Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyone uses to hold their Chi's toys in. At the moment Jaxx's toys are lying in his bed but he is getting so many that a lot of times the toys are on the floor instead of in the bed.

I had a big basket for my golden retriever's toys when he was alive (now it is filled with my special collectable teddy bears.) I have thought about a basket for Jaxx's toys as well because I love baskets and the house is already filled with them so it would go with the decor but the problem is I have not been able to find anything where Jaxx would be able to go and get his toys out of the basket because he is so small.

Shadow loved having a special place that belonged to him where all of his toys were always located. I even had him trained that I could say "pick up" when I came home from work and all his toys were scattered all over the house and he would go around and pick up the toys and place them back in the basket.

I just can't seem to find anything that I think would be okay to put Jaxx's toys in. I figured I would come here and see what everyone else uses and get some wonderful inspiration.

I hope everyone is having a delightful day!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
It's funny you asked that, cause this was a problem for me so I designed a chifferobe and my hubby built it for me. I'll take a pic when I have time. The top is where I hang her clothes. It has a draw for snacks, clippers, leashes, etc. and the bottom I designed for her toys. I have a beanie pillow in there now, but eventually I want to make a cushion to line the bottom and the sides. Midgie don't care nothing about getting in there with her toys but she does dig out her favorite toys. She knows it's her chifferobe. I have yet to decorate it with her name and accents. I'll try to take a pic soon.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It's funny you asked that, cause this was a problem for me so I designed a chifferobe and my hubby built it for me. I'll take a pic when I have time. The top is where I hang her clothes. It has a draw for snacks, clippers, leashes, etc. and the bottom I designed for her toys. I have a beanie pillow in there now, but eventually I want to make a cushion to line the bottom and the sides. Midgie don't care nothing about getting in there with her toys but she does dig out her favorite toys. She knows it's her chifferobe. I have yet to decorate it with her name and accents. I'll try to take a pic soon.
I was thinking up my design for something like this, but just for clothes. I have a box for dog toys downstairs. Venus jumps right into the box to get her toys.

I'm going to make Venus a bed with a canopy and an armoire for her clothes. Venus is my daughter's chi so I have to make it to match her room. I didn't bother doing much of this before only because I knew we would be going through a couple of big moves before settling down, and I didn't want to lug around anything that I didn't have to. Now we're here to stay at our new house, and it's time to get serious about decorating. I will post pictures when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
I take a Pet Taxi (kennel) and turn the top on the bottom to place all Chicos toys in... its accessible and keeps everything in the kennel...

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Odie's toys are in a little woven basket under our coffee table. It's shallow enough that she can put her head over and choose a toy, and sometimes she just hops right in. However, she turns the basket itself into a toy and chews it. We've been looking for an alternative and found a super cute dog toy bin made out of wood, but it was too high for her to get into. I think we'll also design and make something ourselves in the future. I've seen some pretty cute baskets on spacesavers.com, but i've never purchased from them.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have been looking for something to use too, especially now that Bean got so many new toys for Christmas. Ikea have collapsible cubes like ~LS~ posted, I might go get one today and try it out.

·
Registered
681 Posts
LOL, I wil sound like a slob... Calista's toys are in a cardboard box next to her bed... she likes it :D and our home is for her comfort, so if it looks a mess... oh well. :giggle:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well, that's been a real challenge around here.

I tried a beautiful large basket. Gracie dumped all the toys out and shredded the basket into a zillion pieces while I was working - hence the reason she now spends my work hours in a large crate.

I tried a neat looking large basket made out of chicken wire...It was so light weight, they dumped it every 5 minutes.

Now, we're using a hard plastic laundry basket, but it still gets dumped by Pedro...Everything he wants is always in the very bottom.

Not sure there is a good solution, but I can readily say mine have WAY too many toys.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I use a vintage doll carriage, LOL.... the legs are folded up and it goes with our living room decor. It's not really worth much so it still serves a purpose while looking cute hehe.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I had this problem but then found a great basket at Cost Plus World Market (don't know if those exist anywhere else). It is like 4 inches high, but 14x20 footprint, so they can't really tip over cause the base is so wide, it is more like a base with a lip if that makes any sense. It is woven but it is a sturdy rectangle also helping with the not tipping over part. For the longest time I couldn't find anything that the little dog could get into, but was still big enough to hold all our stuff.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the great ideas!!

We are going to Dallas on Friday to see the Ice Exhibit at the Gaylord hotel so I figure I will hit Ikea and some of the basket shops up there and see if I can find anything that will work.

I have a friend who is into wood working so I guess the worst case scenario is I could design something and ask him to make it if I buy the wood for him.

We have been talking about getting Jaxx another bed for our room so perhaps we could split the toys up between the two until we find something.

I have square (woven) containers in my entertainment center that I picked up at Ikea I might pick one of those up for now and just sit it on its side so he can get access to it beside his bed. When we first got Jaxx he tried chewing on my baskets but I immediately told him it was a no no and he has not done it since so I figure a woven type container should work for him and hopefully he would not chew it up.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You mean some people keep toys in a specific container??? LOL With 5 they come back out as fast as I can put them away. I do rotate so at least its a manageable amount. :)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You mean some people keep toys in a specific container??? LOL With 5 they come back out as fast as I can put them away. I do rotate so at least its a manageable amount. :)
Didn't say the toys stayed in the container long...LOL

·
Registered
50 Posts
the play room floor. She likes My Little Ponies and stuffed animals the best. Her own toys I toss on the dog bed or in her crate. I'm hoping the kids will learn soon, if not she has a large selection of toys and the amount the kids have to clean up will steadily decrease. Lego creations are a hit with her too but they are catching on there.

My boxer never played with toys. It's fun to have one show so much interest in them.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
My lot have a plastic storage crate with their toys in, it fits nicely in a corner between the wall and tv unit meaning only the front is open. (otherwise the ridiculous amount of toys they have would spill out onto the floor! The crate has a huge pyramid of toys piled up in it!!LOL):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I use a smallish wicker laundry basket I picked up from Michaels. I dont know how small Jaxx is...but Lacey is under 3lbs and she has no problems getting toys out of it....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts