girl shes pretty!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I got Daisy at 8 weeks and 4 days.. she was tiny, had a squint and caught a bug!! I didn't think much of her breeder, however i have the most beautiful lovely pup in the world!!

The pups are gorgeous.. although i don't know if its the photo or just me but they look quite large for 8 week old puppies!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought they looked quite large and they are not 8 weeks yet. They are just under 7 weeks on the photo, They won't be 8 weeks until 31st March.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
By the size of these pups I'd say they are fine going home at 8 weeks. We got Marley, Matilda & Maribelle all between 8-9 weeks & they were fine. The smallest (Mari) weighed 1lb 14oz at around 9 weeks & she's done wonderfully. For the teeny tinies I'd wait longer but these pups look over 2lbs (to me) & I think would do just fine leaving at 8 weeks.

Saying that...they are cute but again...they look lilke bigger Chi's to me. So it all depends on if you are looking for the standard size Chi (2-6lbs). If size doesn't matter...they look good otherwise. I love the chocolate one btw. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for your advice heather but it's got a little bit unpleasant and I'm being classed as a time waster and so these puppies are now out of the question.
Sue

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I did notice that some breeders like the whole litter gone at the same time--as long as the pups are big enough and eating okay, etc. If they keep one back, it is sometimes confusing to the mother. Some say it is easier on the mum to have them all go at the one time. Around here US north east the trend is eight weeks, that is the minimum age to let a pup be sold in some states. Many buyers want theat "baby" wee pup so the earlier the better. Unfortunatly with this breeder the smaller they are the more money they seem to bring in.

I asked that mone be held for 2-3 days after the eight week mark. The breeder grilled me on the reason behind it. I simply wanted to collect him on a friday versus a wednesday as I had taken time off from work etc. I didn't want to get him home then go off to work a very long day and night.

I hope that you keep looking. It is so much fun to see puppies.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts