Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a web site address for UCDavis or Cornell re: vaccination protocol . I would love to read their research data and the recommendations for each type of vaccine. Thanks Kathleen

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Nabi, I'm not aware of any online sources for official vaccine schedules, I do my research based on information obtained directly from the schools, and through medical journals.

Here are addresses of the major vaccine research universities, you can write to them and obtain a copy of their vaccine schedules:

Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616-8747

Cornell University
Hospital for Animals
Box 20
College of
Veterinary Medicine
Cornell University Ithaca, NY
14853-6401

Tufts University
Foster Hospital for Small Animals
200 Westboro Road
North Grafton, Massachusetts 01536

James L. Voss Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Colorado State University
300 West Drake Road
Fort Collins, CO 80523-1620

Phone: (970) 221-4535
FAX (970) 297-4100

Hope this helps! Good luck -Nate

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
This webiste from an animal hospital who says:

THESE ARE THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF DR BOB ROGERS AND CRITTER FIXER PET HOSPITAL BASED ON ;

PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF;

THE AMERICAN VETERINARY MEDICAL ASSOCIATION; COUNCIL ON BIOLOGIC AND THERAPEUTIC AGENTS

TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY

CORNELL UNIVERSITY

COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY

THE AMERICAN ANIMAL HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION

http://critterfixer.com/pages/canine.asp

This guideline appears to be also in line with UCDavis.

-Nate

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hey Nate,
I looked at that chart and it said that Lyme was not recommended because it's not a problem in Texas, well it is here, I don't remember if Charlie recieved this, I think he got a DPL. Would the L be Lyme? Just wondering my sister has lyme's disease and I've had many friends that have gotten it but I've never heard of a vaccine for it. Do you know it Lyme is recommended for Wisconsin?
Thanx,
Jessi :D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there, 85% of cases of Lyme are in 9 New England states and Wisconsin, so I would consult your vet in terms of the vaccination. If it were my dog, I would highly consider it, but if your dog is indoors 90% of the time, and you don't go romping through the woods, I'd say the risk is quite low.

The Lyme vaccine also has possible side effects of polyarthritis since the vaccine is a bacterin vaccine that uses whole cells.

I could be wrong about this but DPL refers to the vaccine adjuvant (what the vaccine is carried) that increases the effectiveness of the vaccine. DPL stands for dephosphorylated lipid A which is a common vaccine adjuvant. I am not 100% about this though, since in a DHLPP combo vaccine, the L refers to leptospirosis, it is possible there is a manufacterer out ther making a Distemper/Parvo/Lepto vaccine (but it would be strange not to include Hepatitis or Parainfluenza) but it is unlikely, as I've never come across it when ordering vaccines for our hospital. However, I am almost positive that no manufacterer makes a combo vaccine that includes Lyme for the specific reason that it commonly causes those side effects I mentioned. If one vaccine is known to cause a dangerous side effect, coupling it with other vaccines makes it difficult for a vet to pinpoint the cause of the problem when making a diagnosis.

Hope this helps!
-Nate

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanx,
It was probably just the addative I don't have his records here and was just trying to remember what they said that was probably just listed on them somewhere. I probably won't do the lyme's vaccine for Charlie because we live in the city (and we're moving to CA in June) but my family has a German Short Hair that spends a lot of time in the woods so I may mention it to my mom so she can ask her vet about it if he isn't already getting it. Thanks again it's great to have knowledgeable people to give advice. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts