Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..then what dog breed is the 'next best thing'???
Im looking for dog number four and was thinking about something different but there are a lot of characteristics about Chi's I love. Their size, their low exercise requirements and mainly the fact the always want to be on your lap! Ive looked at CKCS, chinese crested, japanese chin, yorkie, shih tzu, poodle, papillon but nothing seems right.. (I really want a mini daschshund but have decided that there are just too many steps in my house and garden for it to be practical).

So what other dog breeds would Chi owners recommend???:confused:

·
Registered
225 Posts
(I really want a mini daschshund but have decided that there are just too many steps in my house and garden for it to be practical).
That's exactly what I'd want. I've always wanted a mini doxi!!! I have a chi and a chi / terrier mix. I keep telling myself that if I ever get a 3rd (I never would until I owned my own house...) I'd get a mini doxi OR a long coat Chi.

I also really love Corgis... I think I just like dogs with short legs lol.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I reccomend Beagles (they are small but not toy), or maybe a Maltese or Bichon Frise? And like someone posted, Italian Greyhounds are taller, more slender Chi's, really, lol.

Cairn terriers, yorkies, miniature poodles, bull terriers, any breed is really fine, just as long as you do research on it and stuff.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was about to say Pomeranian too.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If i were to get another breed it would get a pom, pug or daxi for sure, i especially want a pug but they are soooo expensive here!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I really love Chis. As for small dogs, Chis & Chi mixes have stolen my heart. If I were to get another breed it would be a big dog I love Great Danes, Black Labs. Rotties, Pit Bull. Somewhere in there.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I got to say if they were legal I would get a Pit Bull I love fighting the stigma they have

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
If you do get a pekingese, beware they are NOT lap dogs, they are very independant and STUBBORN. lol I just got a chug (chi+pug), I'm guessing, I'll let you know how they are. I've basically have had every type of dog out there. My favorites are chis, of course, and german shepherds, pit bulls, poodles, and rotties. A miniature poodle may be what you would like, very wonderful dogs.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Big or small I like all breeds of dogs but a some day I would love to own a king cavalier spaniel, 13" beagle or a boston bull terrier.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I live with my parents right now and they only like small dogs so I've had a shih tzu and a shih tzu cross (before Bailey) and now a Chi cross... When I move in with the boyfriend in a year or two, we will be getting 2 goldens and of course I'm taking Bailey with me

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
..then what dog breed is the 'next best thing'???
Im looking for dog number four and was thinking about something different but there are a lot of characteristics about Chi's I love. Their size, their low exercise requirements and mainly the fact the always want to be on your lap! Ive looked at CKCS, chinese crested, japanese chin, yorkie, shih tzu, poodle, papillon but nothing seems right.. (I really want a mini daschshund but have decided that there are just too many steps in my house and garden for it to be practical).

So what other dog breeds would Chi owners recommend???:confused:
What do you mean exactly by "low exercise requirements"? I personally find
Chis to be a very playful, active breed. A breed that loves agility, hikes,
games,etc. How much time per day are you willing to dedicate to walking,
playing and training your dog? What are your reasons for wanting a 4th dog?
Do you have any other pets besides the dogs? Do you have children? For how
long would the dog be left alone for during the day? I ask you these questions
to better get to know your situation, needs and wants. There are so many
different breeds to choose from, it's difficult to suggest one to you without
knowing much about you.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
if i had the money or could find one, i would have a dandie dilmot.
they are the most beautiful little dog, i love watching them on crufts.
we already have the chis, chi x yorkie, and akitas, but i would love a black pom,
we had a few others that just didnt get on with the smallies and our lives were torture, so be very careful not to rock your boat!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts