Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have my little guy but i'm a little concerned that he is TO skinny... You can easily fill his ribs and spine... It's not obvious but you can feel them pretty easily..

He's 7 weeks by the way, is fed Royal Canin Baby Dog or Baby Puppy or something like that and is fed every 2-3 Hours/Free fed....

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Wow he is seven weeks and weaned comepletely....he may just be catching up still..

What did the vet say ? And how much does the wee one weigh in at ?? what size are the parents ??

Maybe you could supplement with Nutra Cal for Puppies for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parents no clue.... His "Breeder" said he will be between 3-5 pounds full grown. He weighs 1lb with his harness when the vet weighed him Thursday. He's healthy, active, eats like crazy.. We wormed him yesterday... The breeder was an idiot.. We got him for pretty much free, bad bad situation.... Got him at 6 weeks ish as well *sighs*.. He's been fine but i'm a worried he's a tad thin but he's had alot of stress....

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
It sounds like it...6 weeks is very young. I would try supplementing the baby kibble with some nutra-cal puppy. When pups are weaning..I know they are fed mushy stuff..Rico had human baby food, nutra cal and something else--icky mush...

If the puppy was stressed and I am sure leaving his mother at sucha tender age was a stress he probably has catchign up to do. He does need to have adequate nutrition for his grwoth but also for important brain growth and development too.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My Pepper is the same size and age. (I've no idea why the "breeders" here think it's a great idea to take puppies away from the mom at 6 weeks around here). The vet recomended mixing in canned puppy formula for the first week I had her, along with the nutri-cal.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
He doesn't look over skinny to me but the camera is in an awkward place. Did the vet say anything about his weight?? When are you next going back to the vet as they put on a lot of weight between 8 and 12 weeks!! Daisy was doing just over an ounce a week between 8 and 10 weeks and will find out tomorrow how much she has put on in the last 2 weeks!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
(I've no idea why the "breeders" here think it's a great idea to take puppies away from the mom at 6 weeks around here).
The sooner the puppies are weaned, the sooner their mom will be ready to breed again. It's very sad, but that may be the explanation for some of them. :(

Poptart, your little guy is very cute!:love5:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Poptart is adorable.
I can feel Quigley's ribs and back bone as well. They sound much alike, busy running around and eating well. Just not much meat on their bones. The vet gave me Hi-Vite Drops. I still free feed him puppy food, supplement with Nutri cal and now the vitamins to try to get some weight on him. At 4 Mos he is still just 1.5 LBS. He is healthy, eats well. Plays hard and loves to snuggle so I am not too worried. I take him and have him weighed every 2 weeks to make sure all is well though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts