Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really CANNOT take it anymore. Guinness is officially unable to be housebroken. I have tried all the tricks of the trade and no matter what, I am still finding poops in the dining room and my brothers room, etc. Not only that but now the areas have that animal smell and I CANT STAND THAT!

He is destroying the house by being a stinking boy. I have absolutely NO idea what to do with him. He is almost a year old and tiny pups have better toilet habits then he does.

The stink has settles into beneath the carpets so now we have to pull them up and replace the carpets.. probably with tile but who on earth can afford THAT right now? As much as I simply love and adore my boy - I have had it with his house habits.

Any clues as to what I can do???!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If he has specific spots he likes to poop in, try the red balloon technique. It worked for me when Cooper was poopin' under my bed, the little rapscallion.

Take a balloon, blow it up really big and show it to your dog. Make him interested in it, play with it, etc. THEN, all of a sudden, pop it. Make sure he's watching when it pops, but that he's not too close to it. (also remember to check later and make sure there isn't any balloon shrapnel he can eat.)

When it pops, run like h-ell and scream like you just had the poop scared out of you. Be sure not to trip over the dog because he'll be running slightly faster than you. Make sure if there is anyone else in the room, they scream and run as well.

The next day, blow up another balloon. Show it to the dog - he probably won't want to come near it. If he shows any interest at all in it, play with it, pop it, run like h-ell and scream.

Then, all you have to do is blow up balloons and put them in the spots where he normally poops. Leave them there for a while - up to a week. You can start off with 3 or 4 of them and take one away every other day but if the popping of the balloons worked, he will NOT want to go near that spot, even after they disappear.

And if he does, just blow up more balloons and put them back. I put about 20 of them under my bed when I was out to get Cooper and just left them there, since they weren't in my way.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I will try that as soon as I can get some balloons. There are spots he frequents.. a particular spot in the dining room, near my brother's closet.. on the floor of the bathroom rug. I have used every "enzyme" cleaner known to man - but it just doesn't clean well enough to get him to stop using those places. I think no matter what, the carpet has to come up. It's just a matter of when I can afford to do that.

I am also thinking of getting a doggy diaper for him. Maybe after he poops and pees on himself a few times, he'll realize it's much more rewarding when he goes outside and doesn't poop or pee on himself AND he gets a cookie. (Who knows..)

Odd thing is, I NEVER see him pee or poop ANYWHERE. I dont know WHEN he does it - but I always seem to find it.

Thanks for the advice with the balloons - will try it!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
SunnyFLMum said:
LMAO....I just had a mental picture of Coop's mom popping the balloon and running, waving arms in the air, screaming... :lol:

LOL.... :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yeah, I felt kind of stupid. I also had to get OmaKitty a babysitter for the day ... so not only was I out the cost of a bag of red balloons, I had to get my friend to come over and take her to his house while I sat around, popping balloons at a 5-month old chihuahua.

But hey, it worked. LOL

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Cooper said:
SunnyFLMum said:
LMAO....I just had a mental picture of Coop's mom popping the balloon and running, waving arms in the air, screaming... :lol:

LOL.... :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yeah, I felt kind of stupid. I also had to get OmaKitty a babysitter for the day ... so not only was I out the cost of a bag of red balloons, I had to get my friend to come over and take her to his house while I sat around, popping balloons at a 5-month old chihuahua.

But hey, it worked. LOL
Hey - if it works, don't knock it!! :lol: I must admit though - it does sound wierd and if someone saw you and didn't know what you were doing, they would probably call someone with the butterfly nets and straight jackets. :roll:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Bella is 2 1/2 and she still has BM's in my sewing room....and she will urinate anywhere if I don't give her frequent pit stops...she will use a pee pad sometimes...I have just accepted her behaviour and try very hard to get her outside for bathroom breaks frequently.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
chimom said:
Hey - if it works, don't knock it!! :lol: I must admit though - it does sound wierd and if someone saw you and didn't know what you were doing, they would probably call someone with the butterfly nets and straight jackets. :roll:
They're already outside my door. I just sneak out the back. :D

·
Registered
615 Posts
We all have to admit..for th emost part these little guys are hard to housebreak! My little one will use a pee pad if its not too dirty and if its close enough to her...otherwise she goes for the carpet. She doe slike to pee an dpoop outside so I try to get her outside alot. I am currently restricting her space to a small bathroom with a pee pad and she gets more space th emore she goes potty the correct way. If I see her especially if she poos on the pad or outside I act like I just won th elottery and its all because of her. It seems to work. I will have to try the baloon thing. She is timid so i bet it would work...I just can see my hairless crested playing with them though hehe.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have heard you have to re-crate train them when they start going all over the house. In other words...keep them in their crate (or playpen, confined bathroom etc...) and only let them out when you are supervising them.

I try to do this with Mo. But tend to let him out more in the afternoon...this is always when he has his accidents, and it is only poop. He seems to be able to hold his pee, but not the poop. I guess I'm going to just have to be more of a hard case about this. I tend to feel sorry for him because my other dogs are free roaming the house. I can't watch him all the time. In the morning he sleeps, so not a problem.

The balloon thing sounds like a good idea...but I don't know if it would work if he already poops in mutiple places. He may just find a new place?

·
Registered
403 Posts
i'm gonna have to try that ballon thing lol.. :lol: ..peanut has been gettin worse with going to the bathroom in the house...he use to be potty trained..i dunno what happened :?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Pismo said:
I have heard you have to re-crate train them when they start going all over the house. In other words...keep them in their crate (or playpen, confined bathroom etc...) and only let them out when you are supervising them.
Pismo said:
The balloon thing sounds like a good idea...but I don't know if it would work if he already poops in mutiple places. He may just find a new place?
I agree

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
janiebabes said:
With Cooper, he didn't even look for another place to poop. But, then again, he was incredibly easy to potty train and didn't start the hidden poop trick until AFTER he was completely trained to go outside. With him, I think it was more of a challenge to me to see if I meant what I said about pooping in the yard.

I actually gave it a little thought though and perhaps if the balloons start popping up in the poop places (popping up --- I just realized how funny I am!! :lol: ), the dog might think his pooping there caused the balloons to show up, so any other location other than sanctioned poop stations might cause them as well. Especially if they do! LOL

As with children, you have to keep a close eye on them as well. They can be sneaky but if you figure that your chi poops about an hour after they eat dinner, you can set a timer for 50 minutes and start watching for the poopy stance... and once you learn your dog's poopy stance, it's pretty easy to catch them before they do the dirty in a place you don't want them to.

Did that make sense? It's after 3am and I'm not even going to go back and read this to see if I know what I'm talking about. I'm going to bed instead. :lol:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i wouldn't do the diaper thing. dogs really have no concept if they pee and poop on themselves that that is what they get.... maybe you could keep him in segregated areas until you get this under control? do you have pads out for him?

·
Registered
151 Posts
AlekonaKini said:
I really CANNOT take it anymore. Guinness is officially unable to be housebroken. I have tried all the tricks of the trade and no matter what, I am still finding poops in the dining room and my brothers room, etc. Not only that but now the areas have that animal smell and I CANT STAND THAT!

He is destroying the house by being a stinking boy. I have absolutely NO idea what to do with him. He is almost a year old and tiny pups have better toilet habits then he does.

The stink has settles into beneath the carpets so now we have to pull them up and replace the carpets.. probably with tile but who on earth can afford THAT right now? As much as I simply love and adore my boy - I have had it with his house habits.

Any clues as to what I can do???!
I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if I am repeating someone else's advice.

Do you have a crate? If not get one and use it. Keep him crated at night and when you can't keep your eye's on him at all times to be able to read his potty signs. Go back to sqaure one on potty training..feed on a schedule and take him out on a schedule. It does take time but it's so worth it to have a housebroken dog. For some reason I found my little dogs were much harder to train than my labs. I don't know why but it was. lol.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
labtestedchi said:
For some reason I found my little dogs were much harder to train than my labs. I don't know why but it was. lol.
I think it's because we treat the little ones differently from the big ones. The little ones are cradled and treated more like humans than the big guys are, therefore, we're more leniant with them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cooper said:
labtestedchi said:
For some reason I found my little dogs were much harder to train than my labs. I don't know why but it was. lol.
I think it's because we treat the little ones differently from the big ones. The little ones are cradled and treated more like humans than the big guys are, therefore, we're more leniant with them.

I have 4 dogs..2 labs and 2 chis and they really aren't treated any differently..especially when it comes to training..I am a firm trainer. I won't have an untrained dog in my home even it does only weigh 4 lbs. There is nothing worse than an untrained dog.

The only difference is that the chis are allowed on the furniture and the labs aren't. They are spoiled with toys and treats and all kinds of bling and eat quite well :) (We feed part raw along with kibble)

I found my male chi was a tad hardheaded and I think that accounted for something.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
labtestedchi said:
I found my male chi was a tad hardheaded and I think that accounted for something.
:shock: :shock: :shock: A hardheaded chi??? Say it isn't so!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cooper said:
labtestedchi said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: A hardheaded chi??? Say it isn't so!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Shocking I know! lol :D My female is quite the little lover and wants to please all the time so she was easy to easy to train for the most part.

·
Registered
565 Posts
accidents

My chi Bonnie is in the process of litter training, and she does this thing where she'll pee in her box when i put her there, but then she'll run out and poop somewhere else about 5 minutes later. I've tried leaving her in there for awhile after she pees, but she won't for a long long time and then she'll just try to poop somewhere else when i let her out. I don't know...maybe she doesn't want me to see her poop. I think I'm gonna try that balloon thing though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts