Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have the four dogs of course, and one cat named Barnie, and then we have dairy goats. :) Four does and two bucks. Not crazy about the bucks, but... hey, gotta have 'em to have the does. lol All of the does we have were here when we moved in except one named Nia. She was one of our spring kids, (born March 2010) and weighs 100 lbs already. :) She follows me around like the dogs do. They are very amazing animals. Anyway, here are a few pics. OBTW, these pics are really awful of me, I weighed a lot more at that time, and kidding season is very hard work and I was exhausted. :)

I'm a big girl now!

The does did well on the show circuit this year. We only had them out to a few shows, but they did well. I am very proud of their CH and GCH standings.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Aww, she is so cute, little Nia! My husband and I have chickens, and we're seriously considering milk goats next!! :) I haven't ever tasted goat milk or cheese, but I'm very curious if it tastes better/worse/different than the cow milk I'm used to? What are your opinions? :)
I'm so glad you shared! It looks like they did VERY well with all those ribbons and awards.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Darcie, I'm glad someone was actually interested! lol

Our Nubian goat milk tastes very similar to cows milk, only richer and creamier. If I hadn't known it was goat milk, I wouldn't have known the difference taste wise, but as I said it is much richer. :) BUT, all goat milk is not created equal. Some breeds are known for their divine milk, some known for their yucky milk. And of course it in part depends on what they are fed and how they are housed. When you and hubby are ready to make a decision, you can google for milk info and I will help all I can. :)

Thank you so much for your interest.

·
Registered
912 Posts
OoohHH! Hubby will be THRILLED to learn its richer and creamier! He would drink heavy whipping cream if I wasn't here to stop him. LOL :)
Yes, I'm sure I will be bugging you when it comes time to buy some goats! They are so darned cute too, MAJOR PLUS! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
OH my favorite subject. The goats are amazing. I'm lucky enough to have Linny live a half hour away and I've had the pleasure of meeting them, loving on them and playing with them. They are truly the most gentle creatures. Over a few visits, they have gotten to know me by voice and when I pull in they know my car. I know it sounds crazy but they really are like pets, in a way. Lin, I am so glad you posted these. They are addicting, magnificent creatures. BTW, you have lost a ton of weight. Can't believe the difference in these pics. Love you sweetie.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Awwww how sweet are they?! I have always loved goats. My sister had two of the little dwarf ones, I forget what breed they were. They were lovely pets. I love the picture of you bottle feeding the little baby! So cute!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Darcie, Robin and Tracy. :) And what Robin says is true about them knowing her, but they won't if she doesn't get her behind out here before too much longer. Robin, I'll cut your camera off!!!! rofl.

Tracy, It is very challenging to even learn to bottle feed them, but once ya do, you just want to cuddle and feed. They actually smell like newborn humans when they are born. Your sister could have had Pygmy's or Nigerian Dwarf's. The Nigerians are wonderful little goats with the most awesome milk. I would love to have a Nigerian doe.

Thank you all for letting me share and for sharing with me.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Very cute. My uncle used to have goats as my cousin was allergic to cows milk, it was always fun to go and help milk them, and see the babies.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes Heather, people who are inclined to have milk allergies and who are lactose intolerant, very often can tolerate goats milk. Sometimes when children are showing indications of milk intolerance, doctors will prescribe goat milk. It's something about the fat molecules in the milk. :)

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Very cute I love goats.I fed a baby goat from a baby bottle when I was younger it was so sweet.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Awwww, look at the lil goats! They are so sweet, Lin. I bet you have a blast with them. :)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Anglo Nubians would have to be one of my fav breeds :) , i actually was getting one until the breeder said they thought an Australian melaan would be better suited to me as the Nubians baa pretty load lol .
i have had my boy for around 4 or 5 yrs now , he thinks he is one of the dogs lol

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bella-jean, do you mean you have a buck? That's pretty cool. Yeah the Nubians are noted for being the loudest, but not consistently. Once in awhile I'll hear them, and when they are in estrus it can get pretty noisy. :)

Kerri, holding that little doeling on ,my lap and feeding her was a little heaven on earth. She was the last of the kids born and I was whooped, so curling up on the recliner with her felt so good.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just figured out how to use the multi-quote. Pretty cool.

Very cute I love goats.I fed a baby goat from a baby bottle when I was younger it was so sweet.
Whenever children are here they love to feed the babies. :) And usually were tired enough that it's a relief to have the help.

Awwww, look at the lil goats! They are so sweet, Lin. I bet you have a blast with them. :)
I do have a blast with them. They can be aggravating at times, but the kids are so doggone cute.

I love goats/kids! They are naughty, definitely, though! We want some when we get some land.
Oh they can be down right ornery. They are they only "livestock" that is so very much like domesticated. :) Even the vet profession recognizes that. lol

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
So so cute!!
What a wee sweetheart being bottle fed!
Love that pic Lin!
Robin is so lucky to have met you and all your beautiful furry angels!
Am jealous! lol x

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Terri. Yes, Robin loves them and the does adore her. :) They know her when she comes. lol Wonder if it's cause she gives 'em treats each time. lol She didn't get to see the kids when they were wee ones. Maybe next spring. We had such a treacherous winter last year. I sure hope it's milder this year. If ever you come stateside, you'll have to come out! We live in a wonderful old house.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts