Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nowadays on our walks I started to pay attention to people's dogs, and it
seems that more and more are getting overweight. The way I see it is, we
have a choice to do what we want with our bodies as long as it doesn't
hurt the ones we love, but our pets do not have that choice, WE the
owners are the reason they are fat. We feed them, we walk them, we
decide almost everything. So I believe that an owner who truly cares
about his dogs' well being should monitor their weight and make sure
they are healthy, since so many illnesses are associated with obesity.

Exercise is a necessity not only for the physical but for the mental well
being of your dog. And I strongly believe that the lack of exercise is one
of the major reasons behind many behavior problems. After all, a tired dog
is a good dog!

I do not think that simply sticking a dog in the yard is good enough, you
must stimulate your dog's body and mind, with different activities, places,
sounds, etc. No matter if your dog is old, blind, or ill, there are always some
kind of exercises and stimulation you can provide for them. And simply because
Chihuahuas are small, does not mean they won't benefit from activity, they
are after all DOGS, and dogs are active creatures by nature.

This is how I feel, perhaps some will disagree. But it honestly hurts my heart
to see so many overweight dogs around my neighborhood, they are slow, they
are weak, and they look unhappy and tired...how is that a life?

Stop feeding human food, stop feeding junk treats, stop overfeeding, and start
exercising your dog, he is your best friend, he trusts you to lead him in the right
direction, so be a pal and do it!

It's never too late to start living healthy!

This is my message, thank you for letting me express it. Don't be shy to post your opinions.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I totally agree with you!
I think some of owners, as well, are feeding bad quality dog food, which could also lead to obesity and are just generally uninformed.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
hey! well pippi is overweight but thats cause about a year and a half ago she was attacked by a dog outside and when i tried to take her for a walk she would roll over the go limp -_- and dont know if you have ever tried dragging a border collie along a street but it aint easy! lol but we are trying to get her out more now! :) x

·
Registered
371 Posts
hey! well pippi is overweight but thats cause about a year and a half ago she was attacked by a dog outside and when i tried to take her for a walk she would roll over the go limp -_- and dont know if you have ever tried dragging a border collie along a street but it aint easy! lol but we are trying to get her out more now! :) x
awww, but that's not your fault. I think LS really meant the willing dogs but lazy owners ;D

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I totally agree with you!
I think some of owners, as well, are feeding bad quality dog food, which could also lead to obesity and are just generally uninformed.

Nice to see you back girlie! :)

You know what Pastel, I think it's a crappy excuse, and you'd be surprised how
many dogs we pet sit that are eating high quality grain free kibble and the dogs
are still fat, because the owner is over-feeding or/and under-exercising. I think
no matter how knowledgeable(or not) the dog owner is regarding nutrition
there are no excuses to a dog being fat, we are all perfectly capable of telling
an obese dog from a dog in shape. Nutrition is EXTREMELY important, and it
goes hand in hand with exercise. It's not enough to put a dog on a good food,
you must stimulate that body and mind imo.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Shannon, keep on trying is my advice. Also you can play with her more often,
run around, play fetch, anything she likes. And also cut down her portions, she
will lose the weight. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice to see you back girlie! :)

You know what Pastel, I think it's a crappy excuse, and you'd be surprised how
many dogs we pet sit that are eating high quality grain free kibble and the dogs
are still fat, because the owner is over-feeding or/and under-exercising. I think
no matter how knowledgeable(or not) the dog owner is regarding nutrition
there are no excuses to a dog being fat, we are all perfectly capable of telling
an obese dog from a dog in shape. Nutrition is EXTREMELY important, and it
goes hand in hand with exercise. It's not enough to put a dog on a good food,
you must stimulate that body and mind imo.
aww thanks LS :)
It was kind of sad though, both the 'breeders' whom i got my babies from, one was on the walmart ol'roy and the other one was on purina :(

I do agree though, I see a LOT of dogs in our neighborhood that look silly they're so obese :S I just smile at them though...One neighbor told me he shouldn't have gotten them fixed >.<

·
Registered
381 Posts
Unfortunately the issue is not only with dogs, but children as well. They sit in front of the tv and play video games, they don't even hold a phone to their ear to talk to friends...I guess that's too strenuous...they have headsets and talk to them via their computer while playing a ridiculous video game.

When I was young we would be OUTSIDE playing, hide and seek, dodge ball, rover rover roll over..I am really dating myself here. But that was our way of life. We got fresh air and exercise and we were healthy.

Just my two cents.

Regina

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Unfortunately the issue is not only with dogs, but children as well. They sit in front of the tv and play video games, they don't even hold a phone to their ear to talk to friends...I guess that's too strenuous...they have headsets and talk to them via their computer while playing a ridiculous video game.

When I was young we would be OUTSIDE playing, hide and seek, dodge ball, rover rover roll over..I am really dating myself here. But that was our way of life. We got fresh air and exercise and we were healthy.

Just my two cents.

Regina
yeah i get told "Apparently" i must do that to be this size :p well for one i maybe watch tv 3 times a week? , dont play video games except sims some times , i got no one to text but i dont go out side playing as there is no where to go and all the kids my age are , going out on nights clubbing , getting drunk , taking drugs having sex LOL so i think most parents would be happy if there 14 year old was doing the things you listed LOL x

·
Registered
371 Posts
They sit in front of the tv and play video games, they don't even hold a phone to their ear to talk to friends...I guess that's too strenuous...they have headsets and talk to them via their computer while playing a ridiculous video game.
but we need both hands to play!!!
LoL, I'm lazy too, at least my dogs are making me exercise.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I agree 100%
People have told me my dogs are too thin! And they are not, its just that their dogs are waddling around and can barely breath. A dogs body is designed to work, run, jump, its agile. It is so unfair to pack pounds on to it to where it can not do the things it is made to do. And exercise is great for the mind, people and animals alike. Just think, when we walk our dogs they smell scents, see things, hear things, their senses are being used and that stimulated their brains.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
My darling Shannon--no way...not buying that excuse. Yes there are kids doing bad things--because they have nothing else to do. You have had to be more independant than many kids because of situations beyond your doing. You can make the good choices. My kids play sports everyday--they are on swim team, golf, futbol/soccer, baseball, softball, Irish dance, sailing karate....they have at least one practice eveerryday most times two. I do not give them time to do any of that other rubbish. Yes, I have a teenage daughter and her friends that have nothing better to do do spend time doing things that are "poor choice" activites. You have to take care of yourself first. Each day thinking about what you are going to do that is good for you. Then you have to think the same about your Tillie too. Just because other kids your age are doing bad things doesn't mean that you will. I think that walking Tillie everyday will be a great thing for both of you....stay strong.
yeah i get told "Apparently" i must do that to be this size :p well for one i maybe watch tv 3 times a week? , dont play video games except sims some times , i got no one to text but i dont go out side playing as there is no where to go and all the kids my age are , going out on nights clubbing , getting drunk , taking drugs having sex LOL so i think most parents would be happy if there 14 year old was doing the things you listed LOL x

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I totally agree! I really dislike seeing an overweight dog. I think some people think they'd have to move heaven and earth to get their dog to lose weight, but it really doesn't take that much.

My family's miniature schnauzer, Fritz, has now passed but when he was alive, he was gaining weight incredibly fast (and on a great local grain free food). It was puzzling us, so we got some tests done and it turns out he had cushing's disease. After trying all the available medications and his body not responding well to any of them, we had to accept the fact that we'd have to make his life comfortable in other ways. The weight gain came at a terrible time, because he was also diagnosed with arthritis and was suffering from an undiagnosed neurological symptom.

I loved that dog so much, and I decided to take on his weight loss as a personal challenge. We supplemented his diet with some really awesome natural arthritis "medicines" so he could move comfortably, and we got him active! It really didn't take much--just a good walk everyday and a slight change in diet. Since his cushing's was not being treated, he couldn't lose all of the weight needed, but we brought him to the point where he was a lot healthier, and I think we really lengthened his life by a LOT.

Whenever I see an overweight dog, I just hope that the owners have had them checked out by a vet.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
My darling Shannon--no way...not buying that excuse. Yes there are kids doing bad things--because they have nothing else to do. You have had to be more independant than many kids because of situations beyond your doing. You can make the good choices. My kids play sports everyday--they are on swim team, golf, futbol/soccer, baseball, softball, Irish dance, sailing karate....they have at least one practice eveerryday most times two. I do not give them time to do any of that other rubbish. Yes, I have a teenage daughter and her friends that have nothing better to do do spend time doing things that are "poor choice" activites. You have to take care of yourself first. Each day thinking about what you are going to do that is good for you. Then you have to think the same about your Tillie too. Just because other kids your age are doing bad things doesn't mean that you will. I think that walking Tillie everyday will be a great thing for both of you....stay strong.
thank you :) i would love to do all that stuff like swimming which i LOVE but i havent got the confidence and i always get laughed at ect. i try to get passed it but it hurts and also i got no one to go with :( my mum cant swim so thats out so lol but here theres barley anything to do as its a run down town tbh as we arent get sent mone from the gov to improve it :( x

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Weight management is a huge issue. I know it seems cruel to feed so little and so controlled but that's the way it is. It just slays me when little dogs with weight problems are allowed to eat from the table, kitchen floor, kids' snack bags . . .

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is simply no excuse for a fat Overweight Chihuahua (unless Medical)
A combination of poor diet and little or no exercise or worse still carrying the Chihuhua around all the time will only make for an unhealthy dog.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Regina, I agree with you. Growing up in the poor Russian country we did not
even have overweight children. Every child played outside all day and ate
everything on their plate without complaining, because there were no Mcdonalds
or chips and cola. I think that living in Canada today, surrounded by so much
junk food and so many gadgets, it is crucial to provide other options to our
children, educate them from an early age about healthy living and lead by
example.

Audreybabypup, I also get told my dogs are thin, and 100% of the time it is by
people with overweight or even obese dogs. I'm with you on everything you said,
absolutely.

Rubia, you sound like an awesome mom, keeping those kids busy and healthy, that
is wonderful. I am sure that they will thank you later in life, because thanks
to you they will be healthier, and better balanced.

KrystalLeigh, good for you for helping Fritz, I'm sure you have helped him live
longer. We had a rescue with hip dysplasia that was very overwight. We put him
on a strict regimen and starting providing him with exercise, and I kid you not
he went from being barely able to walk down the street to RUNNING in the dog
park. He was 33 lbs, lost 8 lbs, so a big chunk of his weight, it did him so
much good, we were able to place him in a great home and he still now leads a
pretty normal life.

Shannon, being active does not need to cost money. Running, walking, jumping,
playing, exercising, is all FREE. When I was your age I was very poor, I had to
work after school every single day and on weekends, and then come home and take
care of my newborn brother. There was no money for swimming lessons and such,
so I walked, I ran, I did sit-ups, push-ups, ran steps, walked my dog three times
per day, etc, free things that kept me in shape. You are no longer a little
girl, you are a teen, you have so much more power than you think, believe in
yourself Shannon, give yourself a kick in the butt and just DO IT. Walking
Tillie is a great suggestion, she needs the walks really bad, and you will also
benefit from them. And Shannon, I understand you are young, but you are not
powerless, what I'm about to say to you I said to my 13 year old brother and he
understood and took it to heart. What I said is "You must stop coming up with
excuses, there are no excuses, every obstacle is an opportunity to learn or to
grow"

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Our neighborhood has several chihuahuas that are very overweight. I feel so sorry for them every time I see them. Some of their owners has commented that Jaxx needs to eat something because he is too thin but I think they are just used to seeing their overweight chis.
One of them even tried to tell me that I walk Jaxx too much because they see us outside so often.
I wish I could do something for these chis that are obviously overweight. I suggested to one of my neighbors that he walk his 9 year old chi more often and perhaps change her diet or how much she is being fed. Unfortunately, I think he just let it go in one ear and out the other. He made excuses that she did not have a lot of energy and he did not have the time to walk her more.
Most people can always find an excuse not to exercise for ourselves and our pets but there is one important reason that exercise is important and that is to be healthy. Our pets deserve the best lives we can give them and exercise is an important part of that.
I enjoy going out and walking Jaxx and spending time outside with the wind blowing and the sun shining. If I am feeling down just going out and walking with Jaxx makes me feel better and he is always doing something silly to make me smile while we are walking, such as chasing the little roadrunner birds and thinking he can actually catch them. After they fly away he always sighs and looks at me like how come you couldn't have walked faster.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts