Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been talking to random people recently about me getting a little dog, and of course they ask what breed.
I respond, "Long Haired Chihuahua"... And Every Time...
Every. Single. Time.
The person says something along the lines of, "Ew!" or "Nice... A rat."
I havent had a single positive response yet...
Sometimes they even start TELLING me that all Chis are shaky, yippie, shy, and bitey.
WTH!?! Seriously??
Its honestly astounding how ignorant SO many people are. The best part about it is they think they are being incredibly intelligent and helpful...

Its the same type of person who thinks ALL German Shepherds, Pitt Bulls, or Doberman Pinschers are mean and vicious, regardless of how they were raised.

Its like racism for dogs... Breedism...

Its SO annoying and frustrating. I try to tell them the truths about Chis, and then they lose all interest and simply stop caring about the subject.
Its rude.
I hate it.
:foxes15:

Thought I would just rant a little to get it off my chest so I dont blow up on someone...
Rant Over.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Weeeell, think about it .... why would the general public at large have such an opinion? Umm, ould it possibly be because soooooo many are like that? Yep, they are, and then you've only got to take a look at their owners to see why, it's not rocket science.

Oh, also, genes is genes and there's not much you can do about them, in people or animals unfortunately!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weeeell, think about it .... why would the general public at large have such an opinion? Umm, ould it possibly be because soooooo many are like that? Yep, they are, and then you've only got to take a look at their owners to see why, it's not rocket science.

Oh, also, genes is genes and there's not much you can do about them, in people or animals unfortunately!
I definitely understand that stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, but to state that every single dog in a certain breed is a certain way is absurd.
There is definitely a balance between Nature and Nurture. But for some reason, people seem to think that Nurture doesnt matter much with dog breeds... I dont get that.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
lol sadly when u do get the new pup its just the beginnings of all the comments you will get. dexter was called a kitten numerous times when he was a pup LOL...people are so strange i swear~~ then he was called a rat and then a papillion o.o

·
Registered
382 Posts
Agreed so much. It's super annoying that whenever I tell people what kind of dog I have, they automatically assume that she's a spoiled little rat that yaps at everything and attacks people heels. It just drives me absolutely crazy.

Though at the same time, you can try to combat those stereotypes. Sometimes when I have company, they meet Stella and they'll tell me, "I didn't know chihuahuas were so sweet!"

My own sister is the worst. She always claims that my Chi is not even a "real" dog. Really, dogs are dogs, no matter what the size! She says she wants "a big dog because they're not like little dogs" that little dogs are the most vicious by nature.

I hate the ignorance. It's been on my mind lately too.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
She says she wants "a big dog because they're not like little dogs" that little dogs are the most vicious by nature.
Hahaha, too funny but she's not entirely wrong in the main - our tinies have to be feisty as hell because they're always being trodden on, stumbled/fallen over, picked up & shook to death by brainless big thug dogs, teased by rug rats, and treated like helpless babies, is it any wonder they suffer "small man's syndrome". Those massive mastiffs & 3 wee Chi's all live with me and it's a no brainer as to who is afraid of whom around here :D

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I think the best thing we can do as chihuahua owners is to raise well rounded, well behaved dogs who can change people's minds about the breed. There are a lot of chihuahuas out there who are under socialized, under exercised and owned by people who should never own a dog. On top of that they are a strong willed breed who are a little more pre disposed to turning barky or scared at the hands of irresponsible owners.

I used to get comments like that- now I get comments like "you have the best behaved chihuahua I have ever met" or "that is the friendliest chi I have ever met" or "OMG- a chi can do agility- and be good at it!!" Several people even introduce Kerri as "the only chihuahua they ever liked!" And I tell those people that it is because I walk, train and socialize her! It has actually sparked a lot of discussions about what chihuahuas are really like and why they get such a bad rap. SO instead of just brushing people off as ignorant I think as a community we can use their comments to educate. And rally can you blame them for thinking that when 90% of the chihuahuas you walk past are being held or carried in a purse and are barking their heads of or snarling?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I also wanted to add that my mother in law still makes lots of comments about us getting a chi- and she is a vet!!!!! But the thing is- she hasn't met her yet. When she visits in a few months and see's a dog with a CGC, a several minute down stay, and a relatively even temper I am sure her mind will be changed. Actions speak way louder than words- it is like people who are afraid of pits, it is just because they have never spent time with a responsible family who owns one. And with any breed ignorance if the person can't be bothered to get to know your dog then you will never change their mind!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hahaha, too funny but she's not entirely wrong in the main - our tinies have to be feisty as hell because they're always being trodden on, stumbled/fallen over, picked up & shook to death by brainless big thug dogs, teased by rug rats, and treated like helpless babies, is it any wonder they suffer "small man's syndrome". Those massive mastiffs & 3 wee Chi's all live with me and it's a no brainer as to who is afraid of whom around here :D
Hehe, I will admit, they can be feisty little things!

When I had a friend take care of her while I was out of town, I kept hearing stories how she was wailing on the big old boxer. She's usually pretty mellow with other dogs, but that one was asking for it.

Though honestly, she's pretty far from the Chihuahua stereotype. Well, except for her being a bit shy and shaky, but she's improved a lot. Most people are surprised by her. When we went to the e-vet several months ago, the vet tech was telling me how she usually dreaded getting Chihuahuas, but she seemed to adore my girl!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I agree with you. It's really frustrating. I really hate the comments about chi's being yappy. Chloe rarely barks. She only does when she's playing with her toys every once in awhile. My mom hasn't even heard her bark yet. She always compliments how quiet and well behaved she is. They are wonderful dogs. It's sad they get a bad rap.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I have always had bulldogs but my husband surprised me with a chi last week,he came in with a pet carrier and my first reaction was ,,why have you got me a bleep bleep cat!,then he got betsy out and I thought this is worse than a cat lol,I don't want a yappy obnoxious little dog getting under my feet,it's taken me a while to get used to the idea of a chi,I've been warned to treat her like a big breed dog otherwise I will regret it!,so she's told off when she's bad which is quite often,proper little chewers aren't they ,well this one is,when I tell people I have a chi they say the exact same thing I thought ,I'm determined to have a well mannered chi that doesn't get on peoples nerves especially mine lol,karen

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I believe without proper training and socialization, many Chis will naturally become the stereotypical type that people think of when they hear of the breed. But a good owner can easily prevent them from developing that sort of personality. I think many people just get a Chihuahua because they're a cute, toy dog that they can spoil and dress up, then ignore the fact that just like any other dog, they need proper training and socialization.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol sadly when u do get the new pup its just the beginnings of all the comments you will get. dexter was called a kitten numerous times when he was a pup LOL...people are so strange i swear~~ then he was called a rat and then a papillion o.o
A kitten?? Really?? Wow... Thats just REAALLY bad... Haha

Agreed so much. It's super annoying that whenever I tell people what kind of dog I have, they automatically assume that she's a spoiled little rat that yaps at everything and attacks people heels. It just drives me absolutely crazy.

Though at the same time, you can try to combat those stereotypes. Sometimes when I have company, they meet Stella and they'll tell me, "I didn't know chihuahuas were so sweet!"

My own sister is the worst. She always claims that my Chi is not even a "real" dog. Really, dogs are dogs, no matter what the size! She says she wants "a big dog because they're not like little dogs" that little dogs are the most vicious by nature.

I hate the ignorance. It's been on my mind lately too.
Im SUPER determined to show everyone that stereotypes arent always true, I cant wait to prove them wrong.
I have also heard a TON that little dogs arent "real" dogs. I understand their reasoning... But genetically speaking....... lol

Oh yeah!! Little dogs definitely need to have a feisty side to simply get along in their lives! Small little buggers need the Napoleon complex! Lol

I think the best thing we can do as chihuahua owners is to raise well rounded, well behaved dogs who can change people's minds about the breed. There are a lot of chihuahuas out there who are under socialized, under exercised and owned by people who should never own a dog. On top of that they are a strong willed breed who are a little more pre disposed to turning barky or scared at the hands of irresponsible owners.

I used to get comments like that- now I get comments like "you have the best behaved chihuahua I have ever met" or "that is the friendliest chi I have ever met" or "OMG- a chi can do agility- and be good at it!!" Several people even introduce Kerri as "the only chihuahua they ever liked!" And I tell those people that it is because I walk, train and socialize her! It has actually sparked a lot of discussions about what chihuahuas are really like and why they get such a bad rap. SO instead of just brushing people off as ignorant I think as a community we can use their comments to educate. And rally can you blame them for thinking that when 90% of the chihuahuas you walk past are being held or carried in a purse and are barking their heads of or snarling?
Like I said, I Completely understand why there is a stereotype. Its literally the same thing with Race.
I definitely plan on educating and proving those people wrong. It will be great.

I agree with you. It's really frustrating. I really hate the comments about chi's being yappy. Chloe rarely barks. She only does when she's playing with her toys every once in awhile. My mom hasn't even heard her bark yet. She always compliments how quiet and well behaved she is. They are wonderful dogs. It's sad they get a bad rap.
I actually read the Chis are the one of the least likely to be yappy, at least with little dogs.
It was part of the reason I chose the breed.
Its very very sad, same with the "vicious" big breeds... :(

My 1st chi was believed to be a baby pot bellied pig because of the pink ears & nose! Lol I'm use to so much ignorance in the world. Some people just can't be trained or told anything because they know everything!! Haha
Pot bellied pig..... Wow. Thats just sad. Haha

If someone says something along the lines of it being a rat, I just tell them I like rats,and then go on to list my many rodents!!! (none of which are rats, but I have so many I bet they wish they'd never mentioned it :))
Hahah. Problem is though... I really dont like rodents... I had plenty while growing up, but their little teeth and paws....... *Shudders*
AND they arent very intelligent. You cant really have a relationship with them like you can with Dogs or Cats.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe without proper training and socialization, many Chis will naturally become the stereotypical type that people think of when they hear of the breed. But a good owner can easily prevent them from developing that sort of personality. I think many people just get a Chihuahua because they're a cute, toy dog that they can spoil and dress up, then ignore the fact that just like any other dog, they need proper training and socialization.
This is sadly very true.
People tend to treat Chis like babies and toys, rather than a pet dog.

I definitely think that there is a wonderfully fine balance between Nature and Nurture. You HAVE to teach your dog the type of behavior you want, Nature doesnt give it to them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.